Leica M8 Framing

jedilost1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi everyone, just wanted to know how everyone gets around issues with framing on the M8. I've noticed that when I use my 50mm and 35mm lenses, the images won't be correctly framed according to what I saw within viewfinder frame lines. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated as I've just been putting up with it

I love this camera and sensor

All M's...not just the M8...have framing issues with regard to focus distance.  The lines also shift due to parallax.  See #12 and #13 in the FAQ...  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/216580-leica-m8-m82-m9-m9p-mm-mtyp240-faqs-questions-with-answers/?p=2464054   

You should also read the rest of the FAQ for more useful info.

As a separate issue, you probably are already aware that the M8 has a 'cropped' sensor, i.e., your 50 is still a 50 focal length, but the field of view is 1.33x50, or roughly equivalent to 67mm.  Likewise, your 35 has a FOV roughly equal to 47mm.    Still, what you see is roughly what you get, subject to the above FAQ.

Welcome to RF life.

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

All M's...not just the M8...have framing issues with regard to focus distance.  The lines also shift due to parallax.  See #12 and #13 in the FAQ...  http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/216580-leica-m8-m82-m9-m9p-mm-mtyp240-faqs-questions-with-answers/?p=2464054   

You should also read the rest of the FAQ for more useful info.

As a separate issue, you probably are already aware that the M8 has a 'cropped' sensor, i.e., your 50 is still a 50 focal length, but the field of view is 1.33x50, or roughly equivalent to 67mm.  Likewise, your 35 has a FOV roughly equal to 47mm.    Still, what you see is roughly what you get, subject to the above FAQ.

Welcome to RF life.

Jeff

Hmm, I've been using a number of M cameras for years..mostly film cameras and never really noticed that much of an issue with framing except with the M8

Thank you for the link

I use a chimp and re-compose method for critical tripod work. The Framelines are almost always conservative

I did have s problem after a repair at Leica NJ. I kept chopping off heads or arms (depending on horizontal or vertical composition). I too have been using M cameras since the 1980s. I was very frustrated and eventually determined that the frameline mask from a M9 was installed. Leica NJ was very responsive with a correction

Edited by lm_user