Leica M (Typ 262) - Reduction to Rangefinder Photography (at 1000 € less)

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I went back and read the quote again.  

"Another great aspect,” the Italian continues, “is the combination between the sensor and the lens.” The Leica M (Typ 262) lens is very compact so the quality of the images taken with a sensor that is designed for the lens results in very crisp images. The sensor is an evolution of the Leica M sensor; a full frame sensor that uses the micro-lenses to bring all available light to the pixel. This can definitely be noticed in the quality of the color, micro sharpness, and the resolution of 24 MP, the best resolution for a full-frame sensor."

One could infer that the same chip was used with a different micro-lens array than the M240.   The M240 was marketed as a solution for R lenses.   Perhaps the best compromise for R and M lenses is a different compromise than for M lenses only?   The removal of live view also removed the functionality requirement for R lenses - thus a new micro-lens array?   It is likely that only reviews by users familiar with the M typ 240 and typ 262 will be in a position discern the difference.   I will look for those reviews with interest.

Lets look at that again...

"The Leica M (Typ 262) lens is very compact so the quality of the images taken with a sensor that is designed for the lens results in very crisp images"

The Leica M (of any type) is an interchangeable lens camera... so this doesn't make any sense whatsoever. However, it IS true for the fixed lens, software corrected, Leica Q

I think that somehow this guy you have quoted has mixed up the Leica M (Typ 262) and the Leica Q... 

Where did you get this quote from again?

Edited by Bill Livingston

Lets look at that again...

"The Leica M (Typ 262) lens is very compact so the quality of the images taken with a sensor that is designed for the lens results in very crisp images"

The Leica M (of any type) is an interchangeable lens camera... so this doesn't make any sense whatsoever. However, it IS true for the fixed lens, software corrected, Leica Q

I think that somehow this guy you have quoted has mixed up the Leica M (Typ 262) and the Leica Q... 

I think he just means that the M lens is generically a small lens. Referring to the M lens as a type, he didn't need to use the plural. Maybe?

Edited by Peter H
  • Like 2

It looks good to me. If I was in the market for an M240 (which I'm not as I'm happy with the one I have), I'd be inclined to buy this. I never shoot video and rarely use live view as I can't see well enough to focus with it.

If it didn't have the back screen? It would be a complete no-no. Seriously guys, if you don't want a screen, switch it off. The fate of the M60 shows that the market for a camera with no screen is very small indeed.

• Like 1

Just read it.

A classic example of where a partial quote can be taken to mean something entirely different.

He is talking about the fact that the sensors as used in all Leica M cameras are designed to be used with the M series lenses. There is plenty on here that explains that fully... 

The fact remains that this sensor is the same as the 240 sensor, with maybe a few things 'not wired up'. It is not a different sensor, nor an improved sensor.

No more than the M-E sensor was any different to the one in the M9 or M9-P

Again, isn't the camera concept of the 262 enough?

I think it is a brilliant solution for quite a few members/customers without adding 'extras' that are not really there... 

• Like 2

I think he just means that the M lens is generically a small lens. Referring to the M lens as a type, he didn't need to use the plural. Maybe?

Having now read now the original article since the actual link was posted, yes, thats exactly what he was saying.

Thank you Peter... :)

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

​I'm confused. Is the new M 262 the same size and weight of the M9 if so I am very interested.

I have a M-P 240 which I really like except the added size and weight over the M9 and I never use live view, video and I tried the EVF but hatted it.

M-P is exactly same size as M9. Extra weight, yes, but size - NO

• Like 4

Having now read now the original article since the actual link was posted, yes, thats exactly what he was saying.

Thank you Peter... :)

The typ 262 was referenced in the same paragraph. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Whether the suthor made a mistake is snother story

The typ 262 was referenced in the same paragraph. I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. Whether the suthor made a mistake is snother story

No, we are not disagreeing. I think there is simply a slight misunderstanding regarding what he was saying in the article.

If you re-read the article (and anything else that discusses micro lenses on sensors for a M series lens) then you will see what he is actually saying.

I originally thought he had made an error, based on the abbreviated quote. He didn't, it was a quote out of context which I then jumped on... when really I should have read the article first and then re-explained it to you.

I wonder why Leica kept the M 262 a secret for 1,5 years. At a German forum, somebody is complaining about Boccalini's pictures in the blog being from May/June 2014. Since I actually am from Vienna, I have to say that the guy is right... One picture even shows an Austrian newspaper that makes it easy to research the date.

Assuming all is right (pictures were taken with the 262 as implied by the blog), the M 262 has been around for longer than most Japanese cameras live.

I'm curious about this too.  Out of all the changes, this is the most important to me because I often photograph in audio-sensitive environments like quiet music concerts or on film sets.

The answer was found here...  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2015/11/leica-m-typ-262/

The re-cocking system is new, both quieter and faster.

Jeff

• Like 1

I don't see the necessity of making the camera smaller.

It depends on your hand size I guess, mine is average and I feel a much better sense of clamp pressure in using my M6 than the M240. In the grand scheme of things, the size difference is negligible. However in actual use it makes a bigger difference than I would have thought, so much so that I had to add patches of Griptac on the back thumb rest area of the 240 to make it feel more secure. 

If it uses the same battery as the 240 and depending on the feature set like the buffer and other things, I might be tempted. I suppose I will rent it when Lensrentals gets it in, the quieter shutter could be reason enough. 

The price sure is right, harkens back to the day I paid $4,750 for a new M8 from B&H.

Edited by Ai_Print

It depends on your hand size I guess, mine is average and I feel a much better sense of clamp pressure in using my M6 than the M240. In the grand scheme of things, the size difference is negligible. However in actual use it makes a bigger difference than I would have thought, so much so that I had to add patches of Griptac on the back thumb rest area of the 240 to make it feel more secure.

Exactly. The M6, in hand, feels natural. The M9 does not. I don't have little hands. :)

The weight saving alone will make me "upgrade" from the M240. Had they only made it 3mm thinner as well B) But all in all I like the direction Leica is going with it.

Smaller, lighter, yes :)

I understand this is camera is simply "240 light", and that's a good thing. If the new 240 is still the same footprint, it will need to have more features, like onboard EVF to justify it's purchase for many.

But a light M6 footprint would have many many, reaching for their wallets.

Edited by uhoh7
  • Like 3

It is actually the other way around: they removed video features by means of software "castration", therefore it would be a little odd to still have video related buttons.

Again, this is just a castrated M240. I wonder why so many Leica users are so positive about castration.

The M262 retains all the Leica balls anyone will ever need.