Does the T have a tendency to overexpose?

Learner

Mine has always over exposed and so I have set it up to a permanent minus 2/3 stop setting which certainly on my camera then equates to very slight under exposure which I preffer as it is better then my risking having any highlight areas blowing out, which would not be recoverable, whereas any resulting underexposed shadow areas are. Hope this helps? Best to all. Don Morley :)    

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mine has behaved in everything except the brightest conditions outside. Since I shoot manually,  I figured I was favoring the EVF image too much for exposure.  Not sure.  But after reading the article, it might be a characteristic of the sensor.  In any case, never hurts to underexpose a bit and correct later. 

I also tend to agree that it is a bit of a matter of taste. However like most people, to preserve the highlights and because of my sensibilities I tend to shoot between -1/3 to -1

One thing that I don't think other people have pointed out is how much this is relative to the metering mode. The camera likely designed to meter to about 18% grey. The area of the sensor over which it calculates that 18% is determined by the metering mode. They have multi mode, center weighted, and spot. I personally find the center weighted works better for me than the default multi mode.

A larger theoretical question are those metering modes sufficient or are they just a legacy of the pre-CMOS sensor era? 

Given the true nature of ISO as it is implemented in sensors and the unrecoverable nature of highlights maybe a new metering mode which protects the highlights. I haven't played extensively with the scene modes (does anybody?) but I wouldn't be surprised with modes like Landscape and Sunset have entirely different metering modes.

• Like 1