Who are the target customers for the SL?

Peter Walker

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, I guess I'm the lucky one - I've just spent a week in Venice with the SL and the 24-90 . . . . and what's more I was already familiar with it from testing in June and September. The only criticism I have is the strap (I don't like the feel of it, but that's just me) - so I've been carrying it around in my right hand full time, with the 24-90 attached. 

At the end of the week it feels like a real friend, it's extremely responsive, and you can grab a shot in no time - the battery lasts all day, even with the camera switched on - the lens is great at all apertures and all focal lengths - the controls are there for you without getting in the way . . . 

http://lightroom.adobe.com/shares/611b7dcdadc14ba38fc44250048ae583

I won't be cancelling my order!

Jono . I am interested in testing  this camera too . 

Hmm

I guess it's targeted at whoever will buy it. In my case I like auto focus (and manual), never use a tripod, take pictures in the rain/snow, mount all sorts of glass, love wide M lenses corner performance love the RF experience and don't think the SL has much to do with other current MILCs, whether FF or not. 

I'm not sure if it's directed at me, but it's certainly captivated me!

It will be reassuring to know that operating the SL wearing gloves is not an issue.

Manual focus: mostly but not always.

Tripods: rarely.

Atmospheric weather: is that bad weather? Then yes.

Less than optimal care: I don't know what this means. My kit doesn't live in a dry cabinet, but I don't throw it on the cobbles either (oh yes, I did that with my AA 75 summicron once - that was expensive).

Legacy R: I don't have any, but have one on order for the SL (80-200).

WA M lenses: I use the 28 EImarit a lot, but rarely pixel peep.

RF experience: l have the M and enjoy using it.

| don't know what your last criterion means. I do get confused by complex button and menu systems, but | recognise the value of some of the technology in e.g. the EM5ii, which I have: IBIS, silent shutter, high ISO performance etc. I hope the SL can get a silent shutter as a firmware upgrade BTW.

I want the SL as a complement to my M, not as a replacement: portraits, events, music and theatre, where longer lenses and low light exposures and focussing are needed, and portability is less critical. I'm not sure what that makes me as a target.

The 80-200/4 is a very fine lens imho, the one minor downside to be aware of is an apparent IR hotspot (on a Canon sensor) provoked by overcast skies in winter with snow/mist and veiling flare. The integral lens hood is there for a reason.

This thread has been thriving on a steady diet of lumpy troll turds.  They may think they are dementors, but they haven't come close to soul-sucking so far.  If they forget themselves, and don't get back under their bridges when the sun rises later this week, they will turn to stone.  Don't tell them.  (I guess that is a Baggins discovery, not a Potter.)

As for me, I've said this elsewhere, but:

Manual or AF -- whatever works.  AF for events, MF if that's what the lens requires, even for sports.

Tripod -- sometimes, more often than Jono at least. 

Kit care -- I drop them from time to time, but haven't yet had a dog piss on my kit or taken anything down a beer slide.  Generally I get banged up worse than the gear.  Haven't used my Leica M to fight my way out of a riot, and it might not be the right weapon to bring to today's knife and gunfights.

I currently mount some nice legacy R lenses on an M[240], thank you, and sighting them through a VF2 using the M's kludgy LiveView image magnification is getting pretty old.

I do care about the corner performance of some extremely wide M lenses (and others) and am willing to stop down a bit to get it.

Can't see why one should shoot 28, 35 or 50 mm lenses on anything but an M,  but that leaves out a lot.

scott

If the SL matches the build of Canon's 1 series, that will satisfy my expectations.

• Like 1