Leica SL Image Thread ...post your examples here ....

thighslapper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Intelligence? (or just squirrel hunting)

SL with 75 APO Summicron

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Having tested an SL just before buying one a couple of days ago, and now being inspired by telling images posted above, I thought this revealed a lot about some of the body's incredible capability that left me very, very impressed.

90mm Elmarit-M @f/2.8  ISO 6400 with no noise reduction (honest!). Those dark, speckled and glazed colors are accurate right out of the box. You see the background fabric texture (not banding) in the backdrop.

Edited by gpwhite
  • Like 11

Thank you Jono,

It's my bank manager I'm worried about... And my wife.

When she supported me in buying my 240 M-P it was because she knew I had wanted an M all my life (we have family history with Leica... my grandfather bought one of the very first in the late twenties and it was lost to the family when it was passed to a friend of his in his camera club when he died).

The reality is, I can't afford one just now, especially as I have promised my son a Q for when he goes to Cambodia and Laos next summer.

Fabulous work again,  from both you and Thighslapper...  and all you others... There is something really lovely about seeing things done so well... both in the camera's design and execution and the use it is being put to...

Edited by Bill Livingston
  • Like 1

22860168049_299d033b8e_o.jpg
Leica SL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
ISO 50 @ f/1.7 @ 1/400

This is one of those cases where the SL's internal JPEG engine almost did a better job than I did with LR 6.3 on rendering the reds, but I managed to do it one notch better in the end. At least to my eye ...  :rolleyes:
  • Like 10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Very impressed with my new SL after using it all weekend

I was surprised how good the images were when I saw Jono's article in the PDF format  worth checking.

Article in html   http://www.slack.co.uk/2015/The_Leica_SL.html

Article in PDF format  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3808779/The%20Leica%20SL%20Pages.pdf 

• Like 1

I downloaded and installed the iOS "Leica SL" app last evening on both iPhone 6 and iPad mini 3. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it works, looks like a very nice plus for the camera, much like the Olympus app. I can see it helping with tabletop work in particular. 

Good stuff! 

• Like 1

Anything done in post processing? The color and image quality is outstanding.

just WB taken from the pearls on the necklace .... a few zits spotted out (only noticeable on the full size image) and sharpen/de-noise ........ oh and a bit of clarity added to the eyes 

to be honest the original at this size with just WB correction looks almost identical. 

• Like 1

You must be REALLY pleased with your SL, Thighslapper.

You have produced some incredible results since you got it. Stunning, in fact.

Thanks Bill, yes it has surprised even me, who had no great expectations and had nagging doubts that it would be heavy and not add much to my existing arsenal. Unfortunately it now seems to be my 'go to' camera with the M246 and Q limping along behind. 

It is a pleasure to use once you have it set up to suit and get mentally locked in to where everything is in terms of controls. Can't fault the image quality ...... and minimal post processing elevates the best images into something special. Thankfully LR now has a decent default profile so life is easy compared to the M240 at launch (awful WB, bad reds and skin colour, no LR profile for ages).  :D

• Like 2

Morning Light (Dazzle)

with 24-90

• Like 10

Concentration

with 60mm macro elmar R

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

Not being able to contribute SL photos to this thread, am I allowed a comment?

There are some gorgeous photos in this thread though I feel I'm missing what differences these show compared with M photos.

I can see that the SL zoom is a very fine lens indeed and is maybe the pick of what's on show here, plus the fact that Thighslapper's pictures are exceptionally good (as are Jono\s and others') , but I honestly don't think i could blind-test (!) a consistent difference between SL and M photos.

That, of course, is a compliment to the SL when used with M lenses.

I can readily accept though that the handling and focussing may be easier, which is interesting.

• Like 2

It's simply a totally different kind of camera in use, Peter.

The M makes superb photos ... How much more than superb does the SL have to be to seem different on that front? The SL's in-camera processing seems dead-on accurate, the speed is outstanding, the compatibility with every R lens and every M lens I've seen so far amazing... Never mind its own excellent 24-90 with AF, OIS, etc. 

I did my "135mm" tests today (nothing more than tests, it was a miserably gray, uninspiring day to shoot anything otherwise). I tested the Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8 and the Hektor 135mm f/4.5 in M mount on the SL. I see the same character of both lenses on film ... the R on the R8, the Hektor on the M4-2 ... coming through on the SL. That's just wonderful. Two lenses of such diverse design each rendering as it did for its original recording medium on the same camera. 

My M-P is safe: certain kinds of subjects it excels at because of its size, weight, haptics, etc. But the SL is far more versatile than that. That's what's different between them, not the ultimate image quality they produce. They're both at the top notch level that I expect of Leica cameras on that front. The rest is up to the photographers. 

23294086395_7e018154f7_o.jpg

Leica SL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4

ISO 50 @ f/1.7 @ 1/80

• Like 6

That all makes perfect sense.

As I said, my comments were a compliment to the SL because as far as I can see from these forum images it's output is largely indistinguishable from the M.

Two different cameras for two different types of use but with uniform output is a good thing.

• Like 2

Vario-Elmarit 1-2.8-4.0-24-90mm@24mm during a drive test  JPG out of the Camera and no retouch and/or sharpening

Edited by fcomarin69