Availability

dgktkr

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It does sound like the logistics of getting the SL out are going to be tricky for Leica.  To whom does your shop sell that 24-90 L lens that is now sitting orphaned?  I guess the idea is that after shooting every M/R lens in their inventories, the early body-only buyers will be back in the next credit card billing cycle. I'll watch this thread for the point where it shifts over to discussing 24-90 Vario-Elmarit availability.

scott

As a body-only customer, I hope you're wrong! :(

Agree with Vec. Some dealers are simply being opportunistic. 

Re: svenjosh - your dealer gets a heads up on incoming orders via the invoice from Leica. He can also see the # of units that he'll be getting. 

I would say that I picked up the zoom lens with my SL and it's been refreshing. Perhaps it's a function of having lowered expectations, but the combination of a speedy and responsive AF and a brilliant lens has been refreshing.

Exactly why I decided to order it ... I wanted that option when it seemed apropos. I haven't used it yet, still having too much fun working with and learning the SL using my R lenses, but the Howitzer 24-90 is patiently awaiting its turn. 

BTW, I did jump on that NOS Rodenstock polarizing filter deal on Ebay that Wilson mentioned. A quality, coated 82mm polarizing filter for £50 was too good to miss. It arrived on Saturday (fast service to the USA!) and is very nicely finished, looks just like my 72mm B+W polarizer which cost more than twice as much. A good deal, thanks for mentioning it, Wilson!

It does sound like the logistics of getting the SL out are going to be tricky for Leica.  To whom does your shop sell that 24-90 L lens that is now sitting orphaned?  I guess the idea is that after shooting every M/R lens in their inventories, the early body-only buyers will be back in the next credit card billing cycle. I'll watch this thread for the point where it shifts over to discussing 24-90 Vario-Elmarit availability.

The information with the 24-90 lens implies that it will also work with the T body once the T's firmware 4.1 update is available. I doubt it's a primary market, but for those who have extensive Leica systems it at least means that the lens will work with more than just the SL camera. 

As a body-only customer, I hope you're wrong! :(

I got my Leica SL yesterday. I was second in the list, and both his first and third customers pre-ordered and got the SL without the 24-90 lens. So no worries, Leica is shipping body only too. Anyway they are is separate boxes, so not sure it will be an issue.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My local dealer got a shipment yesterday with my name on it  :) .

body: 2015/11/3

zoom: 2015/10/14

I was very pleasantly surprised that it came in so quickly (about 2 weeks after I placed an order). Apparently, my long term relationship with my local brick and mortar dealer made a difference.

In this part of the world (Silicon Valley) demand is still greater than supply.

dgktkr

Got mine from Red Dot this afternoon. The nice people there charged up the spare battery while I was on my way, so I've had no delay getting into it.

I passed on the 24-90SL and picked up the 80-200R instead - its probably heavier, especially including the adapters.

No problems so far :)

Grrrr. I could have sold you my 80-200/f4-R (just serviced by Will van Manen) at non-dealer price, as I have a 90-280 on order. 

Wilson

• Like 1

You don't happen to have the 60R Macro, ROM version?  :) Non-dealer price?

No afraid not. the only two R lenses I have are the 80-200 and a Hartblei 80mm Super Rotator Tilt-Shift lens. I use a Novoflex bellows and 50mm/f2 ZM Planar or 65mm/f3.5 Elmar-V for Macro. I was contemplating buying either the 60mm Zeiss Contax Macro Planar or the 100mm ones, as I like the way their built in extension tubes work and I have a Novoflex Contax to M adapter. However, I am not sure I would use either enough to warrant spending around £500-600. 

Wilson

Called precision camera in Austin tx Monday to be added to the list. 2 people were ahead of me. Received a call in the afternoon that the lens was in. Received a call Tuesday early afternoon. The body was in. Picking it up tomorrow. That was quick. 

Called precision camera in Austin tx Monday to be added to the list. 2 people were ahead of me. Received a call in the afternoon that the lens was in. Received a call Tuesday early afternoon. The body was in. Picking it up tomorrow. That was quick. 

Funny, but I called them two weeks ago and was told they won't be carrying the SL. I asked him to confirm as I thought this was odd, as I have been buying from them for many many years...the salesman came back and said yes they will not carry the SL.

I called another Leica Store and in response to "Do you have the SL in stock?"...I was asked "is that a camera?"  

Now this is a Leica store that ONLY sells Leica...why on earth would this person be allowed to take phone calls?

To whom does your shop sell that 24-90 L lens that is now sitting orphaned? 

That shouldn't be a problem at all...and there is absolutely no reason for a dealer to force the lens on buyers. 

That being said, the 24-90 should be considered a must have. The lens produces spectacular images...and the AF is one of the key advantages of the SL. Contrary to common belief by diehard M shooters (by the way I'm one), there are times when a shot is simply impossible to capture without AF. The AF lens adds a significant advantage to the SL. I have a dozen M and R lenses, including the R 24-70...but none of these completely replace the SL lens.

I bought the lens thinking I would try it out and just sell it later if it didn't meet my expectations...so far it has exceeded them and it isn't going anywhere. For that matter, I can't wait for the SL version of the Summilux and I already own two 50mm lenses (M Summilux and M Noctilux). 

For those that have criticized the new Leica lenses that use in camera corrections...you don't know what you are missing.