Leica SL Image Thread ...post your examples here ....

thighslapper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 minutes ago, su25 said:

Yes, Leica gear is capable of capturing the Milky Way. What was the shutter speed? And, I would have preferred to shoot at 16mm as well.. wider the better. Southern hemisphere should give you ample opportunity to capture the Milky Way through the year, unlike the Northern hemisphere. 

Shutter was 15sec in both images. Click on the image to go to Flickr where all exif is visible. 

I have no doubt Leica or not — it’s possible to capture Milky Way, I was only wanting the Leica gear to make me a better photographer without much effort or thinking 😂🤣 — isn’t it the prevailing opinion and why we buy Leica gear?

Edited by meerec

2 hours ago, su25 said:

😂I start with 30sec ISO 3200 f4, irrespective of the focal length. From there I adjust aperture, ISO, and/or shutter speed accordingly, depending on the ambient moonlight, dof, etc. I find that 500 or 600 or other rules don't have a significant impact on my kind of use of the pictures. There may be small trails, but are insignificant - maybe 2-3 pixels, and doesn't impact my viewing, unless it will be enlarged.

I agree that for wa lenses, say <28mm, shutter speeds up to 30 sec can be used to capture stars as (approximate) points. If possible and preferably, I try to limit the shutter speed at 15 sec, and using a f1.4-ish lens. To circumvent high ISO noise, several images can be taken and stacked together using e.g. Star Tracker. Fine lenses include

* Sigma 14mm f1.8 art (can be very good, but watch out for sample variations)

* Samyang 14mm f2.8 (large differences between copies, so be prepared to buy/sell several lenses)

* SL 24-90 at 24mm and f2.8 (a surprisingly well corrected lens at infinity at 24mm!)

* Otus 28mm f2.8 (outstanding, but large and heavy)

* Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 (very fine, but prone to flare)

And yes, the forthcoming (2020) SL 21mm f2 is an interesting lens for Milky Way photography....

• Like 1

Guest BlackBarn

This little fellow flew into my studio today to take a rest on my sofa.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

vor 6 Stunden schrieb meerec:

SL + SVE 16-35

Boys and girls, that’s how not to shoot Milky Way ... I’m open to any tuition  😂

Hi meerec,

Certainly the pic with the longer exposure ist the better one.

I ´ve tried the milky way with the same setting (have a look at this ).  The main problems are the star trails if you are using longer exposure times. To my point of view you will get this  problem at times longer than 20/30 sec if you don´t use an astro tracer (e.g. built-in at the Pentax K).  For this way of Leica SL photography it might be a better choice using f</=2 as @helged suggested. But f3.5 might work if there is less light pollution.  And btw: I am using PhotoPills  (one of the best photo Apps so far - as i know)  to have an impression where the milky way goes around.

Jörn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

6 hours ago, helged said:

I agree that for wa lenses, say <28mm, shutter speeds up to 30 sec can be used to capture stars as (approximate) points. If possible and preferably, I try to limit the shutter speed at 15 sec, and using a f1.4-ish lens. To circumvent high ISO noise, several images can be taken and stacked together using e.g. Star Tracker. Fine lenses include

* Sigma 14mm f1.8 art (can be very good, but watch out for sample variations)

* Samyang 14mm f2.8 (large differences between copies, so be prepared to buy/sell several lenses)

* SL 24-90 at 24mm and f2.8 (a surprisingly well corrected lens at infinity at 24mm!)

* Otus 28mm f2.8 (outstanding, but large and heavy)

* Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 (very fine, but prone to flare)

And yes, the forthcoming (2020) SL 21mm f2 is an interesting lens for Milky Way photography....

Is there now a way to suppress the noise reduction? I tried a couple of times with just 2 sec exposure and wanted to stack about 100 images but seems noise reduction took out all the stars.

2 minutes ago, MRJohn said:

Is there now a way to suppress the noise reduction? I tried a couple of times with just 2 sec exposure and wanted to stack about 100 images but seems noise reduction took out all the stars.

Yes, I have used Starry Landscape Stacker with success. See also https://petapixel.com/2016/02/20/stack-photos-epic-milky-way-landscapes/.

• Thanks 1

Another glorious summer day comes to an end here in Wellington. 5 minutes past sunset. SL, 28mm ASPH, f11, 60 sec, ISO 100.

Gdansk by night ...... yesterday behind the Basilica of St Mary ...... 16-35 CL .... a composite of 3 images to remove the pesky tourists .... 

If I get time I'll revisit the processing and sort the blown out street lamp using a further underexposed image. 

Edited by thighslapper
  • Like 19

In the fishermen's harbor - the net

Summicron 90SL @f2

• Like 16

SL + Leica 90mm M APO Summicron ASPH

• Like 2

The last sunset of the year 2018...fresh out of cam...Happy new year 2019!

VE 2,8-4/24-90mm @ 72mm, f11, 30sec, HAIDA filters

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Guest BlackBarn

Happy 2019 to all.....

Last nights celebrations taken from the decking .Bay of Islands...New Zealand. ( Noctilux .95)