Sign in to follow this  
Bill Livingston

Brighton Graffiti 2015

Thank you Stuart.

It seems a little weird photographing someone else's 'art', but every time I go to Brighton on business I end up walking past this graffiti and it always makes me stop and think about the creativity and the imagination involved.

I take no credit for the vision, but thank you for the compliment on the capture.

Edited by Bill Livingston

Nice work, Bill. I like the internal dilemma that artistic (vs tagging) graffiti creates - The original "Not-in-my-backyard" conflict. Like Adam, the 2nd shot is the one that I like best.

Nothing wrong with photographing others' public works - The cartoon murals of Brussels are a favourite for me.

Thank you to both of you.

my particular favourite is the first one... I like the colours and I'm very happy with the 'white square' of the upper right in the composition which is then broken up into little shapes within it... for some reason, it makes me feel that the large face in the meter box (partially covered by the wheelie bin) has fallen from the overall picture. Nonsense probably, but I quite like the way it works in my head.

The second picture was the artwork I was first impressed by when I saw this all a few weeks before... I too loved the colours and the depth. When I got there, there were cars parked all around it, so I had to choose an angle quite carefully and, luckily, I found something that added to the perspective and at the same time opened up the composition to make a 'half and half' shape within it... or rather, five vertical 'sections' that first appear as 'half and half'...

The third picture is actually quite interesting from the perspective of the graffiti artists though... If you look for the lamp post, you can see that the artist has painted it into the back drop and in the picture it is hardly noticeable. In real life, it is completely lost if you stand at the correct angle. I was trying to find an angle where it was 'just' noticeable... but it's still pretty impressive artwork.

There is quite a lot more... one stands out... 'Unconditional love'... but it is very long, slightly older than the rest, and has other artwork around it in patches. It's just the words... But broken up in different styles... The 'UN' at the start is in Stars and Stripes, 'conditional' is very stark and the word 'love' is red and almost too flowery ... so as a cynical statement, it works really well... perhaps with the slight hope at the end with the romantic treatment of the word 'love...'

When I am down there next I will try and find a good angle and see if I can capture it well enough to post here.

There is a lot of talent in some of the graffiti you see around the country... I'm quite tempted to document some of it as a little project...

Edited by Bill Livingston

Hi Bill,

After looking at these, I came the same conclusion as Adam on the second photo.  I agree with you on the 4th and see where you were going there, I still think its pretty cool. Go back and shoot it again!

Edited by MT0227

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By nuc001
      Dear forum members. I have found myself in a bit of a conundrum. I bought a Q2 this Jan as my first Leica, and now I also have I a Leica M10-P and a Summilux-M 50mm ASPH as my first rangefinder. LGAS be damned. However, I am finding that the field of view is a bit restricted to what I’m used to, so I am looking for 35mm lenses. Cannot afford a Summilux 35mm right now so looking for some alternatives. 

The choices I have in mind, in order of price in my country, Thailand, is:
      1. TTArtisans 35mm F1.4 ~$500 new
      2. Voigtländer 35mm F1.4 ~$600 new
      3. Summicron 40mm F2 ~$900 2nd hand
      4. Summicron 35mm F2 ASPH ~$2,200+ 2nd hand
      There are numerous reviews on the Voigtländer, but I’ve heard that it’s a bit soft, and the bokeh is on the busy side. TTArtisans seems very decent for the price. Cannot find many reviews for both Summicron lenses though however. 

Very new to the Leica ecosystem so any help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks. 
    • By nejad_b
      I find the level gauge to be an indispensable tool for controlling perspective, when capturing images of buildings, or in street photography. Once you got used to taking pictures with level gauge turned on you find use for it in any setting.
      Unfortunately I find the level gauge on M10-P rather disappointing and here is why:
      Level on M240-P is strong, visible at any light and is easy to read. 10-P level in contrast is poor graphic, can't be seen in bright light and worst of all it disappears when you need it most. i.e. when half pressing shutter release button. Let say you want to take meter exposure value from somewhere else in front of you before framing your picture. To save the exposure reading in memory you press and hold the shutter release button but that action removes the level gauge!
      I have attempted to compare two cameras on attached images that admittedly are not not in good quality but it does the job! Note that the circle in the middle of M10-P images is there due to centre weighted metering that was selected at the time and is not related to the level gauge
      240 v 10 looking up RFS 300.pdf 240 v 10 looking down RFS 300.pdf 240 v 10 level RFS 300.pdf
      240 v 10 looking up.pdf 240 v 10 looking down.pdf 240 v 10 level view.pdf
    • By Pjay
      My first two choices of vantage point were inaccessible due to the crowds out having picnics and parties last Saturday night before school recommences. But this spot was quiet. Brisbane CBD with Storey Bridge in foreground.

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By Hookeye
      It was a hard catch. Had to try 8 or 9 times until "boom" - I got lucky!
      M240, Summicron 35mm, f/5.6, exposure time 55sec.

Cheers, HP

Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!
    • By jmui852
      Hi All,

I recently just purchsed the Leica M10 (upgraded from the M240), and would like to seek your advice on which of the 2 lenses above I should get. I have attached the following list of bodies and lenses that I currently have.

M10
      M6
      Konica Hexanon 60mm F1.2
      Leica 50mm F2 Summicron APO
      Leica 35mm F2 Summicron Version 2 (8 elements)

I shoot with my digial M 95% of the time (well I did only just recently purchased the M6) with my 50APO. I plan on using the 8 Elements more on the M6 for Black and White photography. So now that I am looking to add a wide angle lens, which of the 2 would you recommend? I know many people say that it's best to pair a 28mm with a 50mm, and a 24mm with a 35mm; and that 28 would work better if I wish to shoot some street + landscape, whereas the 24mm will be better for pure landscape. But do both lenses render really differently? Is it that much more convenient knowing that u do not need an EVF for the Elmarit? Could the Elmar be used for some street photography as well? And since the 28mm is much newer, does it have something the other doesn't? I would really appreciate if those of you who own / have used both lens could let me know your thoughts on both lenses performance wise, and which would you pick if you were me. Thanks a bunch!

Cheers,
      Jeffrey