Leica SL Image Thread ...post your examples here ....

thighslapper

Al fresco.

SL

35 Summicron R

Gary

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

Hardly the first lens I think of for macro, but it was on the camera, and at the time the best I had, so............

Cicada.

SL

35 Summicron R

Gary

• Like 7

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had the SL for six months or so.  Since my M9p has been at Leica NJ.  I have had some struggles going from a much simpler camera to the SL with a lot more choices.  I will say that I am consistently happy with the images that I have gotten from the SL with limited PP it really does do nicely.  I have not shot my M lenses much on the SL.  Mostly the 24-90 and recently I purchased the Summilux 50 for the SL.  Again, really haven't used that much yet.  

This shot was one of a group that for me was more proof of concept than anything else.  When I bought the SL, I did it with the idea that some of the lenses that I used with either an external VF or my Visoflex III could be mounted on the SL for an easier experience.  Looking at the wide angle photos posted elsewhere tripped a switch and I remembered that I have a somewhat unused Zeiss Biogon 18/4 hidden away in the back of the cabinet.  I haven't used this much on the M.  Perhaps I will use it much more on the SL where it is a joy to compose and focus directly.  

This shot was somewhat noisy at F8 and ISO 6400, but again, proof of concept for me.  I see this lens and the SL getting more use in the future.

Lawrence

• Like 10

Another with the same combination, honestly I am really pleased with this!  SL 601 Zeiss ZM Distagon T 18/4

• Like 3

But are you happy with the diverging verticals in both images?

dunk 

Must be the weight of pick-up truck on the right bending the ground.

Not being a strong or frequent user of wides in this range, I am happy that I was able to frame and capture so easily.  As far as the diverging verticals, yes, it's probably the weight of the truck!

Aren't diverging verticals part and parcel of this wide an angle? Perhaps I'm wrong, I did correct for the lens in LR.  Would love some feedback on this!

I suppose any lens can produce diverging, or converging, lines, obviously wides and extreme wides are more prone to do that than normal or teles. Key to parallel lines (verticals) is to keep camera amd lens level, or us tilt/shift lens.

When shooting SL with wides it helps to activate square grid in VF and try to parallel verticals or horizontals in the image with the grid.

Edited by mmradman
  • Like 3

Not being a strong or frequent user of wides in this range, I am happy that I was able to frame and capture so easily.  As far as the diverging verticals, yes, it's probably the weight of the truck!

Aren't diverging verticals part and parcel of this wide an angle? Perhaps I'm wrong, I did correct for the lens in LR.  Would love some feedback on this!

They are good sharp images but it's obvious that the camera was positioned tilting slightly downwards … hence the diverging verticals. Diverging/converging verticals affect any lens when the camera's not held / positioned at 90º to the subject. Sometimes this distortion, particularly divergence, can be used to good effect e.g. with a tall building to emphasise its height. We're all used to seeing architectural images with converging verticals. Depending on the subject, it sometimes helps to hold the camera above your head … or at lower than waist level … to prevent distortion. If you choose to experiment, the scenes could likely be rendered with perfect verticals. Any distortion is also correctable in post processing. LR would not correct diverging verticals but it might correct for barrel or pin cushion distortion. 

Best wishes

dunk 

• Like 1

SL

35 Summicron R

Gary

• Like 6

They are good sharp images but it's obvious that the camera was positioned tilting slightly downwards … hence the diverging verticals. Diverging/converging verticals affect any lens when the camera's not held / positioned at 90º to the subject. Sometimes this distortion, particularly divergence, can be used to good effect e.g. with a tall building to emphasise its height. We're all used to seeing architectural images with converging verticals. Depending on the subject, it sometimes helps to hold the camera above your head … or at lower than waist level … to prevent distortion. If you choose to experiment, the scenes could likely be rendered with perfect verticals. Any distortion is also correctable in post processing. LR would not correct diverging verticals but it might correct for barrel or pin cushion distortion. 

Best wishes

dunk 

Thanks Dunk,

Now that I understand the issue better, it makes complete sense.  I was standing at a non neutral angle.  Fortunately the SL does have the ability to show me that in the VF!

Lawrence

• Like 1

Thanks Dunk,

Now that I understand the issue better, it makes complete sense.  I was standing at a non neutral angle.  Fortunately the SL does have the ability to show me that in the VF!

Lawrence

The SL camera's 'live view' will show converging and diverging verticals … i.e. as the camera is tilted 'up' the verticals will converge - and as it's tilted 'down' the verticals will be seen to diverge. If contemplating correction of e.g. converging / diverging verticals in e.g. Photoshop Elements there are Youtube tutorials which demonstrate perspective correction  

dunk 

Edited by dkCambridgeshire
  • Like 1

SL

New Summicron SL 2,0/75 at f/2,0

• Like 4

Ditto Summicron-SL 2,0/75

• Like 5

Summicron SL 2,0/75, f/2,8

(Cropped)

• Like 5

Summicron SL 2,0/75, f/3,5

All above shots meant as test for the new lens (taken in a zoo/botanical garden) 

• Like 8