Leica SL Image Thread ...post your examples here ....

thighslapper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 12/13/2020 at 9:11 AM, elwyn said:

SL1 SL35mm

I can not have this M like punchy pop with my 35mm on SL2. I do not know why SL2 sensor does not have it?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I would think the 3D effect of any lens really depends on the lens itself and the processing of the image, rather than the particular sensor. I don't have the 35mm APO SL but have the 50mm APO SL and it has good 3D effect with the SL2.

vor 11 Minuten schrieb isleofgough:

I would think the 3D effect of any lens really depends on the lens itself and the processing of the image, rather than the particular sensor. I don't have the 35mm APO SL but have the 50mm APO SL and it has good 3D effect with the SL2.

Terrific

The very active and beautiful Silver-eared Mesia. SL with Sigma 100-400mm.

16 hours ago, isleofgough said:

Nice shıot but i do not see a pop like M10 + lets say 50mm apo M or even SL with 24-90mm

I don't doubt your experience with the two cameras, Agencal, but I would think that the missing 3D effect with the SL2 should be fixable. I don't have the SL to compare with the SL2, but I have pictures that show (and don't show) 3D effect from prior cameras (Nikon 800e, Nikon D1x) with the same lenses (mostly Zeiss but occasionally other brands). In my experience, the lens itself has the greatest importance in this effect. But the lighting, color, processing, exposure, and certainly f stop are also important. The number of megapixels is of minimal importance. I do a lot of work in various 3D programs and there is discussion of what creates a 3D effect to a 2D render and obviously there is no real lens involved. Lighting, materials, depth of field, focus point, etc. are all considerations. The photo I used above was shot at f8, by the way.

Looking at the picture of the boy from a few posts above that shows excellent 3D effect, the focus on the iris of the eyes and eyelashes is razor sharp, but the ears and back of the hair and neck are pleasantly out of focus. The lighting is not harsh and the color itself contributes to the effect. The lens provides great micro contrast. A shallow depth of field is helpful in this picture, as it separates the sections of the photo. If the parts of the photo were more physically separated, one could use a smaller f stop and still get a good 3D effect.

So my guesses on what might be going on for you with the SL2, when you are using the same lenses you use on the SL: 

Focus can shift slightly on the SL2. Diglloyd has several images where he criticizes the focus shift on Leica cameras. Even a subtle shift in the focus point can ruin the 3D effect. The SL2 also tends to significantly overexpose in high contrast situations (but is pretty good in low contrast settings), and this can blow out the highlights. I find the sensor itself tends to stretch out the luminosity curve somewhat. In Capture one pro, I generally have to increase the black slider (which is not a black point but separation of the darkest parts of the image) and the shadow slider much less so. Sometimes both the white and highlight sliders have to be reduced and then a slight s curve applied.With these tweaks, one can get a much better transition from razor sharp focus to pleasing out of focus areas. If your issue is focus shift, you could try setting your camera up on a tripod and using highly magnified focus (with the new firmware update for the lenses) and photographing some stationary scene with the SL1 and SL2 to compare. I would guess they would be equivalent.

Edited by isleofgough

Went to the Isle of Grain today. Struggled with exposure, still learning. It’s a bleak place, the 21mm lens struggled to take it all in. A lot of nothing there. Loved it.

Feeding the Young. SL with Sigman 100-400mm

• jaapv pinned this topic