Is the T your main camera?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thinning - X1 and X-Vario?

Dunno honestly. Either/both/all will get me in serious trouble with the CFO, she is of the opinion that I must never sell any of the Leica gear.

Selling the X1 would be difficult, it has been on two Euro trips now, and while it hasn't been fired in anger in a while, it has a certain sentimental feel to it.

The X-Vario is difficult, it has the worst rap from nearly any camera out there, but it "just delivers". Few want them, which suits me fine, the only people that do are the ones that have them, or have and want another. Fixed zoom is an asset, not a hinderance, in most situations. Slow? Yep, but slow and steady, it gives great results.

Film stuff? Well, it has to stay, I now have a fridge full of film. The Leicaflex was a gift from a now departed friend, so I cannot sell that. The M6 is for fun, and is a good reason to own several M lenses, so you can see I can't sell that, LOL.

I'd say the T is about the only one I could part with, but I am having that much fun with it, I cannot, not yet anyway. That was my hesitation for buying the 18-56, it parallels of sorts the X-Vario. Now I don't know which to pick up and take with me. What a quandary, spoiled for choice. Great to be alive.

Gary

Don't pick up an SL! It will be love at first touch again! Seriously there are a lot of things to love about that camera. EVF, diopter adjustment, quality, weight, hand-grip, screen, joystick. I do not like the weight when attached to the present 24-90 lens. However with smaller and lighter full-frame lenses in the form of say M or Pentax Limited, this camera would be like a Bentley to a Mini. Very nice to have and own and very capable indeed. It felt super in my hands but the weight with that zoom is a deal breaker for me. One day, I will own an SL - it is just that good.

Yes, I even sold my M240 after recognizing what a relief it is not to carry around thousands of Euros around the neck. The T is leicalike designed and crafted, it is light weighted and the files that come out of this little camera are surprisingly good. I can live with the little bugs it still has. The only thing what I really do not like is the ugly EVF, I just want it within the body.

• Like 1

Yes, I even sold my M240 after recognizing what a relief it is not to carry around thousands of Euros around the neck. The T is leicalike designed and crafted, it is light weighted and the files that come out of this little camera are surprisingly good. I can live with the little bugs it still has. The only thing what I really do not like is the ugly EVF, I just want it within the body.

+1.  And preferably with the GPS.

There isn't room within the T body for an EVF … so has to be 'on' the body.

dunk

Advertisement (gone after registration)

For me the T is as well my main and only camera. i currently own the Wide-Angle Zoom, Tele Zoom and the 23mm Summicron as well as an adapted 35mm f/2. I will grab the 35mm Summilux as soon as it is released, as i did not enjoy the 18-56mm Zoom too much. Also the 23mm does not get much love when there is  an 11-23 in the house as well, just for the rare indoor situations with low light. I shoot mainly landscape, architecture and interiors with tripod.

There isn't room within the T body for an EVF … so has to be 'on' the body.

I believe it is a given that there will be more cameras that take T-lenses.

I don't believe that it is a given that those will have the exact same shape and size as the current T though...

In any case I would prefer the EVF inside the body and with GPS as well, the lack of GPS so far is the only thing I don't like about the Leica Q...

The Leica T in now also my only camera with 3 lenses ; 23mm , 18-56mm , 55-135mm, the Viso and the SF26 that I never use , also planning to purchase the 35mm and possibly the 60mm.

I have 3 bags for this setup, a Billingham Leica bag that holds everything, a smaller Billingham  bag that holds the T and 2 lenses and a smaller Leica bag that holds just the T with either the 23mm or the 18-56mm.

I mentioned: now my only camera, as of yesterday I returned (blasphemy) the Leica Q to the Camera Store in Calgary (they have a liberal return policy).

I performed extensive comparisons between the T and the Q and came to the conclusion that under most (even difficult) circumstances the image quality is very similar, even with the smaller sensor on the T, if one was too print a lot , the Q would have the advantage.

Although I liked the Q a lot ( an outstanding camera ) I didn't see the point of having both the Q and the T , especially with the firmware upgrade and the

announcement of the 35 and 60 mm lenses.

Obviously the T is a more versatile (system) camera.

With a heavy heart I returned the Q , it is such a nice camera , simple in handling, beautiful built, outstanding image quality, really good depth of field.

Upon return, the Q was subjected to a detailed inspection by The Camera Store and low and behold , the lens showed 5 very tiny perfect concentric circles in a corner of the lens, to be seen better with a loupe , every one was puzzled and stomped what this could be , finally a senior person in the store determined that it is a flaw in the lens coating, and this Q is on its way back to Leica.

The T is versatile in various ways , with just that outstanding 23mm , a great, small walk about camera similar to an X or with the zooms like an Xvario.

The money that I am not spending on the Q , probably goes to purchasing the 35mm and 60mm that I am already on the waiting list for.

Leica = Sooo Much Fun.

Edited by peterleyenaar
  • Like 4

The 'ugly' EVF when flipped up is very useful for close-up photography.

dunk 

• Like 2

My T is the simple, light and easy everyday walkaround

But my Nikon D810 is far better and my MM a garantie for more special results

I use the T with cron23 and tele, the MM with 35Lux and the Nikon with two big bags Nikkor and SigmaArt lenses

Edited by johnmoeleker