The T2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I love my T also.  Actually, would like to see Leica come out with a new line that has the same size and grip and weight as the T but is full frame.  I don't quite understand the rational of cropped T lenses on the SL.  

Full frame: the lenses will be bigger and heavier.

Full frame: the lenses will be bigger and heavier.

The camera itself doesn't have to be bigger and heavier, maybe slightly thicker to account for full frame.  Of course full frame lenses would be heavier as is more glass.  Anyway, am sure Leica has their plans set.

My wishes for a T2 is a better APS-c sensor with warmer colours,and the lenses should have the same builtquality as the body.This panasonic plasticlenses are optically quite good but in builtquality not " State of the Art"

Try the new Summilux TL 1:1,4 35mm. It will 100% satisfy your demand with respect to IQ AND built quality. I own it now for over 1 month and still find it unbelievable what it does to my Leica T

• Like 3

I'm unaware of small fast lenses for the A7. I have an A7R (for sale on ebay right now! auction #321913023239) and the small lenses are only moderately fast (35mm f2.8 is nice and small) but the 55mm f1.8 is pretty large. The Loxia lenses are large.

The 55mm is tiny

The T can't be full frame.  The SL, too huge and cumbersome and heavy.  My wish list is a totally new system that is similar design, size, weight and grip of the T but is full frame.   But am sure Leica not listening.  Oh well!  I am fine with the M and the T as my secondary camera.

Leica already has a full frame fixed lens camera that is Q; and, an interchangeable full frame that is SL.

It already has 2 APSC fixed lens with X and XV. And, an interchangeable with T.

I believe it should keep the APSC series, but improve the sensor with, maybe, a 24 megapixel sensor, to also compete with other brands.  

Therefore, I can perfectly imagine an improved fixed lens X; and a new interchangeable APSC that would be a combination of X and T. Maybe a XT.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica already has a full frame fixed lens camera that is Q; and, an interchangeable full frame that is SL.

I believe it should keep the APSC series, but improve the sensor with, maybe, a 24 megapixel sensor, to also compete with other brands.  

Therefore, I can perfectly imagine an improved fixed lens X; and a new interchangeable APSC that would be a combination of X and T. Maybe a XT.

No problem with that!  My earlier response was before heard rumors about the new M which should be interesting.  But nothing wrong with liking the T idea, the way the user interface works, and desiring it to be on a full frame camera that will take full frame lenses.  For me, the SL is simply too big and heavy.  Love the Q, but is not for my kind of shooting.  

• Like 1

Fuji's X Pro 2 (released 6 weeks ago) was their first APSC camera to go from 16 to 24 megapixels. It has very respectable higher ISO performance as well.

The T2 should be almost the same as the original with just a processor upgrade and sensor update. 

I am more than OK with the form factor of the T but it really should have a built-in EVF (keeping the GPS as well)...

High ISO needs to be up to current standards.  And ideally also 24MP.

Edited by JorisV
  • Like 2

I bought the T just to try and initially didn't like it. Unbearably slow and because I wanted to limit my investment, I used only M lenses. However, 3 things have happened and I now rather like it as a camera to take with me everywhere.

1: New firmware - much improved responsiveness and WiFi connectivity.

2: I bought the basic 18-56 lens and like the AF even if the lens is slow.

3: Leather strap to replace the horrible rubber one.

So the T fits rather well for casual photography as an alternative to an M with 28, 50,75 lenses. So I'll be interested to see where they take the T in the future.

• Like 2

Guest VVJ

i always thought of the T as a smaller prototype for the SL & see the SL as the update.

Time will tell I guess... 

There have been quite a few firmware updates and there is at least one new lens in the pipeline, i.e.. the 60mm Macro.

I am pretty sure that Leica will keep on supporting the T and that there will be a T2.  That being said, it is pretty obvious that it is not Leica's highest priority either...

i always thought of the T as a smaller prototype for the SL & see the SL as the update.

I don't think so. I think they were both in the development pipeline the same time. I think it just took longer to get to the SL. I think the concepts are different. The T is a casual stylish casual enthusiest camera while the SL is pro.

I think that a good idea for Leica may be to retire the X and X vario and make a X like APS-C body for TL lenses with the next generation of sensor. Let's call it the XL to be silly since it's a small camera. 

So two cameras with basically the same sensor. And electronics but different form factors

A T2 which is a sensor refreshed version of the T

A XL a X like L lens mount camera.

My wishes for a T2 is a better APS-c sensor with warmer colours...

Warmer colors? That´s not a feature of the sensor, it´s a feature of image processing. If the colors of the Leica T are not warm enough for you, you should work on your color workflow. A new sensor will not solve your problem.

• Like 2

I love my T also.  Actually, would like to see Leica come out with a new line that has the same size and grip and weight as the T but is full frame.  I don't quite understand the rational of cropped T lenses on the SL.  

The lenses then would bigger (heavier). I am satisfied with the 16MP aps-c sensor which has a higher pixel density than the 24 MP full frame.

The lenses then would bigger (heavier). I am satisfied with the 16MP aps-c sensor which has a higher pixel density than the 24 MP full frame.

And, I am fine with the weight of say, my full frame 35mm Summicron M lens or even the 28mm M lens on the T as far as weight.  I don't see the weight of the lenses I use as being a big issue at all.  It is the slim design and weight of the T, and overall ergonomics that works so well. 

I am satisfied with the 16MP aps-c sensor which has a higher pixel density than the 24 MP full frame.

Given Leica's 3 year life cycle releasing a 16 MP APS-C camera in (most likely) 2017 would be commercial suicide IMHO...

Especially given that Sony and Fuji are already at 24MP at this very moment...

I guess we will know relatively soon when the new M gets announced.  If the M goes up in MP it is very likely that all other models follow suit.

Warmer colors? That´s not a feature of the sensor, it´s a feature of image processing. If the colors of the Leica T are not warm enough for you, you should work on your color workflow. A new sensor will not solve your problem.

The colors are  a question of in camera processing and profiles (and sensor).

I agree with the other poster that the colors from the T come out colder and less saturated than from other digital Leica cameras.

Of course you can allways manipulate in post/raw conversion but it is easier if the standard settings work in the first step (IMO)