APO-Elmarit-R 180/2.8

IkarusJohn

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've searched back through the forum looking for a thread on this lens without success.  It is mentioned very favourably in a number of threads, but nothing dedicated to it.

I've purchased this lens (potentially) for use in the new SL.  The price was okay, and with an APO-Extender-R 2x, I'm guessing its a smaller and cheaper option than either of the SL zooms.  Mine had some markings on the edge of the second group of elements (just visible blue dots on the very perimeter of the lens, so I've sent it on to Wetzlar for CLA, and to have any nascent fungus removed.

What makes me curious about this lens is that according to its serial number, it was made in 1997.  Looking at the Wiki, there are versions I & II.  Can anyone enlighten me as to the difference between the two?  The Wiki also says that the vI lenses were marked "Leitz Canada", whereas mine says Leica.  I didn't check for a model number before I sent it off, and there is no model number visible in the pictures I have of it.  

It has a very clean mount, and ROM contacts, which makes me wonder if the mount has recently been changed. I'm really just curious.  I'm assuming it will perform well with the APO-Extender 2x?  I assume I should get a ROM extender as well?

Any comments appreciated.

John

Hi,

I have been using this lens since my R6.2 and R8 days. There were 2 versions, ver 1 can only use the 2X Apo extender, while ver 2 can use the 1.4 Apo extender as well. However, Leica did offer an upgrade from ver 1  to ver 2. Optically, both are the same. Both versions were made in Germany. The previous 180 Apo-Telyt-R was made in Canada. This a great lens and over the years I have used this lens with the DMR, A850, M240, A7R and now the A7R M2. Here are a couple of images from this lens,

http://nns555.zenfolio.com/yunnan_january_2015/h2b09c97a#h2b09c97a

http://nns555.zenfolio.com/namibia/h19c3c484#h19c3c484

• Like 10

It's a lens I regret selling (I needed the $$$$)  IMHO if the focussing ring were damped a little more and it had a built-in rotating tripod collar like the 280/4 APO's collar this lens would be perfect.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 12

Wow, lovely images.  I'm looking forward to getting it back.  I found an APO-Extender-R 2x ROM in good condition for a reasonable price.  Hopefully, the ROM information will transmit through to the SL on the new adapter (when it breaks cover) ...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have been using this lens since my R6.2 and R8 days. There were 2 versions, ver 1 can only use the 2X Apo extender, while ver 2 can use the 1.4 Apo extender as well. However, Leica did offer an upgrade from ver 1  to ver 2. Optically, both are the same. Both versions were made in Germany. The previous 180 Apo-Telyt-R was made in Canada. This a great lens and over the years I have used this lens with the DMR, A850, M240, A7R and now the A7R M2. Here are a couple of images from this lens,

This is why I love this focal length.

• Like 1

I've owned version 2 of this lens for many years and used it on my R7 and DMR with 2x and 1.4x ROM adapters.

I can highly recommend it as being able to produce incredible detail and lifelike colourful images

...and very good booked for tele-lens. I totally agree, with your description: incredible detail and lifelike colors.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your comments.

When I bought the lens, the vendor thought it might have some funds starting.  I sent it straight on to Leica, and they confirmed no fungus, perfectly calibrated and ready for use with my SL (when it arrives).

Cheers

John

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Hi,

Hi! Beautiful images. Thanks,

Hi All!

Pls. post more image of this len!

Please advise the combo IQ this len with SL 601!

Have a nice day!

Thanks!

SL with 180mm APO-Elmarit-R v.1:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

SL with 180mm APO-Elmarit-R v.1:

attachicon.gifsl180apo.jpg

Hi "tritentrue"!

Thanks for your picture! You shoot this len with R camera or SL camera? It look some magic image of R Apo len (Mandel design) that I have not seen on my SL native lens with SL 601.

Please post more picture of this Len, eps. for portrait at max f2.8. I d' like to see the bokeh and skin tone!

Have a good day!

Many thanks!