The T2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Having just bought a T, ordinarily I would be annoyed, but given the miserly price I paid, I reiterate, "it's a great digital back", and am convinced I will just keep using it. Even if the new model is light years ahead, what I have is still a very acceptable camera.

Gary

Having just bought a T, ordinarily I would be annoyed, but given the miserly price I paid, I reiterate, "it's a great digital back", and am convinced I will just keep using it. Even if the new model is light years ahead, what I have is still a very acceptable camera.

Gary

Gary, T is a very acceptable camera, indeed. I really don't know how better the "new one" could be. I am really very happy with it and find the IQ excellent.... Also, if there is a big change, the actual T with its beautiful design could one day become a piece of collection! ;)

In the past, I had  4 different versions of D-Lux cameras that as you know, are not even considered as "real" Leica. I sold one of them (DL4) more than what I paid for it; and the others, very close to the purchase price!... So, you never know! :D

Edited by Louis
  • Like 1

Gary

better is the enemy of good... ;)

I’m quite excited for the announcement of a T2 next month (assuming the news isn’t that they are discontinuing the T). Having owned the T for almost 2 years I have to say that since FW 1.4 the camera is almost perfect and has constantly been a joy to use. However, I do have a personal wish list for the upcoming T2 which I would like to share. Apologies if many of these items have been discussed and covered already.

What I would like to see in the T2:

• Some form of weather sealing and a camera that works below 0 degrees as people do travel to cold places for holidays. (I have had issues with the camera earlier on (FW 1.2) where it would constantly locked up in cold weather. Googling has also revealed that others also had had issues with it in the cold. Have not retested this, or rather been to a cold environment since the 1.4 update.)

• A way of selecting AF point whilst using EVF – whether that’s with the inclusion of a new knob like the SL or by implementing 3d touch on the screen. Ie. Pushing hard on the screen and sliding your finger around whilst looking through the evf moves the AF point.

• Recolour the dot currently used for video from red to white. Turn this into a function button instead.

• Remove the flash and make better use of that space (ie. GPS). – The flash is currently useless for me as it seems to cast a shadow with my 18-56.

• Change the micro usb port to a usb type c w/ thunderbolt. So the one port can be used for charging, hdmi output, data transfer etc.

• A return to more standard lugs - Whilst the idea for a new strap system was/ still is quite cool it isn’t very practical and I ended up replacing it with more standard lugs from match technical.

• The ability to change the exposure compensation whilst in manual mode. Ie. I am in manual mode as I want specific control of aperture and shutter speed but I want to leave ISO in auto. However, I want the exposure to be 1/3rd of a stop less and want the camera to achieve this with auto iso however I cant change the exposure comp as this option is greyed out in manual mode.

• Have a proper bulb mode which is not limited to 30 seconds – maybe the shutter is activated via the usb c port to not ruin the aesthetics of the camera.

• Focus Peaking. Maybe an even more advanced and accurate version of this optimized for each of the M lenses (seeing as the adapter can already read 6 bit code)

• Stop the self timer from resetting itself after every shot.

• Upgrade the processor to allow for DNG only captures.

• This is debatable but maybe move away from Sony sensors to whoever Leica used for the Q and SL? I currently have issues where the dng and the jpgs colours are not only different from each other but the dng’s from the T come out super red (capture one 9). Never had this issue with the dng’s of the M8.

• Another item that I am still debating internally on, but maybe a return to a more traditional button layout with a touch screen? There have been a couple of times the touch screen has slowed me down in changing settings.

• New cases for the T that can be left on for good and not block some important area of the camera.

Plus the usual expectations of a new camera to be released in 2016

• New sensor with better high iso performance
  • Faster & more accurate autofocus
  • Better battery life
  • Built in EVF
  • Etc.

What I would like to see announced for the roadmap:

• A new fast wide angle prime (24 / 28mm equivalent)
  • Some tilt shift lenses for the TL mount or an adaptor that can covert full frame lenses into one on the T.

I guess for me these are the only lenses I feel are missing for the T and from here I would like to see them focus and release optical updates to the current line-up of lenses (Ie. 18-56mm v2) and slowly introduce weather sealing to them.

In summary, Leica get serious with the T. It has potential to become something more than just a “hipsters” camera.

Edited by silentkills
  • Like 1

Re Post above,

I agree with most of your points.

Except maybe the exposure compensation in Manual mode.

On this, exposure comp in manual mode on the SL changes the camera's meter.

Eg if you dial in settings that show 1 stop over exposed on the meter, if you then adjust exposure compensation down 1 stop, the meter then reads in the middle or exposed correctly.

I think that is not the way either and it should be fixed by Leica.

The problem is that say you go to M mode from A mode, it keeps the exposure comp setting. If you then use the meter to help you set the shutter/ISO/Aperture combination, you are going to be off by whatever the exposure comp is set to.

Re DNG only mode.

Again on the SL, they enabled DNG only mode. However when you checked focus or details on it in camera, it was blurry.

Leica's fix was to embed a much bigger JPEG image into the RAW DNG file making each RAW file bigger as a result.

Also if you shoot DNG only on the SL, you can't import pics into the phone or iPad app as they need jpegs.

So it is not that the T can't handle shooting just DNG, DNG + JPEG enables you to check focus in camera, and also makes sure that you can share any image using the phone apps etc.

Re EVF.

I am in 2 minds about an inbuilt EVF. I really like the ability to put the External EVF up 90 degrees so you can look down into the camera from the top. It is great for getting shots down low, or for me, pics of my young kids.

Also if you take street shots, it seems people ignore you more when you are looking down into the camera rather than looking directly at them using the EVF in its normal position.

To add to the list above, I wish the T had the ability to recognise when the T to M, or T to R adapter was on the camera and instead of just grey out the options for auto focus and T lenses, remove them altogether.

For me I use the T 99% of the time with an M lens attached so have no need for focus mode menus and the like.

Something else the T needs is the ability to turn off exposure simulation as it makes the current camera almost unusable with external flash.

Guest satrycon

ive used my T with M lens in -20 Celsius, locked up once or twice with the EVF on, but never with the EVF detached....having said that with the older FW it would lock up in 35 deg Celsius with the EVF on!!!@!

I already posted my satisfaction with the current Leica T and the new firmware. Image quality especially with the new Summilux is outstanding, the  brilliant user interface suits me perfectly and all this combined with a handleable size and weight make the T my most favored camera.

Great shots!

Just curious, did you try shooting JPEG or are you using RAW?

I noticed that in my Leica Q, it's super-fast storing JPEG images while RAW slows the camera to a crawl.  For a lot of my people and nature photography, speed is significantly more important than being able to tweak the images in raw. Also I've found the JPEGs unusually receptive to manipulation, although to be honest I don't use much, just a little lightening on occasion.

For a new T, I would like to see a 24-70 equivalent similar to the Fuji, which has f/2.8-4.  When I tried the T, I liked the design and interface a lot (although I didn't have enough time to test them thoroughly), but couldn't get past the combination of high price and low light sensitivity.

I'm probably going to wind up with the SL as my interchangeable lens camera of choice, but a new T has a chance considering the substantially lower price if there can be a lighter and more light sensitive wide zoom.  Of course Leica would probably rather me buy a SL :).

"if" a new T2 is released, it's worth remembering that it will be compatible with all T1 lenses & accessories except for the external evf which, i guess will be replaced with an internal one like the Q or SL. the only real devaluation initially is going to be on the current T1 body & that's to be expected in the digital market. it may become more valuable as time passes. fwiw, i am not overly keen on bugs that need fixing with endless, overdue firmware updates. i think this point should be addressed by Leica quite radically, rather than releasing a buggy new model prematurely.

I wonder if Leica will offer a T upgrade program? (Hint, hint)

Most XV and T owners are "hooked" on Leica and have been loyal purchasers ($$$$$) I am sure.

That would be a nice touch for sure - maybe better than the Passport warranty.

Most XV and T owners are "hooked" on Leica and have been loyal purchasers ($$$$$) I am sure.

You are absolutely right and it would really be nice from leica. That would also be a superb marketing idea as I am sure many would appreciate that and move to leica!

I hope they are listening!

Upgrade is available from any Leica dealer. You hand over your old camera plus a cash adjustment and receive the 'upgraded' model in return.

• Like 1

Upgrade is available from any Leica dealer. You hand over your old camera plus a cash adjustment and receive the 'upgraded' model in return.

My Leica dealer will give one 80% of fair market value for any old Leica being traded for an in-store Leica item (new or pre-owned), or 70% if one wants to simply cash out of his/her Leica trade in.  

Of course, the operative words are "fair market value". One might discern that from looking at eBay sales; I have found my dealer to be more than fair in their assessments as to FMV.

• Like 1