Advertisement (gone after registration)

I realize that the trend for many manufacturers is to increase pixel density. But what do you gain photographically if wedge 24MP into an APS-C sensor. Should we aspire to make side-coating for our homes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The colors are  a question of in camera processing and profiles (and sensor).

I agree with the other poster that the colors from the T come out colder and less saturated than from other digital Leica cameras.

Of course you can allways manipulate in post/raw conversion but it is easier if the standard settings work in the first step (IMO)

I agree with you that the colors are a question of in camera processing, but not of the sensor. As far as I know, the sensor in the T is a early type of the IMX071 from Sony. We can find this IMX071 in several cameras from several manufacturers (Nikon, Fujifilm and so on). The colors are always different, from camera to camera and from manufacturer to manufacturer. But it is always the same (identical) sensor. The different colors are always a result of the color workflow in the camera and not of the same sensor. ;-)

With regard to the statement above not a new sensor won´t be necessary for a warmer color output, but  the will of Leica to change the in camera workflow (processing).

Cheers,

Jens

I could imagine they will use a Sony sensor again, maybe the one Nikon uses in the D 7100 or Sony itself in their A77 II, with 24 MP.

The sensor from the Q/SL cutted down to APS-C would be 10MP as we know, so maybe not a good idea.

The last I heard the Leica T used a TowerJazz sensor?

http://leicarumors.com/2015/08/13/the-sensor-inside-the-leica-q-typ-116-is-most-likely-produced-by-towerjazz-an-israeli-semiconductor-manufacturer-with-tight-relations-to-panasonic.aspx/

Toshi

This link is for leica Q; not leica T which a completely different camera.

What i was told about the sensor used in Leica T,  it is the same sensor used in Sony Nex. What I would love to see in T2 (or what ever the name would be) is something like the APS-C sensor used in Nikon D500!

If there is a T2 in the pipeline, don't be surprised if it includes the forthcoming Panasonic APS-C organic sensor.

I would be.

I don’t know what Leica has chosen but Sony’s current 24 MP sensor would be an obvious option. But then they could also source the sensor where they did source the sensors for the Q and SL.

Edited by mjh

Guest VVJ

I would be.

I don’t know what Leica has chosen but Sony’s current 24 MP sensor would be an obvious option. But then they could also source the sensor where they did source the sensors for the Q and SL.

I agree.  Either way I would expect to see the new M go to 30 or 36 MP before that.  

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I already posted my satisfaction with the current Leica T and the new firmware. Image quality especially with the new Summilux is outstanding, the  brilliant user interface suits me perfectly and all this combined with a handleable size and weight make the T my most favored camera.

But I still have a few requests for change (and also for continuity)

The biggest weakness of the Leica T is speed when storing a picture. It takes a long time to store a single picture. Yesterday I was out taking portraits and it was impossible to capture the movement of our model with several single pictures. The camera was just to slow to be ready to shoot again. And if you take a picture series, your camera is a long time out of operation until the 12 pictures are stored. A quick relieve might be a new firmware, where the camera only stores the raw data, then it does not need to spent resources on jpeg conversion and storage. But in the long run I hope for faster hardware on the T2. My friends, shooting Canon or Nikons took picture series and instantly were ready to shoot again. 

Add some sealing rings to make it splash water proof and I could use the camera in every situation I would like to

I don't need a build in viewfinder, since I work with Touch AF and T / TL lenses

The build in flash I use to ignite the SF 64 as a slave that I position on a tripod off my camera. I wish it won't be sacrificed

The Mega-pixel discussion is not mine. Image quality is superior, if I set the right focal point. Which I still do not achieve in100% of my shots

I love the reduced design and hope for continuity. But the 2 wheels could operate tighter, so I don't have to use the lock function all the time against accidental adjustments 

On the lenses, I'd rather have more primes than zooms. I miss a 1:2,8 135mm and a 1:2 16mm (focal length for APS-C cameras), already taking into consideration the 60mm Macro will come out in fall

And here is an example of my Saturday shooting

I would want (in descending priority order)

* Better high ISO performance

* Built in EVF (by taking out the flash)

* In-body image stabilization

* Snappier performance

* More rounded corners for better comfort

* Ability to turn off in camera noise reduction (useful for astrophotographers and nightscapes where you use master darks instead)

* M lens profiles built in

I wouldn't mind keeping the same 16 megapixels. Form factor is good. APS-C is fine for a smaller camera like the 'T'.

- Jared

M lens profiles built in is a must

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting post on LeicaRumors.com. Could it be the T2? So soon?

http://leicarumors.com/2016/07/14/leica-8854-camera-registered-at-indonesian-communication-agency.aspx/

Interesting, indeed! But the model number is quite weird and quite different from any other Leica camera!... Maybe a "portable" that is missing in the Leica lineup as there are also rumors that they stop 109 production!... But this one is said to be made in Germany!... 

‘8854’ would be an unlikely designation for a T. Or for an M, S, SL, or X, for that matter.

‘8854’ would be an unlikely designation for a T. Or for an M, S, SL, or X, for that matter.

Sounds mostly like an accessory number

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 55mm is tiny

No, the Sony 55mm f/1.8 is not tiny.

From left to right:

Minolta MD 50mm f/2

Minolta MD 45mm f/2

Minolta AF 28mm f/2.8

Sony 55mm f/1.8

The first three I would consider tiny. The 55mm f/1.8 I consider medium sized, or maybe smallish-medium.

Toshi

According to LeicaRumors a new T will most likely be announced in September :

leicarumors.com/2016/07/28/the-code-name-8854-could-be-for-a-new-leica-t-camera.aspx/

Would be interesting to see what develops...

It could probably be a successor to T since they are also talking about the same battery and charger; The new camera will use the Leica BP-DC13 battery and the Leica BC-DC13 battery charger ! Interesting to see the changes, or improvments  from T.... I hope it would more than just the WIFI !

It could probably be a successor to T since they are also talking about the same battery and charger; The new camera will use the [/size]Leica BP-DC13 battery and the [/size]Leica BC-DC13 battery charger ! Interesting to see the changes, or improvments  from T.... I hope it would more than just the WIFI !

I hope that not the only 'improvement'.....

Hopefully some low hanging fruit like-

24MP APS-C sensor (like the D7200 / X-T2 / a6300 which I believe are all Sony sourced)

AF performance similar to the Q (S-AF at least, C-AF I'm not too picky about)

4K video?  And a more serious set of video features like the SL?

More of a reach, but we can hope-

IBIS (unlikely as it seems to be an Olympus creation licensed to Sony.. though Panasonic is now doing the same)

Better external EVF, or a built in EVF

And a new lens or two might be nice