Leica SL 601 a brilliant piece of marketing

bab

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The SL 601 is a brilliant idea from Leica, " A chain is only as good as its weakest link" and the folks at Leica have made the SL 601 to with stand the test. After reading  the user manual it came to me how the genius of marketing came to the table with this latest introduction. The manual is very basic and leaves out many details but it gives you a little taste of the features. The Leica SL 601 iincorporates all of Leica branded lenses from the past and the future, allowing photographers with multi facets of interest to combine a variety of tools with one body. They were smart enough to include third party vendors to manufacture adapters and accessories that would take the R&D expense away from Leica and expedite delivery to the marketplace.  Leica has chosen carefully the parts (software and hardware) that make up the body so as not to step into any area where a part or software could break down...starting with the best ever EVF, then tried and true sensor not the latest and greatest most Megapixel biggest power sucking but one that is good enough. A touch screen that has a moderate resolution they didn't go so far as to tilt the screen or allow you to touch using menus but it a touch screen. Button and control systems that they have already proven to be successful with the S's camera line. Leica didn't opt for more than 49 contrast detect points but they could have, they didn't include phase detection for fast moving capture in low light instead playing it safe. The camera boasts 11 FPS shooting ability but the reviews gave it apps 6-7 FPS. The bracketing is only 3-5 steps it could have been 7 even 9 but 3-5 will suffice for most users. Yes the body is over 7k but you can slap on either existing glass or even purchase new inexpensive glass or go crazy and buy a set of cine lenses. Ah but no you have a Noct. Or a 50 lux ver. 1-18 or the new 50  APO nope those won't cut it because if you but the SL 601 and wait you will have the chance to get a new 50mm but not just any new 50mm this one will knock your socks off. (I sometimes wish they would do that with a camera you know release one the is futuristic for the movement)  To me, you see where I going with this its a very useful tool the SL 601 it hits the interest many consumers especially when you know how versital this body can be (it's a fax, copier, printer and scanner) all in one. Brilliant how they introduced the zoom as the only lens kinda like the force pick of a magician making you take a 12k price point but giving all the lenses ever manufactured the ability by way of converters the rare opportunity to sit on a new Leica and actually work. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if lenses from the early 1900s found there way on the body. Speaking of the body the design reminds me of a small cereal box it won't get the negative response most new camera offering theses days receive as being to small, too plastic, not weather resistant...I have to LOL one revewier said they couldn't wait to go out for a walk with their dog in the rain and the Leica SL 601!

so what do you think am I going to buy one?

Hello Everybody,

I read Bab's review of the 601 in Post #1 above as a positive appraisal of the new camera.

He has said:

This is a really good, well built camera.

It takes a very large range of lenses, accessories, etc both current & previous by Leitz/Leica & other manufacturers's. It does this with lenses in 24mm X 36mm format as well as in other formats both larger & smaller. 

This makes it both forward & backward compatible in many circumstances.

It uses current, well proven components in certain situations. Some provided by other suppliers*.

As well as an number of other components which are state of the art.

It appears to me (Michael) that this is a very satisfactory review.

Best Regards,

Michael

* In today's World many manufacturers of high quality products, photographic & other, have a portion of their components provided by third parties**.

** A common practice in the high quality watchmaking business for a long time.

Edited by Michael Geschlecht

The manual is very basic and leaves out many details but it gives you a little taste of the features. 

That is pretty much the same description I would give of the Sony A7 manual, so perhaps the idea that its a copy/clone is not so far from the truth   :p  Anyway, pro's only so it obviously not for me, Leica Marketing ... who is to question such wisdom?