Problem with New Sensor and Firmware v 1.204

gregkoz1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Typing              s l o w e r          has       it's            b e n e f I t s .

T h a n k s   J i m.  I     a p p r e c i a t e    y o u   t y p i n g   s l o w e r    b e c a u s e    I    r e a d    s l o w l y.   :lol:

• 5 months later...

Has anyone tried installing 1.7.6 in an M9 fitted with the new replacement sensor? My M9-P came back with the latest firmware installed, complete with the Discrete-mode delayed shutter recocking problem. (I read somewhere than Leica cannot reliably reproduce this behaviour, so has no plan to fix it. They can't be trying very hard – I had the problem about four times in 100 shots during my first outing with the newly-returned camera.)

This bug has been fixed from 1.196 onwards, however  unfortunately it persists in the setting C. The solution is simple, don't use discreet together with Continuous. It makes no sense anyway to combine the two. It is very unlikely that it will ever be fixed.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't use the Continuous setting, but always have the shutter recocking set to Discrete. But during the first and to date the only outing of the camera since its sensor transplant, I noticed that on four occasions the shutter did not recock when I released the shutter button. It did not recock until the red LED had stopped flashing.

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...

There will be no more new firmware for the M9.

Not quite correct, Leica will continue to release new firmware after new lens are introduced so thy can be detected and compensated for on the M9.  I doubt however Leica will change anything else.

• 2 months later...

I just received my M-E from Leica NJ, I sent camera to check possible sensor corrosion issue, it returned yesterday with Firmware 1.210.

I still don´t know if sensor was cleaned or replaced.

After M-E returned from New Jersey, M-E sensor started with corrosion after few weeks, I could tell by pictures that it was the same sensor, so I talk to Wetzlar and send some samples and they asked me to send camera back again to Wetzar, when camera arrive in Germany they said the sensor was already changed, but they will clean it. Now I got a new other sensor which I believe is pristine and a different one.

Monochrom was sent about the same time in mid August 2017 to Wetzlar, while M-E returned in few months, Monochrom took six to come back, I was told it was going to dilate, so I´m very please with Wetzlar services.

M-E has been firmware !.210 since it returned from first trip to New Jersey, it returned with same firmware from Wetzlar on "second sensor not changed", with what I believe is a beautiful new sensor. Monochrom got firmware 1.022 from Wetzlar after new sensor for the first time.

After M-E returned from New Jersey, M-E sensor started with corrosion after few weeks, I could tell by pictures that it was the same sensor, so I talk to Wetzlar and send some samples and they asked me to send camera back again to Wetzar, when camera arrive in Germany they said the sensor was already changed, but they will clean it. Now I got a new other sensor which I believe is pristine and a different one.

Monochrom was sent about the same time in mid August 2017 to Wetzlar, while M-E returned in few months, Monochrom took six to come back, I was told it was going to dilate, so I´m very please with Wetzlar services.

M-E has been firmware !.210 since it returned from first trip to New Jersey, it returned with same firmware from Wetzlar on "second sensor not changed", with what I believe is a beautiful new sensor. Monochrom got firmware 1.022 from Wetzlar after new sensor for the first time.

You can, by using the "service" menu look at the sensor ID which is different for new sensors, new as in non corroding.

AT YOUR OWN RISK: If you make no changes and don't run any of the test or diagnostic items no harm is done.

Power on

Press: Delete -> (using the round button selector up) (2x) -> down (4x) -> left (3x) -> right (3x) -> Info

Cleared by turning the camera off.

Under Hardware you should see something like:
CCD ID 15, CCD Board 2, Control BRD 2, M16CID 0.

The CCD ID of new sensors is 15 and 16 (thought to be the year of manufacture perhaps but not proven, mine is 16 replaced in 2017) 5 and 8 and 11 are old sensors, the MM has a different code. All anecdotal and unconfirmed by Leica but owners have dates returned and data accessed, this despite the sometimes vague Leica paperwork which often does not clearly state what was done.

There are less data points for the Monochrome but it seems that CCD ID 52 = Old MM1 sensor CCD ID 53 = New MM1 sensor
Edited by chris_livsey
  • Like 2

Probably you all already know about this list of programing features that can be access on M9, M-E and Monochrom I.

I share what I have seen on my M-E and Monochrom cameras, according to what chris_livsey share two days ago, to access AT OWR OWN RISK.

This is the list seen on both of my cameras:

Firmware info

Body debug data

Production test

Sensor test

Display check

EEPROM check

Hardware IDs

Raw buffer 0

BF Status on/off

Registers SD-cards

ASM setup

Black Shading 

Dual Output Corr.

Color shading

SD low power mode 

Dual output temp.

UBLDR

SDtest

Beeper test

Normal info dialog

Any comments are welcome 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve happily used my M9-P since buying it in 2012 with no concerns over the sensor corrosion issue.....with the exception of a small mark showing in the top corner which I’ve tended to ignore and clean up in Lightroom.

Just bought an M10 to be surprised that my dealer refused to take my otherwise mint M9-P in part exchange, saying that they would not consider selling them in their used stock due to sensor issues. Is this the corrosion issue or are there other problems lurking?

Just bought an M10 to be surprised that my dealer refused to take my otherwise mint M9-P in part exchange, saying that they would not consider selling them in their used stock due to sensor issues. Is this the corrosion issue or are there other problems lurking?

I think it is the sensor issue.  My dealer won't accept a M9, MM, M-E body without documentation from Leica that the sensor has been replaced.  I've always believed that the worst position to be in with one of the models that experience sensor corrosion is to have one of the many cameras that didn't experience the problem.  Leica won't perform the (once) free replacement and dealers don't want it.  Even though there is data to show that many (most?) did not experience corrosion the internet "wisdom" seems to be that all will eventually.  So any buyer of these models will factor the cost of sensor replacement into the purchase price.

Edited by Luke_Miller
  • Like 1

That's a shame on the trade in J.

You can tell me how you like the M10 one day :)

• Like 1

I think the M9 and its sibling cameras without the corrosion-free sensor will continue to be a lot more difficult to sell, as long as they are still being sold at a price that, when combined with Leica's sensor replacement charge, will amount to a figure higher than that of those already with the new sensor. 

I think the M9 and its sibling cameras without the corrosion-free sensor will continue to be a lot more difficult to sell, as long as they are still being sold at a price that, when combined with Leica's sensor replacement charge, will amount to a figure higher than that of those already with the new sensor.

Do you know what the price of a sensor replacement is?