Leica X Camera Setting

2009acoustic

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi

I am a new user of Leica X.

I would like to know anyone here tried out the different menu settings for Film Mode, Sharpness, Saturation and Contrast. I have applied "standard" all the time. Wonder what would be a good combination.

Also, do these settings affect the DNG file?

Regards

ML

The settings do not affect the DNG.  I also use the Standard and +1 sharpening.  I suggest that you experiment to suit what you are doing.  I hve had good success with B&W in Jpeg.  And recently was able to enlarge one at least on the computer with no tweeking at all.

Welcome to the forum,and enjoy your camera,  X 113 a nice one! :)

David

It's good to experiment with preferences and conditions always play into results. I find that shooting jpeg where I will have less control of shadow detail, I prefer to keep contrast neutral, especially if I am not going to post process. Generally I find the contrast is pretty good. With DNG, one can control the shoulder and em[ploy greater contrast higher on the curve and have it all...well in theory anyway.

David

Thanks for the valuable advice.

I have been struggling with the camera's settings. Glad to find this forum with many experienced X users.

Focus Point

Thought the 11 auto focus points could save my day based on my experience with other cameras. Unfortunately, I got so many photos taken with the intended subjects went out of focus. Now I am trying out the 1 point focus instead after reading some of the reviews (mostly about X vario, X1 and X2) 

Indoor Photo taking

I must confess that I have been using the foolproof compact digital cameras such as the trusty Sony Rx100 for many years . I remember during the non digital days (film), I could underexpose indoor group photos with ISO 400 or 800 film  and with manual setting 1/60 sec (with flash gun) and f8.0 aperture. The developed photos  came out nicely through the colour lab.

I tried to apply the same in Leica X - Setting ISO 800 with manual  f5.6 or f8.0  at 1/60 sec so that I captured everyone in the group clearly compared to a faster aperture. The results were bad and the photos were so under exposed that they lost many  details or could not be recovered without getting grainy.

Wonder what is a good way to solve this problem?  I am afraid that large aperture may not be suitable for a group photo.

Slowest Shuttle Speed without tripod

Wonder if 1/30 sec handheld would be safe since the focus length is 23 mm (50mm?)

Regards

ML

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the valuable advice.

I have been struggling with the camera's settings. Glad to find this forum with many experienced X users.

Focus Point

Thought the 11 auto focus points could save my day based on my experience with other cameras. Unfortunately, I got so many photos taken with the intended subjects went out of focus. Now I am trying out the 1 point focus instead after reading some of the reviews (mostly about X vario, X1 and X2) 

Indoor Photo taking

I must confess that I have been using the foolproof compact digital cameras such as the trusty Sony Rx100 for many years . I remember during the non digital days (film), I could underexpose indoor group photos with ISO 400 or 800 film  and with manual setting 1/60 sec (with flash gun) and f8.0 aperture. The developed photos  came out nicely through the colour lab.

I tried to apply the same in Leica X - Setting ISO 800 with manual  f5.6 or f8.0  at 1/60 sec so that I captured everyone in the group clearly compared to a faster aperture. The results were bad and the photos were so under exposed that they lost many  details or could not be recovered without getting grainy.

Wonder what is a good way to solve this problem?  I am afraid that large aperture may not be suitable for a group photo.

Slowest Shuttle Speed without tripod

Wonder if 1/30 sec handheld would be safe since the focus length is 23 mm (50mm?)

Regards

ML

The X has a 23mm lens, so even at f/1.7 or 2 you will have adequate depth of field at reasonable distance.  Also, don't be afraid to push the ISO to 1600 or even 3200, the sensor will handle it and still give very clean images.  ISO 6400 is beautiful in black and white, and adequate in color for 5X7" prints if your exposure is right on, larger if you don't mind a little grain (noise).  The noise in the X is not at all displeasing, much like 400 speed film back in the old days.

• Like 1

Thanks Asiafish for the advice on ISO 3200. Yeah, it is pretty decent even at that ISO.

The X journey continues...

1) Realised that Leica X has the reluctance to move up the ISO under Autofocus mode. Not ideal if I want some background to the indoor subject short distance from camera. I have to switch manually to adjust the depth of field. More effort compared to my previous more intuitive compact cameras.

2) The ISO is not indicated in the EVF or LCD screen. Only shuttle speed and aperture priority. Have to play back to know the photo's ISO rather than during focussing.

3) JPEG quality seems to worsen under DNG + JPEG mode. Need to confirm with more shots.

4) F1.7 is not available at close distance. Not a major concern for me.

5) Leica is more for available light photography. The flash results are not so good. Maybe I am not familiar with it.

6) The EVF is more reliable for "Live View" rather LCD.