Leica has the technology ( Q, SL) to make a major upgrade to the T ; but do they have the desire ?

Steve Jobs said , if you don't cannibalze yourself , someone else will .

Guest VVJ

Leica has the technology ( Q, SL) to make a major upgrade to the T ; but do they have the desire ?
Steve Jobs said , if you don't cannibalze yourself , someone else will .

I am curious as well to see what they came up with...  and (given that Leica does not bother to give a roadmap) have deliberately held off any new T purchases...

The SL and the Q are damned good cameras, the T2 will need to be every bit as good to keep its place at the table...

Edited by JorisV

The camera is only worth what the person behind it makes of it. If a camera is merely seen as a commodity,the point of taking the picture becomes lost.

Edited by Petercoll

I am curious as well to see what they came up with...  and (given that Leica does not bother to give a roadmap) have deliberately held off any new T purchases...

The SL and the Q are damned good cameras, the T2 will need to be every bit as good to keep its place at the table...

As good as the T is, I would never expect it to match the Q or SL. Remember, it's price point is much lower. I consider it a mid range priced camera, the body at least. I kind of suspect we won't see a new version. Just a gut feeling. If there is one, think would remain the same body, perhaps improved EVF, maybe slightly improved sensor, and hopefully much improved software. Doubt you will see it radically changed.

Leica put too much resources intoR&D of T , which for them was a radical departure .

T2 will be an evolution

Upgraded firmware , sensor , auto-focus , external evf , in the same original body .

Guest VVJ

As good as the T is, I would never expect it to match the Q or SL. Remember, it's price point is much lower. I consider it a mid range priced camera, the body at least. I kind of suspect we won't see a new version. Just a gut feeling. If there is one, think would remain the same body, perhaps improved EVF, maybe slightly improved sensor, and hopefully much improved software. Doubt you will see it radically changed.

Given the way used prices are going down and the recent promotions on kits i am sure there must be a new version coming soon.

I would actually love the same body and the same UI, just 24MP, more responsive and much better ISO performance.  

Ideally I would love the EVF to be built in and much better (the difference with Q and SL is too significant...).

Edited by JorisV

Take an SL, stick it on a photocopier, set the reduction mode to say 70% and press copy.

Do we have the T2?

Exciting stuff! I wonder if my original prediction will be right?

Given the way used prices are going down and the recent promotions on kits i am sure there must be a new version coming soon.

I would actually love the same body and the same UI, just 24MP, more responsive and much better ISO performance.  

Ideally I would love the EVF to be built in and much better (the difference with Q and SL is too significant...).

Just keep in mind that more pixels doesn't mean better IQ. I would hope they don't do that in same size sensor unless there is improved performance. A built in EVF would be nice but doubt can do without radical design change. The EVF of the Q is superb, however. My guess is will see that in the next M. Oh, just wait for all the controversy that will generate!!!!

the question is -match the Q and SL in which respect.

For me its different systems.

As nice as the Q is its 28mm fixed lens camera, which is nice for some things but not for every thing. The T is a system which is much more flexible. It has not a built in viewfinder, but the Visoflex is larger and optically better than the Q viewfinder´.

One could argue IQ and technically that maybe correct, but the difference in IQ between dx and ff sensors is not as big as some may think.

The SL is even more flexible, but its really much bigger than both. the T and the Q.

In consequence I find there is a very good place for the T system. (as well as for theQ and SL)

Having both the Q and the T, I would take issue with your suggestion that the T's visoflex is on a par with the Q's built in viewfinder. I find the Q viewfinder to be far better than the visoflex!

So far - based on my limited experience with the T - I would suggest that the IQ from the Q is also much superior than that with the T (at least from my limited experience with the 18-56 and the 11-23).

I've just ordered the 35 1.4 TL so will see how that compares and I have really only used the 11-23 limitedly so far;  aside from the flexibility to use multiple lenses (and I have not done so)  the Q is a much better performer, at least in terms of focus speed, colors, and IQ vis a vis the T.  (And, I'm wondering as well, how the T and 35 TL will compare to the Q's 35 mm in camera crop mode function. If anyone has compared the two I'd love to know their thoughts).

As to the original post, I've got to believe that the T2 will have 24m pixels and a built in viewfinder. Perhaps 4k video as well. It will almost certainly remain a cropped sensor camera because the continued development of the TL lenses suggests as much. I think it remains a competitor to Sony's a 6300.

Rob

From a design and market viewpoint it makes absolutely no sense to do things like a built in viewfinder and other things people suggest. Just think about where Leica wants to continue positioning the T, price and feature wise. 

And Rob, comparing the T to the Q makes no sense. It's apples and oranges, two different markets, prices, customers, cameras etc. 

I certainly hope they keep the overall design as it is. For what the T is supposed to be and what I use it for it's perfect as it is. What would I want for a T2? Bigger sensor, maybe. Larger screen on the back, maybe. Get rid of the only plastic part (SD card cover), maybe. Better video quality, maybe. Focus peaking, definitely. More megapixels, don't care. 

From a design and market viewpoint it makes absolutely no sense to do things like a built in viewfinder and other things people suggest. Just think about where Leica wants to continue positioning the T, price and feature wise. 

And Rob, comparing the T to the Q makes no sense. It's apples and oranges, two different markets, prices, customers, cameras etc. 

I certainly hope they keep the overall design as it is. For what the T is supposed to be and what I use it for it's perfect as it is. What would I want for a T2? Bigger sensor, maybe. Larger screen on the back, maybe. Get rid of the only plastic part (SD card cover), maybe. Better video quality, maybe. Focus peaking, definitely. More megapixels, don't care. 

The only reason I was making the T comparison to the Q was that I was responding to the previous-to-mine post from Tom 0511 wherein the comparisons were being made.

I do agree with you that the niches for Q and T are different, no doubt, and they are not competitors whatsoever.

I think some of Leica's products have had fallen flat in the market because of no included viewfinder - such as the X series.  The optional viewfinder prices have been quite high and perhaps people stayed away from some otherwise terrific options. I'm thinking the viewfinder will be worked in - they've done it quite nicely on the Q and on the D-Lux and V-Lux and SL series. We will both find out soon enough. I'm hoping they can integrate it.

Would love to see the T morph into a full frame design with built in viewfinder, yet remain the same size and weight. Can or will it be done? I rather doubt it but I can dream. The SL is too huge and clunky for me. Hate the buttons. The next M will probably continue to thicken and be even heavier ( hope not ). The Q, Leica finally designed a winner for full frame, and part of that is due to the convenient size and weight, easy to carry around, feels good to shoot with, got one and love it. The simple design of the T for a small system camera with a modern interface should be the way to go.

Would love to see the T morph into a full frame design with built in viewfinder, yet remain the same size and weight. Can or will it be done? I rather doubt it but I can dream. The SL is too huge and clunky for me. Hate the buttons. The next M will probably continue to thicken and be even heavier ( hope not ). The Q, Leica finally designed a winner for full frame, and part of that is due to the convenient size and weight, easy to carry around, feels good to shoot with, got one and love it. The simple design of the T for a small system camera with a modern interface should be the way to go.

Not sure about that!

In the leica lineup, an ASPC with interchangeable lens camera is a must!... But I wouldn't mind a kind of X and T morph. One fixed lens and one interchangeable lens camera in each category , full frames and ASP-Cs, seem to me more logical.

Edited by Louis

Not sure about that!

In the leica lineup, an ASPC with interchangeable lens camera is a must!... But I wouldn't mind a kind of X and T morph. One fixed lens and one interchangeable lens camera in each category , full frames and ASP-Cs, seem to me more logical.

Well, didn't say the current T or future versions would or should die, did I? No, my dream is something closer to the T design but makes a side step from the M. A full frame interchangeable camera in the size and design like the T. Doesn't mean getting rid of the T. Anyway, it's just a dream. We shall see what they come up with next. Edited by billinghambaglady