A nice leather case with metal grip for the Q

iJeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 11/14/2018 at 2:56 PM, Xerxes2539 said:

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but hopefully someone else with a LIMS case can help out. I ordered one and while I love the look and feel, the screw on the bottom just doesn't stay screwed into the camera. Short of using Loctite, any other suggestions?

Clear nail polish.  Not as "permanent"as loctite, but should do the job.

21 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

There is also a Loctite that is not permanent - it is blue in color and will break free with a screwdriver or hand wrench after it is set.

Blue might still be too strong for the small screws used in cameras, watches, etc.   For small fasteners Loctite Purple is your friend.  https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-555339-Purple-Strength-6-Milliliter/dp/B0002KKTT0

• Thanks 1

I bought a second hand but near new Q which came with a Leica case and a Leica grip. I liked both of them but could never decide which to use and really  wanted a case with its own grip - so was over the moon when I found the Lim's one. It seems every bit as well made as the Leica one. But I did discover two slight design quirks to be aware of.

The first is to make sure your nails on your right hand are trimmed or they can scratch the leather surface where they impinge against the point where the metal grip mates with the leather. Over time I suspect this would show considerable wear if you are not careful. If this kind of thing does not bother you then don't worry. 

The second is that the screw which holds the half case to the camera by screwing into the camera's tripod hole can unscrew itself over time, apparently just by walking about, and presumably, though vibration when in a camera bag in a car while its sitting on the floor of the passenger well (conjecture but I think it's likely).  I discovered this when out walking and suddenly my case dropped to the ground without warning. Predictably it dropped onto  a hard paved path. This caused some scratches on the aluminium base of the case/grip. Fortunately they were not too bad and were able to be disguised almost to the point of being invisible to a casual observer by using a product called Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black (sold in sporting goods and gun stores). It is also good BTW for touching up lens barrels where they have worn and have become shiny - just degrease thoroughly first in the areas where it is to be applied.  I am contemplating trying a small rubber O ring on the base of the screw that holds the case to the camera. I anticipate this will put more consistent pressure on the screw discouraging it from self unscrewing in much the same way that a split metal washer works to hold screws tight - indeed on reflection a small washer of this type might even be available and worthy trying. I recall screwing the screw on my case in relatively tightly but while doing so, being careful not to overdo it when I first mounted the case on the camera. I suspect that the screw is inherently a little loose and requires quite generous pressure when mounting to be assured that the problem does not reoccur. Otherwise the moment it ceases to be fully tight this kind of slightly too small screw can become considerably loose, leading to my issue. 

Edited by peterm1_Leica

1 hour ago, peterm1_Leica said:

I bought a second hand but near new Q which came with a Leica case and a Leica grip. I liked both of them but could never decide which to use and really  wanted a case with its own grip - so was over the moon when I found the Lim's one. It seems every bit as well made as the Leica one. But I did discover two slight design quirks to be aware of.

The first is to make sure your nails on your right hand are trimmed or they can scratch the leather surface where they impinge against the point where the metal grip mates with the leather. Over time I suspect this would show considerable wear if you are not careful. If this kind of thing does not bother you then don't worry. 

The second is that the screw which holds the half case to the camera by screwing into the camera's tripod hole can unscrew itself over time, apparently just by walking about, and presumably, though vibration when in a camera bag in a car while its sitting on the floor of the passenger well (conjecture but I think it's likely).  I discovered this when out walking and suddenly my case dropped to the ground without warning. Predictably it dropped onto  a hard paved path. This caused some scratches on the aluminium base of the case/grip. Fortunately they were not too bad and were able to be disguised almost to the point of being invisible to a casual observer by using a product called Birchwood Casey Aluminium Black (sold in sporting goods and gun stores). It is also good BTW for touching up lens barrels where they have worn and have become shiny - just degrease thoroughly first in the areas where it is to be applied.  I am contemplating trying a small rubber O ring on the base of the screw that holds the case to the camera. I anticipate this will put more consistent pressure on the screw discouraging it from self unscrewing in much the same way that a split metal washer works to hold screws tight - indeed on reflection a small washer of this type might even be available and worthy trying. I recall screwing the screw on my case in relatively tightly but while doing so, being careful not to overdo it when I first mounted the case on the camera. I suspect that the screw is inherently a little loose and requires quite generous pressure when mounting to be assured that the problem does not reoccur. Otherwise the moment it ceases to be fully tight this kind of slightly too small screw can become considerably loose, leading to my issue. 

A drop of loctite or finger nail polish would lock it in place. I have an Arte de Mano case and it has a different system. The case cannot fall off the camera, but there’s no built-in Arca Swiss Tripod plate. I add a small plate when I want to use a tripod. 

2 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

A drop of loctite or finger nail polish would lock it in place. I have an Arte de Mano case and it has a different system. The case cannot fall off the camera, but there’s no built-in Arca Swiss Tripod plate. I add a small plate when I want to use a tripod. 

Yes you are quite right that would work but I tended to discount it as I did not fancy the idea of these potentially getting on the visible surfaces of the camera itself. But I am probably obsessing over nothing as I usually do in such matters. Especially as these come off with a solvent like acetone.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm probably in the minority regarding the screw in the Lim's case, but I don't really mind that it loosens. I find it hard to get my fingers around the SD card to remove it with the case on, so I just remove the case when I take the card out (which is every time I transfer pics from the camera). Thus the screw winds up getting retightened at least finger-tight on a frequent basis for me.

21 minutes ago, peterm1_Leica said:

Yes you are quite right that would work but I tended to discount it as I did not fancy the idea of these potentially getting on the visible surfaces of the camera itself. But I am probably obsessing over nothing as I usually do in such matters. Especially as these come off with a solvent like acetone.

I was mostly thinking of the screw in the bottom. That would be easy to keep from coming loose. 

Been using the LIM'S case (from amazon.com) since I got my Q2 - still love it.  I did find the screw would work loose if hand tightened, so I use a coin, usually a quarter, to give it a final light twist and it has never loosened - no locktight or anything like that necessary.  You will need that coin again, though, to remove it. :) 

6 hours ago, bullmoon said:

Been using the LIM'S case (from amazon.com) since I got my Q2 - still love it.  I did find the screw would work loose if hand tightened, so I use a coin, usually a quarter, to give it a final light twist and it has never loosened - no locktight or anything like that necessary.  You will need that coin again, though, to remove it. :) 

I've done the same thing for years on my Q and others, no problems at all. But I must admit that I'm more frugal about it as I usually use a dime.