What drew you to the Leica Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A few years ago I purchased a pair of Leica Trinovid binoculars.  I have been drawn to Leica every since I first looked through them.  As Thorsten Overgaard states in his Leica Q review "If one have tried different binocular brands, one will know that Leica binoculars make you see almost better than with your own eyes. Bright, colorful,contrasty, well-defined and relaxed. Same philosophy."

I love photography and have wanted a Leica since I bought those binoculars.  When the Q came out I knew it was for me.

What drew you the the Leica Q originally?

The Leica "look". Can't explain it, it is just a "look".

Had an M8.2 and loved it.

Old eyes now so needed auto focus so went with the Fuji X100 / XT-1 (Awesome cameras). Also wanted to reduce the camera bag load. Loved the X100.

So the Q is the X100 on steroids.

The Q ticks all my boxes for what I want and my shooting style.

Love it....  :-)

Always liked the look of Leica. What pushed me over the edge with the Q was the weight. I had a 5DmkIII and a few L lenses but it was too heavy and a pain to drag around, so I rarely took photos. I can't even feel the Leica when I have the neck strap on. Sure, some sacrifices will be made to shoot at only 28mm, but I think the majority of my good shots were with the 35L, so its not too far off.

I need a travel camera, I have 5dmkiii but not very practical plus after an hour lugging that and few lenses will punish your back.

I used to have OMD EM5 for travel, but there are times when I miss the sharpness of good glass such as leica glass.

So with this new Q and good focal length of choice instead 35, I have bit more room to work. I can't wait to pick up mine in couple days!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I loved the premise of the RX1R, a small body with full frame sensor and fixed but optimised lens. I couldn't live with the AF/MF capabilities though.

When I found out Leica had produced something of a similar nature but with much better AF/MF I was sold :) everything that came after that was just icing on the cake.

• Like 1

I wanted something that:

- Felt as good to shoot with as my Fuji X100/S

- Produced images as good as my RX1

- Focused as fast as my E-M1

- 28mm like my beloved Ricoh GR

The Q ticked all of those boxes so I sold a couple of cameras as well as my rarely used PC, we downsized the TV and saved ferociously. The fact that it was a Leica added to the mystique but I'd have preferred it if someone cheaper had done it instead!

For me, it has been worth the cost and wait, it is a joy to shoot with and can produce images that far exceed the limits of this weak link behind the viewfinder.

• Like 2

Like some here, I used X100S/X100T for days I feel lazy or want to travel really light. Even thought X100S/T are fun camera to use, I just feel it's colour was still not as likeable to Leica'. I tried Leica X1/X2, but the lack of built-in OVF/EVF was a turn-off. Leica Q ticked the most boxes and been full-frame is a bonus. The M will still be my main camera while the Q will be more days I feel lazy.  

1. I owned a few M6 TTL's Leica's in the past, with 5 lenses. Enjoyed rangefinder, and outcomes of photos.

2. The Q is a paradigm shift for  Leica.

3. The results on this forum, and others, are stellar. Creamy, buttery bokeh, and tack sharp lens.

4. No longer had concern about 28mm

5. 35mm and 50mm are adequate for my purpose; 8 X 10 max for me.

6. Full frame sensor

7 Camera is intuitive and felt right in my hands.

8. Leica Forum members are so passionate about the Q.

I am extremely pleased with my purchase, even though I only have the camera a few days. Good luck!

• Like 1

Interesting what others felt the Q had to offer.  For me, wanted a travel camera that I would enjoy and have excellent image quality.  There are many choices, but few offer the experience. you get from the Q.

Yes, totally agree. It is difficult to drag 10 lbs. or more, with multiple lenses when traveling. Leica image quality on Q world-class. Excellent points. 

What draws me to Q:

1. One-lens camera

2. Sensor

3. AF

4. Size

5. Simple

What turns me off:

1. Fixed lens

2. 28mm - too wide for me

If Q comes with 35 or 50 mm lens, I would pull the trigger.

I originally felt that way. However, unless you blow up images to very large sizes or crop, the 35mm and 50mm options are fine. Astonishingly, I like the 28mm, because it draws in the background. That surprised me. Normally, I like an 85mm or  105mm and portrait shots.

Also, the results are stellar straight out of the camera without Lightroom or other software. Good luck!