Problem with New Sensor and Firmware v 1.204

gregkoz1

You can, by using the "service" menu look at the sensor ID which is different for new sensors, new as in non corroding.

AT YOUR OWN RISK: If you make no changes and don't run any of the test or diagnostic items no harm is done.

Power on

Press: Delete -> (using the round button selector up) (2x) -> down (4x) -> left (3x) -> right (3x) -> Info

Cleared by turning the camera off.

Under Hardware you should see something like:
CCD ID 15, CCD Board 2, Control BRD 2, M16CID 0.

The CCD ID of new sensors is 15 and 16 (thought to be the year of manufacture perhaps but not proven, mine is 16 replaced in 2017) 5 and 8 and 11 are old sensors, the MM has a different code. All anecdotal and unconfirmed by Leica but owners have dates returned and data accessed, this despite the sometimes vague Leica paperwork which often does not clearly state what was done.

There are less data points for the Monochrome but it seems that CCD ID 52 = Old MM1 sensor CCD ID 53 = New MM1 sensor

My ID is 7 ;)

I bought the camera from a dealer yesterday. This told me that there would be a new sensor installed. Also I have the firmware 1.202 installed ...

Confirmed by Leica: my M9 had not a new sensor :wacko:

That's a shame but the dealer probably only answered your question, a new (old cover glass) sensor was probably installed before the new cover glass sensor became available.

You need, as do all buyers, to ask the exact question ( new cover glass sensor fitted ?) and for re-sale have paperwork to prove it.

If the camera is good I would not consider returning it as the only option.

Although the exact numbers are unknown, a considerable number of sensors don't corrode, and as time goes on, the number of corrosion problems will keep diminishing. What I would do in your case would be to confront the seller with Leica's answer and give him a choice: either take the camera back or give you a substantial part-refund which you can put towards the potential cost of a sensor replacement.

• Like 1

"the customer pays a share of the replacement costs for the affected CCD sensor amounting to 982 euros (825 euros plus 19% VAT)."

That's the refund needed if the sensor does corrode in the future beyond any warranty the seller is providing.

and as time goes on, the number of corrosion problems will keep diminishing. 

Only because most of them will have been replaced by the new cover glass version surely? 

Edited by chris_livsey

That, and the sensors that haven't been replaced have had plenty of time to corrode - and didn't do so, so are unlikely to develop the fault.

I wouldn't be able to claim "most of them", as the percentage of faulty sensors is known only to Leica. At a guess there are a few hundred of them reported on this forum, but there have been tens of thousands of  M9s sold.

Leica would never have been able to replace that number of sensors in the time given - not even close.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...