M8.2 "service/adjustment interval"

tifosi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello all,

New to the forum. I have decided to dip my toe into RF and just purchased a pre-owned M8.2. It was serviced/ adjusted by Leica approx. 2 years ago. My question is; assuming it has never had any type of trauma in that time frame, how long can I go before it may need to be adjusted again? I'm hoping to be able to shoot with it for a while and get used to it and see if it's something I want to continue with before I have to commit more money to a service. 

Any info and opinions would be appreciated.

David,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if there was a recommended interval that you get the RF adjusted. 

I guess my biggest question mark would be not knowing if something was off immediately due to inexperience. So if you said "it should be adjusted every 2 years" or something along those lines then I may have it looked at right away. 

Good know and I'll just shoot with it until something seems off. 

• Like 1

Glad that helps...a couple of hints to avoid problems.

Read through some past threads, read the commonly asked questions and answers thread.

I avoid ever using continuous mode...that has been implicated in shutter jams.  It's only two frames per second anyway.

Your 8.2 means a sapphire screen, so you really (probably) don't need a screen protector.

You might like some extra batteries, Leica preferred, but scary expensive.  You'd know by now about using the UV-IR filters...excellent tunes the light to the sensor and protects the lens.

It does not need molly codling.  Don't let the shutter-recock noise "get to you".

I keep my camera so the screen never get a long full blast of the sun; it's fierce down here.   I think this may have something to do with the "coffee stain" problem (heating may cause slight delamination)..

I love the M8 and bought a second in silver chrome. The later is softer and scuffs, marks more easily.

Last thing...if one of your lenses is not focusing properly, don't panic.  It may well mean the lens needs a CLA, not necessarily the range-finder being off.

Cheers  Dave S

• Like 2