Leica SL Image Thread ...post your examples here ....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No I think you're very right about this. I don't find much interest in those kinds of expressions; that in itself is interesting and worth reflecting on (for me personally I mean). I have done this to be fair and I have reached many conclusions as to why this is the case. It's tied up closely with childhood experiences, which were pretty traumatic. I do have many 'happy memories' from childhood, but there are also a lot of very dark memories also. It's one of the reasons why most of my photographs of my children focus more on exploring their sensitivity, vulnerability and doubt. Those themes are of more interest to me; it's a form of therapy.

I think in this case, that's just the difference between your (low context) culture and my (high context culture), but I wouldn't for one moment deny being 'dogmatic'. Absolutely guilty as charged there!

Of coures I can accept that; well, that is to say that there is an inalieable truth to what people chose to create. That thing that you present to the world is as real as anything else anyone choses to present to the world. But those things will still be held up for critique. I'm still not comfortable with the title of 'artist' though. I choose to create but I feel my interest lies more with the underlying psychology of people than the artistry of the image.

To the extent that I may have touched a raw nerve with your childhood experiences I do apologize.

I do not really think this a is matter of low context culture versus high context culture, either. You are welcome to explain but I just do not see it that way. 

To the extent you try to portray the underlying psychology of people with the image is your thing, and it is terrific when you accomplish that. I have looked at many of your photos and they are superb. Some, do not do it for me, but many are wonderful.

Nonetheless, to 'disparage'  the notion of taking a photo which captures the pure, innocent joy of a child at a moment in time (and yes, maybe even with autofocus as a tool

) is just unfair. I would imagine your children hitting the water and playing about had some quite special moments. To have tried to capture those shots - assuming I am correct - should not be something to make you feel "dirty" (your words).

Nonetheless, whatever our disagreement here, I do enjoy many of your photos. 

Rob

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sugarloaf Rock with 21 SEM and ND filter 2 minute exposure f11 Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Tromso, Norway. Leica SL + 24-90mmSL I was extremely lucky to have experienced the Northern Lights. They were dancing all around us. Moonlight made it that much more spectacular, as the foreground was quite well lit. Moon was waxing gibbous 72% and had no significant effect on viewing Northern Lights.   Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

SL with WATE, 16mm Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

Nonetheless, to 'disparage'  the notion of taking a photo which captures the pure, innocent joy of a child at a moment in time (and yes, maybe even with autofocus as a tool

) is just unfair.

You know I think either there's a misunderstanding or else I need to offer an apology; honestly if that's what I implied I didn't mean to and I'm not sure where you got the notion from, but, please, my bad and my apologies if I suggested this. I completely agree with you that capturing something like this is a treasure. It falls into the catch all of 'truth beauty and love' that I hold dear to me.

I have looked at many of your photos and they are superb

Thank you for this. Greatly appreciated.

Some, do not do it for me

I feel the same way. A lot of stuff I take I am very unsure about and sometimes wonder who the hell I'm trying to kid!

Had to travel to a small town this August and need to spend some time here. Took the SL, the M10, the 50 Apo Summicron, and the Noctilux with me. If time permits, I will try to take the same pictures using the SL+Noctilux and the M10+Apo. Just one from today with the SL for color. Opened in Preview and exported as JPEG. Full resolution here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-JwSpcW/

Edited by Chaemono

I've been on the family holiday last two weeks. Full time with young chidren meant I was reduced to taking schmultz and cliches like this:

Meadow Field at Sunset - Bicycle Thieves by Greg Turner, on Flickr

and this:

Dead Wood by Greg Turner, on Flickr

Honestly I feel dirty!

These are about the only images from two weeks away that I genuinely feel happy about:

8pm by Greg Turner, on Flickr

Floater - Blood & Water by Greg Turner, on Flickr

Floater 2 - Blood & Water by Greg Turner, on Flickr

I like most of them though :-)

- Vikas

SL with T 55-135mm@135mm . . . 1/1250@f/4.5, ISO 200 . . . 

Australasian Darter . . .

adarter.jpg

I particularly like this one.  Those wings and the expression on the bird!

- Vikas

Advertisement (gone after registration)

R80 lux

Seats near walls.  Another wonderful one.  I like the colours.  I liked the colours of the first one better, but that takes nothing away from this one.

- Vikas

I travelled to this place which is in the middle of nowhere because I have to be here. I don’t have much time to take photographs which means I am reduced to taking schmultz and cliches like the ones below. I feel very dirty right now. Need to take a long, hot shower.

High context culture aside, I had a chance to try and compare the M10 with the SL yesterday using an M lens. We all love the sweet look the SL produces (that’s why we are all here), but fact is that just from an IQ point of view, the M10 with any M lens can give us that and more.

Below are two images taken with the Noctilux at f/5.6 (the Noctilux is stunning stopped down a bit). The SL file was opened in LR using the Adobe Standard profile with only default sharpening and AWB applied. The M10 file was opened in LR with the Adobe profile and default sharpening applied, WB adjusted, Exposure  +0.20, Vibrance +18, and Saturation +6 to try to match. The M10 not only shows better DR but also the OOF area looks better to my eyes. I will try to do more tests but this leads me to a conclusion that I’ve drawn before. If the SL2 can improve on the M10 sensor, one of the biggest things we can all look forward to in 2018, provided that we are well and healthy, is that camera.

Full resolution here: https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-qgvgsW/

SL+Noctilux 1/1600, f/5.6, ISO 200, slightly cropped

M10+Noctilux 1/1500, f/5.6, ISO 200, slightly cropped

Edited by Chaemono

I travelled to this place which is in the middle of nowhere because I have to be here. I don’t have much time to take photographs which means I am reduced to taking schmultz and cliches like the ones below. I feel very dirty right now. Need to take a long, hot shower.

Funny.

• jaapv unpinned this topic
  • jaapv pinned this topic