Leica SL Image Thread ...post your examples here ....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Burghley House 'Garden of Surprises' Stamford Lincs. UK

Burghley Gardens 'Longitude Dial' in the Garden of Surprises is surrounded by revolving busts of Roman Caesars. 

Leica SL 601 / Leitz PA Curtagon R 35mm f4 shift lens with Leitz Series VIII Circular Polariser; ISO 800  1/800  f11 ... handheld.

The lens has a 'so-so' reputation but how many of the 'naysayers' have actually used one? How many of its critics are merely repeating others' negative comments? Some of the naysayers (who likely have not used the lens) write that the 7mm shift movement is inadequate - but in my experience 7mm is more than adequate for church steeples and towers ... so it suits my purposes. My example had "slept" 'unwanted and unloved' on LCE Strand's shelf for well over 2 years ...and they eventually reduced the price several times ... so I submitted an offer ... and we negotiated .. and I acquired the lens for just £265 inc. shipping. I'm thrilled with it and pleasantly surprised by its performance. 

Fact is, thousands of published images have been taken with the lens. Schneider design and make pro quality PC lenses and if the PC 35/4 Curtagon R specification satisfied E. Leitz in 1969 and it remained in production until 1994 (25 years); it has more than a few friends. The only negative aspect I've discovered is its inability to be used with mounted 'graduated' ND filters ... it was designed for use with Series VIII filters secured with a Leitz 12514 lens hood. However, graduated filters can be handheld in front of the lens if a tripod is used. The lens is lightweight and very compact for a shift lens. A little slow and idiosyncratic in use - as are all shift optics. The lens is plenty sharp enough but when 'shifted' requires stopping down to f11 for optimum results ... maybe one stop more than more modern PC designs and no detriment when using modern digital mirrorless cameras' amplified live view.

dunk

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
additional info.
  • Replies 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sugarloaf Rock with 21 SEM and ND filter 2 minute exposure f11 Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Tromso, Norway. Leica SL + 24-90mmSL I was extremely lucky to have experienced the Northern Lights. They were dancing all around us. Moonlight made it that much more spectacular, as the foreground was quite well lit. Moon was waxing gibbous 72% and had no significant effect on viewing Northern Lights.   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

SL with WATE, 16mm Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, dkCambridgeshire said:

Burghley House 'Garden of Surprises' Stamford Lincs. UK

Leica SL 601 / Leitz PA Curtagon R 35mm f4 shift lens with Leitz Series VIII Circular Polariser; ISO 800  1/800  f11 ... handheld.

The lens has a 'so-so' reputation but how many of the 'naysayers' have actually used one? How many of its critics are merely repeating others' negative comments?  

dunk

One could look at the MTF curves firstly. But secondly, it is a PA lens, so with the property largely extending the 43,2 mm diagonal.

I found (Digicamclub forum), that the picture circle is 57mm.

Beautiful picture by the way.

Edited by jankap
19 minutes ago, jankap said:

One could look at the MTF curves firstly. But secondly it is a PA lens, so with the property largely extending the 43,2 mm diagonal.

Beautiful picture by the way.

Hello Jan, I do not pay that much attention to MTF charts ... unless they are straight lines across the top of the graph ;).  Lenses' image renderings have character and 'footprints' ... and this lens is designed for use at f11 ... where its MTF curves are probably a lot better than at f4 ... but i've not examined same. Photos I've taken with the Curtagon have all been more than satisfactory ... and its close-up performance is fine too. 

BW

dunk

18 minutes ago, jankap said:

Is f/11 necessary for the PA property? Spherical projection of the subject.

Leica Pocket Book 8th Edition: In the normal position the lens can be used at all apertures. When the shift is in use, you should stop down to f11.  

And in the PERFORMANCE section: 'Stopped down (the usual position as it is intended as a shift lens) performance is very good for its purposes.'  

Jan, I need to investigate 'spherical projection'.

Erwin Puts does not have much to say about the lens in The Leica Compendium (1st Edition) ... but it was written pre-digital era. I can imagine the lens is difficult to use (to focus optimally) on a film camera; digital mirrorless cameras have made using slow aperture lenses much easier. 

The lens was a 'cost effective' purchase ... a bargain buy for a shift lens ... and is one more option for The Leica Society image submissions. 

dunk