Problems whit film back cover in my R8

ruiespanhol

Advertisement (gone after registration)

:( The film back cover of my R8 give problems since my last job.

It was no problems whit film scratch my R8 is from last batch so this ´´bug`` was solve however it was the covering just take off near the small LCD !

My R8 still remains under warranty and Leica agency here in Portugal just start to solve problem change the back when comes from Solms but I would like to know if any menber of this forum have the same problem whit the back cover of R8.

Regards,

my R8 also had a back where the cover was kinda loose. Actually, where you put your right thumb on the back, it made a sound as if the cover was loose from the metal itself. The camera was sent back to Leica for an exchange of the back, and the current one is ok. The only "unintentional" side effect was that my camera is now made in Portugal rather than in Germany since the engravings on the back were different. Too bad !

Haven't had that particular problem, but the cover on my R8 winder came loose. I re-glued it a couple of times, but it is now stretched out of shape. In order to get a replacement, Leica says you need to buy the whole battery holder/grip and have them reinstall.

I'm doing without it for the time being :)

Pascal,

Remember all the R8 or 9 is made in Portugal so the labell ´´made in Germany`` is purely one ´´´prestige`` labell nothing more.

Regards,

hi ruiespanhol,

some of the R8 where made in Portugal and some in Solms, but all R9 are definitly only manufactured in Solms.

So it is no "prestige label" , so what, the R8 from Portugal are the same specification like zhe other ones from Solms. It should be no difference.

regards Reimar

Hi Rui,

my R8 does not show the symptoms yours obviously has. Instead I notice that it sometimes produces scratches on the film. In your post you indicated that this is a known bug. Because I have not heard anything about it before do you have more infomation?

Btw: my R8 is an earlier model.

Thanks

Marcus

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Rui,

sub-assemblies of the R8 (and presumably also the R9) have been made at the Leica plant in Portugal, but final assembly of many R8 and all R9 cameras have been done in Solms, Germany. Of the R8 camera, some (later) batches have indeed been 100% made at the plant in Portugal.

While "made in Germany" may be deemed a "prestige label" by some, it has indeed a certain value that is often visible in pricing (for instance, second hand).

In my case, since my R8 was "made in Germany" when I originally received it, I deplore that it has been converted into one "made in Portugal". Not because this would mean lower quality or so, of course not. But in terms of resale value, "made in Germany" is a better argument, especially for a German company, than "made in Portugal". It may be considered insignificant or even ridiculous by some, but it does have its own attraction.

hi ruiespanhol,

some of the R8 where made in Portugal and some in Solms, but all R9 are definitly only manufactured in Solms.

So it is no "prestige label" , so what, the R8 from Portugal are the same specification like zhe other ones from Solms. It should be no difference.

regards Reimar

Mumu,

All the R9´s are made in Portugal only the final assembly is done at Solms.

I stay in 2003 at Leica factory here in Portugal and see whit my eyes the assembly of that cameras and M cameras too.

I still not understand the paronoia whit the ``made in Germany`` labell if the product was not 100 made there why is so important?

For me is important the quality of product not the country of is made and I see problems and tec. failures in both Portuguese and German made products so no one is better then other I think.

I hope the people not think we the Portuguese are 3º people class ore something like that because is the opinion I have when I read some posts like that.