3rd party lens performance on SL

Winedemonium

Leica SL with SMC Pentax-FA 77mm f1:1.9 at 1.9

(my ten years old daughter)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by BlackDoc
  • Like 9

Can anyone suggest the best third party AF lens as an alternative to the pricey Leica 50mm SL Summilux but that still has a bit of the 3D separation that the SL lens has?  I have the Novoflex EOS-SL adapter and was thinking about the Canon 35mm f/1.4L II, the Sigma 35mm or 50mm f/1.4 Art lenses, or the Canon 50mm f/1.2L.  The AF does not have to be super speedy but it has to work with the Novoflex.  I am leaning towards the Canon 35mm L just because I slightly prefer the 35mm FOV, but am open to either.  TIA!

Leica SL with Voigtländer Apo Lanthar 125mm SL at f2.5

Edit: Axel Hacke, german journalist

Edited by BlackDoc
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

and now over to something completely different :blink: . SL with Mayer Optic Görlitz Primoplan 50mm f1.9, wide open.

• Like 6

and another one (same lens and aperture).

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Zeiss ZM 35 f/1.4 is probably the best lens that I have on the SL.

• Like 17

Another shot with the Zeiss ZM 35 f/1.4

• Like 10

Can anyone suggest the best third party AF lens as an alternative to the pricey Leica 50mm SL Summilux but that still has a bit of the 3D separation that the SL lens has?  I have the Novoflex EOS-SL adapter and was thinking about the Canon 35mm f/1.4L II, the Sigma 35mm or 50mm f/1.4 Art lenses, or the Canon 50mm f/1.2L.  The AF does not have to be super speedy but it has to work with the Novoflex.  I am leaning towards the Canon 35mm L just because I slightly prefer the 35mm FOV, but am open to either.  TIA!

https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/269686-novoflex-canon-ef-lens-to-leica-sl-adapter-list-of-compatibletested-lenses/

recently I have been pushed in the direction of using alternative lenses with the SL and have warmed to the Zeiss Contax range, cheap but very good.

That led me to discover the Yashica ML series, found this one at the market today Yashica 200/4 ML this was a test snap before parting with my hard earned £45 for it.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

My first post in this section of the forum, I am a new SL owner, and looking forward to getting to grips with this beast.

I also took possession of a brand new 7 Artisans 50mm f1.1 and tried this with the "Leica M - Adapter T". Initially I could not mount the adapter/lens combo, then twigged. The lens needs to be focused at about 12 feet or closer, so as to allow the lens rear cell to not contact the inside of the SL, the flat plat immediately within the lens throat area.

I am sure I am not the only SL owner that also has this lens, Arvin above is posting some lovely shots with this very combo.

Is it that my brand new lens is different to his and the others out there, as it is the only rweal answer.

Anyone else found this?
Gary

• Like 1

My first post in this section of the forum, I am a new SL owner, and looking forward to getting to grips with this beast.

I also took possession of a brand new 7 Artisans 50mm f1.1 and tried this with the "Leica M - Adapter T". Initially I could not mount the adapter/lens combo, then twigged. The lens needs to be focused at about 12 feet or closer, so as to allow the lens rear cell to not contact the inside of the SL, the flat plat immediately within the lens throat area.

I am sure I am not the only SL owner that also has this lens, Arvin above is posting some lovely shots with this very combo.

Is it that my brand new lens is different to his and the others out there, as it is the only rweal answer.

Anyone else found this?

Gary

Gary:

Yes, same with mine. Arvin also had the issue and if not mistaken he had the lens re-milled by the company.  Contact him as to the details.

Rob

• Like 1

SL w 135 f4 elmar (1961) 

This lens is light weigh, quite inexpensive and just super fun to use on the SL. 

• Like 4

Anyone else found this?

Gary

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the SL! It’s such a beautiful camera, isn’t it?

I bought my lens, brand new, directly from 7artisan. Upon asking my camera model, they mentioned something about re-milled 2mm down, otherwise I won’t be able to focus at infinity. This was free of charge.

It’s been working fine since I received it. The more I used it, the happier I am with its performance!

I was worry about it touching the sensor before I bought it and asked Rob about it too. It seems to be ok for me. Just curious, how did you know if the rear element can be in contact with the sensor? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Gary,

Welcome to the SL! It’s such a beautiful camera, isn’t it?

I bought my lens, brand new, directly from 7artisan. Upon asking my camera model, they mentioned something about re-milled 2mm down, otherwise I won’t be able to focus at infinity. This was free of charge.

It’s been working fine since I received it. The more I used it, the happier I am with its performance!

I was worry about it touching the sensor before I bought it and asked Rob about it too. It seems to be ok for me. Just curious, how did you know if the rear element can be in contact with the sensor? Thanks

Hi Arvin.

Thank you for the welcome, I've been a lurker here for a while, but never thought I'd ever splurge as much as the cost of the SL. I did.

My lens came direct from 7artisans as well, but they never asked, and I didn't consider it something I needed to check either, much to my annoyance now. I'll see how we can best sort this, I am happy to retain the lens, but it would need to be modified to fit the SL, otherwise I might as well just use the R 50mm.

Looking at the adapter, and the lens throat, the rear cell would have to protrude a fair distance from the flat of the adapter before it contacted the sensor, I think most are safe, maybe the collapsible lenses, not sure.

Gary

Hi Arvin.

Thank you for the welcome, I've been a lurker here for a while, but never thought I'd ever splurge as much as the cost of the SL. I did.

My lens came direct from 7artisans as well, but they never asked, and I didn't consider it something I needed to check either, much to my annoyance now. I'll see how we can best sort this, I am happy to retain the lens, but it would need to be modified to fit the SL, otherwise I might as well just use the R 50mm.

Looking at the adapter, and the lens throat, the rear cell would have to protrude a fair distance from the flat of the adapter before it contacted the sensor, I think most are safe, maybe the collapsible lenses, not sure.

Gary

I cannot quite remember why, we, the sales of 7artisan and myself, discussed about my camera model. I guess it was because I also speaks Mandarin, so we talked more in general.

Good luck with it. I guess you can always sell it to the M users and buy another one that suit SL.

I haven’t searched the forum yet thoroughly so possibly there have been posts earlier on the performance of Leica 50mm f/1.4 Summilux-R Wetzlar lens on the SL. I have an opportunity to acquire one made in 1972 and wonder if anyone has any experience and Impressions using it on the SL. Thank you.