Reserving a Leica Q

marcg

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm in the UK and I've been looking around for a Leica Q

Needless to say, they are scarcer than hen's teeth. I've been talking to various Leica outlets and all of them want a 10% deposit to get in the queue – the 10% deposit being non-refundable if you happen to find a Leica Q elsewhere before their projected delivery date.

This is despite the fact that there is a huge queue and so if you don't take up your option, they will still have a ready customer that you will lose your 10%.

I hope this doesn't make the forum rules, but I eventually contacted Clifton Cameras in Bristol. Just like the other Leica outlets, they don't have any in stock and you have to get in the queue. However, the price of admission to their queue is only £5 and not only that, if you find a Leica Q elsewhere and more quickly, then Clifton Cameras will return your £5 to you.
I have to say that this is a far more reasonable customer facing attitude and it's bound to be the beginning of a much better relationship and repeat business relationship with the shop.

Edited by marcg
  • Like 1

Needless to say, they are scarcer than hen's teeth. I've been talking to various Leica outlets and all of them want a 10% deposit to get in the queue – the 10% deposit being non-refundable if you happen to find a Leica Q elsewhere before their projected delivery date.

This is despite the fact that there is a huge queue and so if you don't take up your option, they will still have a ready customer that you will lose your 10%.

Wow ... this experience differs from mine; my local Leica store (San Francisco) didn't place any such conditions when I ordered.  If I recall correctly, there were two options, however:  1.  Pay upfront; and 2:  Pay when the camera arrived.  I'm not sure if option 2 results in 'lower priority', but I don't recall any such non-refundable (deposit) option.

I hope that this isn't a case of dealers becoming greedy ... if it's against company policy, I hope that Leica acts quickly and firmly to squelch such practices by their dealers.

Maybe it's just a Brit thing.  What I've been told is that if they exceed their target date then you can have your money back if you want.  This is very reasonable of course - and in fact they wouldn't have any other choice - but to operate a queuing system, where they are unable to guarantee what they promise to do - to produce a Q by a certain date - and at the same time to say that they will penalise you if you want to enjoy the same reciprocal flexibility, I find to be very heavy-handed and one-sided sales practice especially when there is not the slightest chance that they will be left with an unsaleable Leica Q on their shelves.

• 5 weeks later...

I purchased my Q two weeks ago from Herrington's in the U.S.  I had been looking at for over a month with no success and took a chance looking a the Herrington catalogue online.  Their catalogue showed that they had it in stock. I ordered it on a Saturday and received it on the following Wednesday.   I don't know if they deliver out of the U.S., but you can give them a try.