The T2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Shshshshsh... don't tell anyone!... ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

I hope it is something like that!!

I really like the form factor of the T. 

If it is to have an EVF like above you would think it would need to be a little taller.

If the price is similar to the old T then I probably will get the T2. 

(and I always wanted the black one, but got the silver one as I got it at a good price at the time.)

If the EVF would be as small and good as the one in Q, it won't take much room, but as you said, a little taller than than T (1). But still much lower than Visoflex!

I hope it would be something like this; the same body but slightly taller. of course, with some improvement inside!... cross your fingers! ;)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

I was an ardent dis-liker (I started saying "hater", but modified that) of the LCD screen, I mean, after having SLR's, and even DSLR's, plus R/F cameras all my time, how could I use the LCD???

As some will know I ended up buying a used X1 in 2013, as we traveled to Europe, and knew I had made the wrong decision, and was comfortable in the fact that it could simply accompany my M6, so all was right in the world.

How wrong I was, the X1 proved to be all and more, and the poor old M6 shot less than two rolls, it saw very little use. Using the X1 was a revelation, it was small, light, and best of all my bespectacled handicap wasn't the issue it could have been using an eye-level finder (OVF or EVF). Arms length viewing, composing etc was simply made for glasses wearers.

My first T had a Visoflex, and I used this a lot. I bitched and moaned about the form factor though, build a small light camera and then slop an edifice on top. It made camera bags less easy, and was something else to worry about, to lose track of, and to possibly come adrift. It DID make using my M lenses a breeze though, so I persevered. And the GPS gimmick was something new.

Paralleling this was my X-Vario, and it has the EVF2. Again, the eye-level mentality prevailed, and I used it as much as I could with the EVF, but the same issue arose, wearing glasses meant arms length LCD use was "better". I still have the X-Vario, and the EVF2, but the EVF2 see's little use.

So my current (2nd) T has nothing, just an after-market M lens to T body adapter, and I am getting along just fine. People think I am a tourist, and mostly I am, and this suits me too.

The T2 (I reckon it will be "TL", but hey............) will possibly have an EVF built in, if Leica have been listening to those like me that voiced this "need". If it doesn't have it built in, it wouldn't worry me unnecessarily though, given the above ramble. Suppose though, even if I didn't use it often, it would be nice to have. Hmmmm, depends.

Gary

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+ GPS + upgrade to 24mp Sony sensor + OIS = hooray !!!

As the lenses have no IS, it would be need to be IBIS, right?  Compared with the competition (Fuji, Sony) anything less than built-in EVF, better ISO and 24MP would be a very tough sale IMHO.  And I wouldn't want to loose the GPS either...

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 1

Another perspective we should consider with Photokina;

What if the Typ 70x is really discontinued? No T2?

Update T1 with firmware to support new/already planned T lenses but Tha is it. All new lenses are SL only?

How does that world-view fit?

Edited by Mr10Percent

Guest satrycon

totally possible i guess if leica abandons their apple way of thinking...new tiny update every few years,,and still charge a lot...though apple has lost customers in the Pro world these last few years.

Update T1 with firmware to support new/already planned T lenses but Tha is it. All new lenses are SL only?

From today's press release :

"Short telephoto prime macro lens is designed for the APS-C-format T-series of mirrorless cameras, and provides a 90mm equivalent focal length."

"T-series" is the interesting part here.

JP

• Like 2

If thats the case I hope that Leica offers an above average, international, trade in deal - Especially for the early adopters who put a lot of faith in Leica and the new system.

Actually this would still be nice move from leica when the T2 is announced :p

For me a natural and preferable evolution for the T2 would be:

- Keep it's size, that' s what makes me use it every day!

- Don't  change the UI, for everyone who uses one, me included, it is its USP!

Improve it in speed, tactility, flexibility etc.

- An EVF, next generation, SL quality or better.

For me, integrating it in the body, would only make sense, if the body doesn't get any bigger.

So one solution could be to get rid of the flash, rearrange the internals and put the big eyepatch on the corner.

You win a flash mount back to be used again, which you can't with the current EVF.

- Improved sensor and faster and more capable processor, with Leica ( by Panasonic) identity, DR and colours.

Only expand to 24 Mp if pixels have the same quality or better.

- Integrate M- and R-lens profiles like in the SL.

- Movable focuspoint (with joystick) like the SL.

- Make it weatherproof; with only two dials, lens mount, EVF and the battery as the only openings,

it wouldn't be to difficult or expensive.

I think this has it about right. Ithik 20M would be enough move up in pixel count, but 24 as long as IQ is maintained. Faster focusing is a must. Joystick? They are nice. I have used them on new XPro and D500.  A built in EVF only if that does not undermine quality. Weatherproofing would be nice in principle? Do current lenses support that? If not then we end up, as Fuji have, with two sets of lenses. 

As to cropped sensors I think it is right Leica have a position in the APS-C market and left 4/3rds to Panasonic rebadged models. APS-C has its role. The T range's main competition here is Fuji X. Leica's strengths are without doubt IQ and top prime lenses such as the 35mm 1:1.4 - the new Macro hopefully matches the 35mm. 

I think it will be profitable to Leica and a benefit to fans of Leica IQ if they continue to develop this range.

• Like 2

Ok Gary, it's time to come clean... Are you one of them secret Leica testers? :)

LOL, I wish. Nah, it was a comment made by the dealer who sold me the T a month ago.

He said the new one would be called TL, and that the ridiculous prices being touted for the current, old, T would again correct, back to "normal".

He's sort of right, it seems TL is what the T2 will be, perhaps, and possibly the low as prices will be gone.

Either way, as a T owner, it's still a fantastic camera, what is there not to love?

Gary

• Like 2

I'm also planning on keeping the current T as a backup body. Since the new T will have better ISO capabilities, i'll stick the slower zooms on the new TL body and keep the Lux 35 on the old one. Should work out well, so here's looking forward to a new camera :)

• Like 1