Who are the target customers for the SL?

Peter Walker

Oh, one other thing... I don't need a camera strap that looks like it is designed to steady a target rifle in order to carry my M around Venice.  I bet I can carry my M in one hand and a cappuccino in the other.   ;)

Rick

Oh dear Rick, Cappuccino........ To paraphrase Captain Rum in Black Adder. " 'tis a woman's drink milord" ;)  :)

Edited by stevelap
  • Like 3

Oh, one other thing... I don't need a camera strap that looks like it is designed to steady a target rifle in order to carry my M around Venice.  I bet I can carry my M in one hand and a cappuccino in the other.   ;)

Rick

:D  :D  :D

• Like 1

Oh dear Rick, Cappuccino........ To paraphrase Captain Rum in Black Adder. " 'tis a woman's drink milord" ;)

My understanding of Italian practice (for men) is that cappuccino is tolerated at the breakfast table with family.  But subsequently, exceeding a liquid volume of 1 cc per shot of coffee is unthinkable.

scott 

• Like 2

Jono,

Great shots as always.  I've been to Venice and have to say that none of those excellent shots could not have been taken with the M, as well.  Except, the M would allow for more isolation with its cadre of excellent f1.4 lenses.  Yes, they can be shot on the SL, but not optimally on the SL.  The M would have been lighter and maybe faster, certainly more enjoyable, for me.  

I guess, right now, the SL is optically less than the current M system.  Considering the only Sl lens, the SL zoom, is inferior to the many M primes.  I suppose the sensors are about the same.

The SL looks like a fantastic but, crippled camera at the moment without any real system lenses that can compare to the M lenses.  I'll wait and watch from the sidelines for now.

Rick  

Hi Rick

Actually there are quite a number of shots I would certainly have missed with an M (the lovers on the bridge - the guy with the dog - various others). Largely because they were fleeting and I would most likely have had the wrong lens on the camera (I don't wander around with a 90mm lens much) - and some of them are at shutter speeds which couldn't have been managed without IS . . . added to which I'm not sure there is a great deal of sacrifice of quality with the SL zoom - but of course you're right about the aperture. 

So you might argue that I'd have got better images with the M, but I don't think it's true that I would have got all of those images . . . . 

Edited by jonoslack
  • Like 1

Oh dear Rick, Cappuccino........ To paraphrase Captain Rum in Black Adder. " 'tis a woman's drink milord" ;)  :)

Hi Steve, too funny!  Around our house we start with a cappuccino.  Certainly no lattes, though.  When in Italy it is a morning shot and an afternoon cappuccino.

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/138641-how-do-you-brew-it/?hl=espresso&do=findComment&comment=1525699

Rick

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Rick

Actually there are quite a number of shots I would certainly have missed with an M (the lovers on the bridge - the guy with the dog - various others). Largely because they were fleeting and I would most likely have had the wrong lens on the camera (I don't wander around with a 90mm lens much) - and some of them are at shutter speeds which couldn't have been managed without IS . . . added to which I'm not sure there is a great deal of sacrifice of quality with the SL zoom - but of course you're right about the aperture. 

So you might argue that I'd have got better images with the M, but I don't think it's true that I would have got all of those images . . . . 

Jono,

I understand that each camera has its strengths.  Pete Souza http://www.petesouza.com owns Leica M's but, he shoots the White House with a DSLR and a zoom.  I'm sure he could do it all with an M, but it would be a lot harder and I'm sure he too would miss a lot of shots.  The SL is certainly going to be a great camera and  system.

I just have to rationalize my camera.   :)   I don't shoot the White House kind of stuff.  But, I do like to shoot Venice kind of stuff.  So, my rationalization is to look at your great shots and for me... I'd rather do that Venice stuff with an M.  And, I can rationalize that the M may produce image wise , for me, a better result.  

But, I do miss my Canon 5DII and L 24-70 /2.8.  Nothing like zooming to the right framing and AF... bam!  But, I don't miss the weight and such for walking around with Venice with that cappuccino.  :rolleyes: 

Nice camera, though,

Rick 

Regarding Pete Souza I was wrong.  Here is a quote from him from an interview I found interesting:

DPP: What equipment were you working with that day?

Souza: Two camera bodies and four lenses: a 24mm, 35mm, 50mm and 135mm. That's what I carry most of the time. I think these fixed lenses are sharper than the zooms, and if I need to, I can use a 1.4 aperture in a dark room. The 35mm is probably the lens I use the most. It's one of the sharpest lenses I've ever used. Sometimes, for a big public event, I'll bring a 70-200mm, which is actually a sharp lens, as well.

http://www.digitalphotopro.com/profiles/pete-souza-master-of-the-white-house

Rick

• Like 1

Well I went to Red Dot in London today to see this beast in the flesh and it is a 'Beast' very heavy with the 24-90 on and not small. IMO in no way is this camera aimed at the dedicated M user but at those who  would maybe looking at an equivalent alternative to Canon or Nikon and while it has some features that I really liked (the joystick for moving focus point and fantastic EVF) I can't really see any 'Pro's switching as yet with only 1 native lens. So I can only really see it being bought by the wealthy and serious amateur who wants the Leica quality and maybe does some paid photographic work on the side. 

Edited by viramati

Well I went to Red Dot in London today to see this beast in the flesh and it is a 'Beast' very heavy with the 24-90 on and not small. IMO in no way is this camera aimed at the dedicated M user but at those who   would maybe looking at an equivalent alternative to Canon or Nikon and while it has some features that I really liked (the joystick for moving focus point and fantastic EVF) I can't really see any 'Pro's switching as yet with only 1 native lens. So I can only really see it being bought by the wealthy and serious amateur who wants the Leica quality and maybe does some paid photographic work on the side.

Did you tried the SL with an M lens ?

If you mount the strap on the camera properly, I don't think that there's any way that the "poppers"  (press studs) could twist around and scratch the monitor.

I showed it to my mate and she said, "Oh, snaps!  How sweet and campy! A biker's fist strap? Can we get snap-on jingle bells for it?

Edited by pico

Had I not just ordered a brand new S-E (006) & 70 Summarit at a price I could not refuse I would be a target customer. My m-lenses do not feel at home on a Sony and the M9 starts to get a little long in the tooth. The SL looks as it could be a GAS  healer for any additional/versatile system next to a Leica. Man have I burned money for mft, Fuji X, Sony e-mount stuff to complement my M8 and later the M9 over the last number of years. Bought, tried, sold all that stuff eventually.

• Like 2

If you have again the opportunity to try the SL, you should try it with an M lens.  I was very pleased with the handling.

I'm sure it will but then I would prefer to use the M with M lenses as that is their natural platform.

Edited by viramati

I'm sure it will but then I would prefer to use the M with M lenses as that is their natural platform.

It may be there original platform, but is the M really the best platform for the wide angle lenses, the Noctiluxes and 75/1,4, 90/2 or 135 ?

Maybe the day the optional EVF will be upgraded on a future M.

For the time being, IMO the M is the natural platform of the 35 and 50mm f2 and f1,4.

It is ok with the 28's and 75/2.

And a bit cumbersome with the other lenses.

I never even thought about buying the 50/0,95, 21/1,4 or 24/1,4 for the M.

But now that they have a natural platform, the SL.

;)

If you have again the opportunity to try the SL, you should try it with an M lens.  I was very pleased with the handling.

Likewise, I fitted my Elmarit-R 24 and Summicron-R 90 lenses to it when I went to see it. It handled beautifully with both. It is definitely set up to balance and handle well with larger, heavier lenses.