Leica M8 + 21mm lens

jedilost1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,

I love the Leica M8, especially for black and white.

One thing I've somewhat struggled with is accurate framing

I came across a post by someone of Facebook claiming that using a 21mm lens on the M8 would use the ENTIRE viewfinder as your frame with no need for frame lines

Not sure if I actually want to try this..but is this true?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

I've always stuck to using an external viewfinder which is approximate nevertheless. 'Accurate' framing - or at least reasonably accurate framing, seems to get better with experience as far as I can determine (based on my experience). So perseverance with an external viewfinder is IMO the way to go - on the M8 you will need a 28mm viewfinder or the latest version 21mm which has the M8 FOV indicated too. I've shot 21mm lenses on the M8 without an external viewfinder using the 'whole' of the visible built in viewfinder view but as I wear glasses this isn't very effective and depends on how repeatably you position your eye every time you look through the viewfinder. Others may have differing experiences though!

• Like 1

Using a 21mm lens on the M8 crop sensor will net you roughly the field of view of a 28mm lens on a full frame 35mm camera.

The M8 viewfinder used to it's fullest extend will be relatively close in framing that ~28mm field of view.

When shooting living, active subjects it is mostly precise enough for framing - it will not be satisfactory though for precisely framing for accurate work, especially when different subject distance are in the frame (you will have absolutely no parallax indication as there are no 28mm frame lines you could use).

I still use my M8.2 occasionally with a 21mm lens. It's a great combo.

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried the 21-24-28 finder that Leica makes. Frankly it doesn't work any better than just using the camera viewfinder. One tip: when you're using the 21mm lens. Block the middle front camera window with black tape. That will allow little or no light to illuminate the frame markings. When you look thru the camera viewfinder while framing the 21mm you don't have distracting frame lines. You can just stick the black tape to the top of the camera when you're using another lens. Works great.

(Disclaimer: I use to use a 28mm Leitz finder on my M2/M4's. I'm not sure where that dedicated 28mm finder is. It might work fine. My objection is the 21-24-28 Leica finder.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, for 21 on M8 I used my old SUOOQ (28mm FF):

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

better than the "modern" 28mm finder when used with spectacles, very unobstrutive when kept folded on the camera... and also for I have its small leather case which is easy to attach to the camera strap.

Edited by luigi bertolotti
  • Like 3

I too used (and sort of struggled) to use 21mm lens without external finder + glasses, and eventually ended up with 24mm lens instead. The difference is marginal, and the framing much more comfortable. I have a wee Voightlander 24 f4, which is equally teriffic for color and B&W, if you can live with f4 and propensity to flare in some difficult situations.

i use my SEM 21 once in a while on my M8. i also use the original newest 21mm Finder with that combo as the finder has got framelines for the 21 on the M8. but actually i mostly find myself guessing the right angle while looking through the original finder of the M8 and degrading the extrafinder to an expensive yet unnecessary assesoir.

i only need the 21mm finder with the 21mm lens, when i am really up to using all of the complete angle for parts of the picture wich may for no reason be cut off. only when it is very important to frame exactly, i tend to use the finder. but then again, i find the paralx of that finder too much for exact framing and in most cases i usually end up redoing the frame a couple of times and checking it on the display until everything is on the picture the way that i want it.

so for everyday-use i think, the monitor for checking the framed picture after taking it is way more important when using 21mm on the M8 than the finder may be. to really make sense, one would have to use a visoflex-finder just like the one on the M(Typ 240) wich allows to focus exactly using the rangefinder and the compose the picture via lifeview on the screen of the visoflex. but that -just like the accessoryfinder in the hotshoe- won't be as fast as just guessing the angle and using the fullframe of the M8finder.

and for me that's what the Leica is all about: fast snapshooting with incredible picturequality.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I love the Leica M8, especially for black and white.

One thing I've somewhat struggled with is accurate framing

I came across a post by someone of Facebook claiming that using a 21mm lens on the M8 would use the ENTIRE viewfinder as your frame with no need for frame lines

Not sure if I actually want to try this..but is this true?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Hi,

your best friend is practice. Even with a 28mm external viewfinder on the M8, you'll be far from finding accurate framing with near distance subjects. 

Guess frame and get accurate focus !

8531739682_4f07cfc3e4_b.jpg

Rio de Janeiro by JM__, on Flickr

8483145431_25cdaa1b65_b.jpg

crianças by JM__, on Flickr

Have fun !

Edited by jmanivelle

very nice JM !

What other 21mm lens(es) on M8 does the forum like ?

21 Elmarit pre asph  !

22165739045_d44a191b9b_b.jpg

Amitabh Bachchan, mural, Mumbai by JM__, on Flickr

8836542927_94871a4a03_b.jpg

Watchman, Goregaon, Mumbai by JM__, on Flickr

15800347899_1ed3660348_b.jpg

Praia do Forte, Bahia by JM__, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

I really like the Zeiss C-Biogon 21mm on M8.

I use it without external viewfinder

[/url]Leica M8.2 Zeiss C-Biogon 21mm by A. Massart, on Flickr">http://24002091612_1c3b00c328_k.jpgLeica M8.2 Zeiss C-Biogon 21mm by A. Massart, on Flickr

[/url]

>Leica M8.2 Zeiss C-Biogon 21mm by A. Massart, on Flickr">http://23483356753_8493483195_k.jpgLeica M8.2 Zeiss C-Biogon 21mm by A. Massart, on Flickr

• Like 3