Who are the target customers for the SL?

Peter Walker

Great Leica M shots from Venice!  :)

Because they look like the classic street shots we want the M for.

If you went to Venice in a year's time, not to test a camera or lens, which camera would you take out and about with you? Is the SL growing on you as a M replacement?

Edit. To answer my own question, I've just realised that in a year's time you'll take the new M!

Hi There Paul

Well, I'm not a street photographer anyway, so I'm out of my comfort zone. Added to which nothing is going to replace my M (not negotiable). But the SL has been a really fine companion on this trip, for me the SL is a replacement for the messy range of slr/mirrorless cameras I've had over the last few years as a sideshow to the M.

• Like 5

Given all the inventions and upgrades from the M line, and given that I can purchase anything I like, I am entirely happy with the M9 and all the film Ms I have used in the past fifty years.  New enthusiasts should look to this elemental perspective with confidence when first entertaining the plethora of noise concerning the current offerings of Leica cameras.

You can do anything important without the new.

Edited by pico
  • Like 2

I think that the target group for the SL is people who can afford it.

I can afford the SL now. I was able to sell my last , cosmetically terrible 35mm Lux Aspherical for a hefty sum to a collector and now I have the funds.

For me, the SL will be a travel and boat camera. I also hope to shoot my S100mm. with an adapter soon.

lets say somebody walked into a leica store in a couple of weeks, the SL would be an easy choice for pretty much everybody over M....if somebody has to have a M, they most likely already have it by now and the SL offers more....

the video features of the SL will bring people to leica who never would have considered it....Sony does not have 4K clean 10bit HDMI out....

The only criticism I have is the strap (I don't like the feel of it, but that's just me) - so I've been carrying it around in my right hand full time, with the 24-90 attached. 

I have never been a fan of straps.  The camera dangles all over the place.  And, if you have to scramble over something, the camera is in danger of damage.

Instead, ever since I used a heavy MF camera, I have added a wrist strap to all my cameras, even the lighter ones.  Keeps the camera attached to your body, prevents you from accidentally dropping it and distributes some of the weight across the entire hand so you can keep your finger grip a bit loose.  Also makes it easier to get the camera out of the camera bag - if you place the camera in the bag with the wrist-strap facing up.

I like this generic wrist-strap: http://spiderholster.com/handstrap  Very comfortable and, if adjusted right, it gives a firm fit. The "S" shape causes it to stay high up near the wrist.  Looks good too.  And, if you are in place with a high risk of a camera snatcher, it even has a locking strap that makes it very difficult for a snatcher to pull the camera away from you.  Fits just about every camera, one way or the other.  I have bought a new one for my SL, when it arrives.

Regards

Peter

http://spiderholster.com/handstrap[/url] Very comfortable and, if adjusted right, it gives a firm fit. The "S" shape causes it to stay high up near the wrist. Looks good too. And, if you are in place with a high risk of a camera snatcher, it even has a locking strap that makes it very difficult for a snatcher to pull the camera away from you. Fits just about every camera, one way or the other. I have bought a new one for my SL, when it arrives.

Regards

Peter

Thank you for sharing, this is useful for me once I get my SL.

lets say somebody walked into a leica store in a couple of weeks, the SL would be an easy choice for pretty much everybody over M....if somebody has to have a M, they most likely already have it by now and the SL offers more......

I have the feeling the SL will not be available from the shelf for many many months. 

If the Ms or the Q are an indication....

It may be only readily available when the L 50/1,4 and the R to L adapter arrive on the market. 

I have never been a fan of straps.  The camera dangles all over the place.  And, if you have to scramble over something, the camera is in danger of damage.

I like this generic wrist-strap: http://spiderholster.com/handstrap  Very comfortable and, if adjusted right, it gives a firm fit. The "S" shape causes it to stay high up near the wrist.  Looks good too.  And, if you are in place with a high risk of a camera snatcher, it even has a locking strap that makes it very difficult for a snatcher to pull the camera away from you.  Fits just about every camera, one way or the other.  I have bought a new one for my SL, when it arrives.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter

it looks good.  But. It's got metal poppers on it, which, without real care, look like they will scratch your LCD in the bag. Remember also that the SL has square lugs rather than round ones, and I've discovered that straps with circular rings scratch the corners of the body ( not sure that's relevant here).

Hi Jono - have you seen/tried the Leica SL hand strap for use with the the SL MF grip, and can it be attached to the two camera lugs w/o the MFG?

Hi There

Sorry - no - I haven't seen any of the accessories at all (except for the included scrap, which gives me the heebie jeebies!

I'm going to get Leicatime to make me a nice floppy leather strap (that's what I always like best in the end).

• Like 1

Hi Peter

it looks good.  But. It's got metal poppers on it, which, without real care, look like they will scratch your LCD in the bag. Remember also that the SL has square lugs rather than round ones, and I've discovered that straps with circular rings scratch the corners of the body ( not sure that's relevant here).

I would not have recommended this handstrap here if I thought it would scratch the SL.

If you mount the strap on the camera properly, I don't think that there's any way that the "poppers"  (press studs) could twist around and scratch the monitor.  It's firm enough to hold its shape. 

Its optimal mounting method is to run its fabric strap "ribbon" through a wide strap lug like the SL uses.  It does have an adapter for the triangular rings used on the small round lugs found on many other cameras.  But, even with those, nothing metallic can touch the camera as there is a protective piece under the triangular metal loop.

When I get my SL (next Monday - fingers crossed), I'll post a couple of pics of the strap.

Regards

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Jono - have you seen/tried the Leica SL hand strap for use with the the SL MF grip, and can it be attached to the two camera lugs w/o the MFG?

The people in the Leica Store told me that the Leica hand-strap needs the MF grip for the second mounting point at the bottom of the camera. If you want a hand-strap without the MF grip, you will need to look at third-party options.

• Like 2

Jono,

Great shots as always.  I've been to Venice and have to say that none of those excellent shots could not have been taken with the M, as well.  Except, the M would allow for more isolation with its cadre of excellent f1.4 lenses.  Yes, they can be shot on the SL, but not optimally on the SL.  The M would have been lighter and maybe faster, certainly more enjoyable, for me.  

I guess, right now, the SL is optically less than the current M system.  Considering the only Sl lens, the SL zoom, is inferior to the many M primes.  I suppose the sensors are about the same.

The SL looks like a fantastic but, crippled camera at the moment without any real system lenses that can compare to the M lenses.  I'll wait and watch from the sidelines for now.

Rick  

• Like 2