Leica M (Typ 262) - Reduction to Rangefinder Photography (at 1000 € less)

LUF Admin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What about the rumors that the Leica SL is the death knell for the Leica M System? Or about the next Leica M having an electronical viewfinder?

Only a month later the Leica M (Typ 262) proves the opposite. The Leica M262 is no successor to the Leica M240 but reduces to the essential, in this case to the rangefinder photography. New to Leica: Even the price was reduced…

In a nutshell: The Leica M (Typ 262) lacks live view and video functionality but costs 1000€ less than the Leica M240.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

» More information in the Leica Forum Blog
  • Like 7

Excellent!

I actually like the flexibility of my Leica M240P, even if I don't use it that much, and I much prefer the look of the M-P version with the traditional script on the brass top plate...  but for those that objected to video or Live View, this is a very nice option.

The reduction in price will suggest to some that there was in fact a cost to Live View or video, but I suppose we will just have to grit our teeth and let them think that... the real reason for the reduction is to allow Leica to offer a simpler version of the M in order for them to reduce the price and increase sales prior to a new model next year.

This is effectively the new M-E I suppose...

Good move... and hopefully a successful one! No excuse now for some of those who fought against the original M or the M-P!!!

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 4

Having just (last month) purchased an M-P 240 last month I'm still quite happy with my decision. All things being equal, today I would have made the exact same decision. While I don't use live view too often, when I mount up a 15mm lens I rather like it. (and I personally don't much care for the EVF for one-offs like that) Ditto for video -- not used often, but it's handy sometimes.

Whew -- now I can continue to let my credit card cool off!  :-)

The other announcement which is even more interesting (to my mind) is the 'a la carte' option now available for the M type 240...

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-news/2015/11/leica-m-typ-240-a-la-carte/?utm_source=20151119en&utm_medium=E-Mail

I'm very happy with my M-P as I love the look and it is pretty much what I would have chosen anyway... and the new a la carte version has the 2G buffer... But its another option for new M users... 

• Like 2

This is a great idea for those who do not want an EVF or live view or video.   While I have no use for video, the EVF/Liveview aids in framing wides and focusing teles, which are things I use it for.  I also will sometimes use the EVF to look at actual exposure while I am shooting in manual mode and fine tune exposure adjustments on the fly.  So while this is not a camera for me, I am very pleased that leica continues to pay attention to the core M user.

• Like 6

I was wondering what this would be. I just purchased a gorgeous MP 240 Safari kit and was happy with that decision no matter what, but it would have made me a wee bit sad to find out I missed the next generation digital M by a week.

This looks like a great option, especially for those shooting normal focal lengths in the 24-90mm range who want simpler and lighter. Kudos Leica, for giving even more choice!

• Like 1

I got one of my M240's for $1000 under new, the other for $1700 under, and although I have never and will never use movie mode I have the button disabled and forget it's there.  Live view I admit has its uses, primarily I can now capture small details (extreme close ups) I formerly had to sacrifice while travelling unless I wanted to draga Visoflex with me; plus, I no longer need to carry several accessory finders and switch them to and fro when I'm using 12-15-21 lenses.  And the shutters in my M240's are quiet enough that unless the new one was electronic and thus completely silent, it wouldn't be compelling. 

The weight listed is 600g, vs 680g for the M240.  No way an aluminum top plate alone could account for an 80g difference.  So either there was some other gutting or replacement of metal parts with plastic one's, or else they listed the 262's weight without battery to make it seem a lot lighter than the 240...wouldn't put it past marketing types to do that sort of thing ;)

What would have made such a camera attractive to me is if they left off the LCD and made it as thin and light as an M4.  The M60 proved it can be done elegantly.

Edited by bocaburger
  • Like 1

Yep, scratched my head at first but a smart move.

Consolidate the M9/M-E lines to a CMOS sensor and simple M functionality, quieten down the trigger and drop the price to keep people moving into the M system.

Also give people a choice based on features and open up the gap to a new M next year which pushes the boundaries.

My only gripe is they've really got to work on slimming down the M's and getting rid of the bloat. Reducing the weight is one thing, but getting back to the sleekness of the film M's should be the target.

• Like 3

Yes, a good move by Leica.   I doubt it cost too much to develop, yet it adds a lower priced entry into the digital M world whilst at the same time delivering a more 'pure' back to basics experience for those that prefer it.

• Like 1

100 gram weight reduction, 1000 Euro price reduction, this is a very intelligent move, filling a niche identified via two-years worth of caterwauling on this forum.  Glad I have a 240, but this is a really excellent offer for M9 users who don't need Live View and who, three years on, may have become comfortable (as they should) with the transition to CMOS. 

• Like 1