Exposure compensation preview & AEL/AFL metering memory lock problems

• 4 weeks later...

I've experienced the same exposure compensation issue as others. Live preview shows on negative adjustments, not positive. Have reset camera, removed battery and card, etc. several times, and the problem remains. Just checked firmware version and confirmed I have 1.1. Any suggestions about how to fix the problem? Thank you in advance.

Just tested exposure compensation on my Q and both the EVF and the rear screen show the effects of both negative and positive exposure compensation.  I tested this in aperture priority mode only.  I wonder if this problem is only with the earlier manufactured Q's.  Leica may have found the problem and corrected it, but failed to notify previous buyers.  My Q was manufactured on 11/11/2015.

Just tested exposure compensation on my Q and both the EVF and the rear screen show the effects of both negative and positive exposure compensation. I tested this in aperture priority mode only. I wonder if this problem is only with the earlier manufactured Q's. Leica may have found the problem and corrected it, but failed to notify previous buyers. My Q was manufactured on 11/11/2015.

Have you tried this in low light environment with no high luminosity part in the frame? I only have this problem in these conditions. No problem in daylight.

I also just tested on my Q and only have this problem in dim light conditions on EVF and LCD. I also have noticed that in very dim light conditions and manual focus mode the magnificated image is darker in comparison to the unmagnified image.

I think that in order to keep a noise free image at a high frame rate in the display the camera has to reduce the luminosity, and hence prevents the preview of an overexposed image that would require either a display ISO increase, or frame rate decrease. 

I think there's a threshold beyond which the camera cannot display simulated overexposure; it's not a bug, the camera simply can't amplify the image on the LCD/EVF any more. You can easily find different lighting conditions where the Exposure Compensation will display at maximum +3 or +2 or +1 Exp Comp, but then in very low light levels won't display any at all simply because it can't amplify the signal. This is easily demonstrable; I'm in a room with a light well, it is late in the day. If I point the camera toward the light well, I can dial in +3 and it displays as expected. If I point the camera in the middle of the room, away from the well, I can dial in +1 or a little more and have it display. After +1 or so the display won't change, but the resulting image will be overexposed as expected. If I point the camera toward the far end of the room, where it is dimmest, I can't dial in overexposure simulation at all, but the resulting photo will show the overexposure. This seems to be a hardware limitation; I don't see it getting "fixed."

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just went back and measured the areas in my test in case anyone wanted to try it for themselves. The light well with +3 exp comp availble is 7 EV, the middle area with +1 exp comp available is 4.5 EV, and the dim area with +0 exp comp is 3 EV. I think the camera gets below 4 or 3.5 EV and all bets are off. Changing the ISO or shutter speed has no function; it's strictly the circuitry in the data pipe. That's my theory, anyway.

Have not tried this in low light, but will do that and report on the results.

Just tried it and found that in dim lighting conditions the EVF and LCD do not reflect the results of exposure compensation the same way they do in daylight, but the actual pictures do reflect the exposure compensation.

The concensus on this issue seems to be that there is a problem with the Q previewing over exposure on the LCD & EVF in poor light. I cannot accept that a camera at this price point should have such an issue when the camera I am upgrading from, at a third of the price (a Fuji X100s) has no problems whatsoever previewing over exposure in all lighting conditions. I do consider this to be a fault and will try to contact Leica.

• 6 months later...

Just tried it and found that in dim lighting conditions the EVF and LCD do not reflect the results of exposure compensation the same way they do in daylight, but the actual pictures do reflect the exposure compensation.

Ditto. 10 month old Q with V2.0 firmware.