Filter help - 135mm Elmarit-R 2.8 and 50mm Summicron 2.0

jrwarnet

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello Everyone:

I'm very new to Leica R series and I need a little help finding filters.  I started my collection with a 135mm Elmarit-R 2.8 and a Summicron 2.0.  I'd like to protect them, but I'm having trouble finding a definite answer as to which filter size fits on the front.  Can anyone help a hand with a recommendation about size and a good company?  I'd like to stick to Leica filters, but I'd be open to second party makers.

Thanks a lot in advance:

J. R. 

Leica R4s w/ Motor Winder

Leica R8 w/ Motor Winder

Summicron 50mm 2.0

Elmarit-R 135mm 2.8

Look in the Leica Wiki exactly which version of the lens you have, older versions require 'Series' type filters which are old and hard to get in good condition. If they are newer lenses its usually a normal threaded filter which in this case would be E55 for both of them.

Lots of detail here.

A) The older Summicron 50mm lenses were supplied with a retaining ring for "Series VI" filters. You have at least two options with the older lenses.

1) Series VI filters are common on eBay, with a bit of patience you can find "New Old Stock" filters for USD10 or less (I certainly have). These filters are unthreaded and require a retaining ring.  If you need a retaining ring, the Leitz part number is 14160 - Search that number on eBay and if you spend more than USD6 you've spent too much. Ignore the vendors with wild ideas of how much these rings are worth.

2) Readily available 43.5mm filters will screw directly into the lens. Avoid the filters made by Bower, they have no female threads and you can attach a lenscap easily.

B) The newer Summicron 50mm/f2 lenses accept commonly available 55mm filters. Little else to say, just screw the filter in and fit a lens cap on top of it.

C) The 135mm Elmarit R's that I have require a Series VII filter. These, too, are readily found as "New Old Stock" ( no reason not to buy a clean used filter though). The retaining ring has Leitz part number 14161 - also going for USD10 or less on eBay. There is also a "14161R" ring - I have both and can't detect any difference between the two variants. Both fit my 90mm and 135mm Elmarits perfectly.

Edited by Photon

• 3 weeks later...
jrwarnet, on 14 Nov 2015 - 19:34, said:

Hello Everyone:

I'm very new to Leica R series and I need a little help finding filters.  I started my collection with a 135mm Elmarit-R 2.8 and a Summicron 2.0.  I'd like to protect them, but I'm having trouble finding a definite answer as to which filter size fits on the front.  Can anyone help a hand with a recommendation about size and a good company?  I'd like to stick to Leica filters, but I'd be open to second party makers.

Thanks a lot in advance:

J. R. 

Leica R4s w/ Motor Winder

Leica R8 w/ Motor Winder

Summicron 50mm 2.0

Elmarit-R 135mm 2.8

My R lenses are all the early models. I prefer standard size screw-in to drop-in series filters, and use step-up rings on my earlier lenses. For my 35 f/2.8 Elmarit-R and 50 f/2.0 Summicron-R (Series VI, 14160 retaining ring), I have 44-52mm step-up rings. For my 90 f/2.0 Summicron-R, 90 f/2.8 Elmarit-R, 100 f/4.0 Macro-Elmar-R and 135 f/2.8 Elmarit-R (Series VII, 14161 retaining rings), I have 54-62mm step-up rings. My 28 f/2.8 Elmarit-R is said to be Series VII, but takes a 48-52mm step-up ring. My 21 f/4.0 Super-Angulon, Series 8.5, has 72mm threads. My 180 f/2.8 Elmarit-R and 250 f/4.0 Telyt-R have Series VIII 14165 retaining rings, but I do not use filters on them so have not measured the threads. I prefer Heliopan stepping rings as they are the only one made of brass that I'm aware of.

I'm not sure that Leica ever made filters, but do know that Heliopan supplied the glass for at least some of them, and perhaps B+W did also. These

two brands have brass mounts, and should be at least as good as Leica branded filters.

I hope I have been of some help. Good luck, enjoy that great Leica glass!

• Thanks 1