another first impression ...

ramarren

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just returned home from the camera shop and two hours playing with the Leica SL. 

The body is terrific: beautifully made, just the right size, very nice controls all well situated, etc. 

The 24-90 lens is large and heavy, but still has a terrific feel. There seems beautiful quality in the photos, etc. The AF inside the store, when I just snapped around a bit, focuses very fast and accurately. The 24-90 and SL body, the 90 and SL body, the 24 and SL body ... all seemed beautifully balanced and ready to use at a moment's notice. 

The viewfinder is as good for an EVF as the R8 viewfinder is for an SLR. Which means it's very, very good. Focusing the 24mm without any aids takes concentration and some learning time, just like focusing it on a plain ground glass screen takes some effort; use magnification and it's a snap. Focusing the 90mm is a snap with no aids. 

The control setup is very nice indeed. It will take some time and study to fully understand it and configure it to my desires, but even with just ten minutes poking about, everything is logically arranged and easy to figure out. After ten minutes messing about, no button labels were needed, and never will be. All the controls fall nicely to hand, for my hands, and the camera is refreshingly simple and unadorned, no fluff or wasted features. 

I brought a card and my Elmarit-R 24 and Summicron-R 90 lenses, as well as the adapters. Stacking the adapters and fitting the lenses, there's neither anything loose nor anything too tight. It all fits and feels of a piece, made for each other. 

This is not a simple camera, it will take time to learn and become fully versed in all its capabilities and features, fully comfortable with. But once learned, it will work without distraction or confusion. It's a working camera, not a "for style" piece: solid, serious, and capable. 

Like it. Can't wait for it to arrive so I can get to work with it. 
  • Like 11

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I passed by my Leica dealer this afternoon just to buy a filter, by coincidence the SL had just arrived - they did not even had time to fully charge the battery yet. It is extremely nice design (really fresh), the handgrip is very confortable and the 24-90 zoom is not so big, the complete set is well balanced and not so heavy. The viewfinder do not show any lag-time, the resolution is perfect and the large size allows to see everything (including side data) with glasses. The auto-focus is extremely fast and the little joystick to change focus point is very easy to use.

I only have an M (plus a X1 for pocket) and was just curious about this camera but now I'm so impressed by the SL that I think I will need to seriously consider the possibility of purchasing it and skip one M upgrade to compensate for the costs :-)

If you have the opportunity to see it then go and take a look - it is really a surprising camera !

• Like 1