Upgradeable?

FredR

Advertisement (gone after registration)

An upgradeable camera might be interesting to a manufacturer if it was rented out to users, like jet engines on aeroplanes. Maybe 200€ per month and you could swap it for a refreshed one at any time.

If a new body costs $7000 and I trade it in after two years I would do better.  the only way leica wpould ever do it is if it needed to in order to boost sales and they do not appear to need to do that. Leasing or renting would have to be for a fixed term with an established residual value for it to make economic sense on either side.   Car manufacturers will inflate the residuals to create lower monthly payments but that market is more competitive than digital rangefinders.  

The sad thing about digital is that it has driven many to a disposable mentality.   But we are at a point now where the improvements are incremental rather than huge.   There was great leap forward from the M8 to the M9 and a not quite as great leap from M9 to M(240).  Leica seems to have settled on 24mp as a sweet spot and we are already at full frame with EVF capability, so the next leap IMHO will be much smaller.  That doesn't mean I won't bite again. I am as big a sucker as anyone for a new M.