Cleaning the T sensor

Learner

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Upsetting yesterday to see a few spots in my T pictures. Don't know whether they're dust, pollen, or factory oil. I have three T lenses but I'm not swapping all the time. I change the lens at home and only go out with camera and one lens ... I leave the others at home.

I wrecked an M sensor when cleaning it and so am loathe to attempt cleaning the T sensor. Will likely send the camera to the dealer.

Is there anything special about cleaning the T's sensor? Is is safe  as a first step to use a Rocket blower into an an inverted T?

Any thoughts / advice for me and others?

Would like the T2 to have built-in cleaning. How difficult / pricey is it to incorporate self-cleaning into a camera the size of the T?

Just wondering if "undesirables" can only enter the T through the lens opening... How about via an empty battery chamber?

Edited by Learner

Now that I've calmed down, here's what I'm going to do:

-- Be more accepting of some blemishing... Realize that it's almost impossible to avoid blemishes if one changes lenses.

-- Edit out blemishes visible on "keepers", as against blue sky... Most of the pix I take are not worth hanging on to.

-- When the sensor gets really dirty, send it to the dealer... Once a year??

-- Be judicious as to when / where I'm changing lenses.

Is that a sensible plan?

Edited by Learner

Sensible, if a little conservative. 

It can't hurt to inspect the sensor visually against a moderately bright and uniformly lit surface to see what the cause of the specks on your images actually is. The course of action would depend on what you find but I would imagine that most likely you can avoid sending the camera out (and not having it around for a while).

• Like 1

Thank you Christoph...

Just took a gander at the sensor... Can see no blemishes with the naked eye.

Are you a believer in the Rocket blower? I have heard that the blower, especially an old one, can expel dust from its own innards.

Edited by Learner

Remember to stop down to F16.

The reduced light will expose where the sensor blemish/dust is and you can then focus the rocket blower to the right spot on the sensor.

Finally, take an F16 snap against a plain background (white wall, blue sky etc..) to see if it is properly clear.

Is there a need to set down to f16? Always thought what you see with the lens removed is the full sensor. Learn something new everyday. 

Stopping down will narrow the beam of light leaving the lens. It will produce sharper shadows of any particles of lint or dust sitting on the sensor.

When using a background which is far away (the sky, e.g.), focus the lens to a short distance as possible. When using a background which is quite close (a wall or door), set your lens to infinity, This will make it easier to tell dust on the sensor from any anything in front of the lens such as birds in the sky or nails in the wall.

When in doubt take several shots, varying the position or orientation of the camera. Anything which moves between shots is in front of the camera. Anything which remains stationary with respect to the frame is on the sensor. 

• Like 1

Is there a need to set down to f16? Always thought what you see with the lens removed is the full sensor. Learn something new everyday. 

He is talking about taking a picture that shows clearly where the dust is. You do that with the lens on the camera. With a small aperture (f16), pointed to an out of focus flat surface, you will see the dust more clearly. Then you remove the lens to clean the sensor. After that you mount the lens again and take a new picture to check if your cleaning worked.

You see the full sensor with the lens attached as well.

Remember.........If you see a dust spot on the top of a picture it is actually on the bottom of the sensor.

• Like 1

He is talking about taking a picture that shows clearly where the dust is. You do that with the lens on the camera. With a small aperture (f16), pointed to an out of focus flat surface, you will see the dust more clearly. Then you remove the lens to clean the sensor. After that you mount the lens again and take a new picture to check if your cleaning worked.

Ah... I understand better now. Thanks.