Is the Image Stabilization option useful

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am wondering if you use the Image Stabilization option for still images.  I am about one week into my new Leica T and still learning.  I am a bit older and not that steady.  Outdoors, I shoot with a minimum shutter speed of 1/500 but indoors I am trying use a slower speed like 1/125.  Does the Image Stabilization feature help.  How does it work.  Do you lose any detail or any thing else.

I have been comparing my T to my Nikon Df.  I prefer the results from the T for flesh tones and overall rendering.  Processing in DxO and LR.

Right now, I only have the 18-56mm which is a bit slow but seems very sharp with nice rendering.  Not sure if I want the 23mm.  The 35mm would be better suited for some of my work.

I just noticed this feature too, wonder how much of a difference it makes.  I recall many of the reviews stated lack of lens image stabilization as a criticism.

*edit*

found this article:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2460592,00.asp

...but the T has a form of digital stabilization built in. When enabled it captures two shots in quick succession, analyzes them for blur, and combines them into a single JPG image. It only applies to JPG captures, so if you prefer to shoot in Raw format, it's not available...

Edited by dbchun

If I recall correctly the image stabilization only kicks in when the shutter speed is 1/30th or slower.  The X-Vario uses the same approach.  It takes 2 pictures and combines them.  There may also be an ISO condition as to when it works or not (but I forget the specifics).

It sometimes makes an improvement - but it's not useful all the time.  Scenes with moving traffic, for example, don't always come out right.

Separately, Photoshop has a "Sharpen" option for "Shake Reduction" (that's under the "Filter -> Sharpen" sub-menu in the menu bar).  That works surprisingly well to save blurred shots.

Edited by Guest