The dust on sensor or lens

Advertisement (gone after registration)

after shooting offline, i saw some small dust on my pics, i really worried about that, i dont know it is on sensor or lens. But the dust is not the same position on my pictures after i cleaned my lens and shoot a pic for testing, no have any dust. I have some questions:

- It is on sensor or lens (pls refer pic below)

- Does the Q have cleaning function automatically as some other brands?

- The dust can fall out of sensor when we move the camera. is it possible? if yes, i worry the dust still be in the camera, around sensor and can cling to sensor again.

Tks so much

Cropped 100%, at F4

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I suggest you take a photo of a blank white wall at f16 - that will show up any dust more clearly.

Unfortunately a number of other Q users have reported dust on the sensor, which means a trip back to Leica for cleaning.

This is a bugbear of mine and the reason I decided not to buy another fixed lens digital camera (the one's I've owned all ended up with dust on the sensors). It would be relatively easy for the manufacturers to make their cameras less prone to this issue IMHO.

• Like 3

I would be surprised to see sensor dust spots in this pronounced way at only f4 and if it is not in the same position overtime it could be something else

I dont know, i tested many times, there are some spots in the pics but not the same position, sometimes no have any spot i also dont understand what it is. 

i have just bought 1 month ago. really sad about that. 

#all Q user, you can check how abt yours. is there any spot in your pics?

All these dust posts makes me curious about that member who took a spill off of a quad bike in Indonesia awhile back. His Q was covered in dirt. I feel like if his Q currently has no dust issues, then the likelihood of dust getting into the camera from normal use is less likely and must be getting in at assembly? I don't remember the members screen name. Would be great to hear from him though, to see if he has encountered any dust issues thus far. 

Edited by TerminusBreak
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

All these dust posts makes me curious about that member who took a spill off of a quad bike in Indonesia awhile back. His Q was covered in dirt. I feel like if his Q currently has no dust issues, then the likelihood of dust getting into the camera from normal use is less likely and must be getting in at assembly? I don't remember the members screen name. Would be great to hear from him though, to see if he has encountered any dust issues thus far. 

i read his topic already. almost Q users shot street so they are very hard to recognize very small dust on sensor unless they shot blue sky and double check pic. so i hope everyone can test owned piece how it is. i also feel it is very strange, if the dust on sensor, it is the same posittion on pics, but not. Still dont understand what it is.

• 4 months later...

I love my Q but after nearly a year of ownership  I discovered this at f16

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

A few weeks ago there was nothing when shot at F10 (which I do rarely) and have spoken to Leica Mayfair (who said they have had other similar cases) and will take it in on Monday. I can honestly say that I never let my Leica M or any other camera get this bad but at least I could clean them and it is odd as this would appeared to have happened somewhat suddenly rather than a build up over time. Though this will be fixed under warranty I do slightly worry as to the future as the camera has not been misused in any way but has just had a normal almost daily use in the UK and what will happy when the warranty period ends.

Edited by viramati
  • Like 1

Good grief!!!

I know and I have just come off a week of teaching on a photography and meditation retreat in Scotland and I have to say that it took half a day of intense meditation practice to get over the shock!!! More seriously how and earth did it all get in there? it is as if some sort of seal has failed. interestingly  Leica Mayfair said they could take the camera apart themselves and clean it but they have no leatherette covering at the moment so it will have to go off to Germany

Good grief x2.

I was becoming quite keen on a Q for its specific combination of qualities, but this is really putting me off.

Out of interest, I just set up my 9 month old Q to examine the image of a full white capture at f11. It's very clean even when fully magnified. I occasionally use the macro setting, and the camera has travelled thousands of miles to India. While there, I walk through some very dirty and dusty streets. In fact, I throw my shoes away at the end. They are wrecked. In my opinion, I think that David's Q may have had some detritus within the body from new, which drops onto the sensor eventually. That's a Q C issue at Wetzlar.

I hope it gets sorted and the problem doesn't reappear.

• Like 1

Thanks for your thought Lucerne

I have had the Q since the day of release and have used it nearly every day in all sorts of conditions and treat it as a tool not a fashion accessory. What is odd that I took a shot about 3 weeks at f10 with quite a lot of sky and there is no sign of dust and then a few weeks later it is full. So it would appear that some seal may have failed and it got in. I may have given the camera a once over with my blower a couple of weeks ago to get dust off from some nooks and crannies but I wouldn't have thought this should happen. If this is the cause (and it will be hard to tell) I would advise against using tier blower to clean of dust

• Like 2

Thanks for your thought Lucerne

I have had the Q since the day of release and have used it nearly every day in all sorts of conditions and treat it as a tool not a fashion accessory. What is odd that I took a shot about 3 weeks at f10 with quite a lot of sky and there is no sign of dust and then a few weeks later it is full. So it would appear that some seal may have failed and it got in. I may have given the camera a once over with my blower a couple of weeks ago to get dust off from some nooks and crannies but I wouldn't have thought this should happen. If this is the cause (and it will be hard to tell) I would advise against using tier blower to clean of dust

Like you, I use my cameras all the time in all conditions and don't want to have to worry about how I treat them, within reason. The fact that the Q has a fixed lens and therefore no way for me to deal with dust on the sensor worries me a great deal. I wish it had more sealing, like the M.

I don't know whether your post reassures me or worries me! What have you done about the new dust?

Like you, I use my cameras all the time in all conditions and don't want to have to worry about how I treat them, within reason. The fact that the Q has a fixed lens and therefore no way for me to deal with dust on the sensor worries me a great deal. I wish it had more sealing, like the M.

I don't know whether your post reassures me or worries me! What have you done about the new dust?

Goes back to Leica Mayfair on Monday

• Like 1

It will be dust getting inside the body then being drawn to the sensor by the static.

They either need to improve the seals on the body or at least on the sensor/lens assembly. It's been an issue on any fixed lens digital I've owned - apart from phone cameras!

There's really no excuse for it.

I just completed a detailed look at an image of the sky at F/16. Zero dust spots. Clean. Hope it stays that way. I'm not going to worry about it. Easy to remove in LR unless they get bad. Then I'll send it to Leica for a cleaning. I'm just going to enjoy this beautiful camera warts and all.

Leica Mayfair usually clean Leica compact camera sensors 'in-house' and f.o.c. - I've previously had two cleaned there. Maybe David Viramati's Q's dust problem is unusually severe thus warranting a trip to Wetzlar for examination / remedying the cause. 

dunk