What's better on the T ... M lenses or T lenses?

In terms of image quality, the T's 23mm is very M- like.  I don't perceive a big difference in IQ over M glass.

As stated, autofocus is a big advantage for the T lens - especially with the new firmware update.  It makes the T a much faster handling camera than if using manual focus lenses.

Also, white balance is fiddly on the T with M glass (it is on the M also I suppose).  The T's lenses are designed for digital and are a tighter fit - and I rarely have white balance problems with the native lenses (except in tungsten light which I simply set and forget).

Build quality and compact size are a big advantage with the M lenses - but the T's lenses are solidly constructed and I would consider them very high quality.  They're just not made of over-the-top brass and they don't weigh a pound.  That T-23mm is compact without the hood.

Oh - the T lenses are significantly less costly.  Advantage: T.

The standard T zoom is no slouch either and has delightful colors, contrast, sharpness and is without distortion.  It's like having a few (slow) primes in your pocket.  I hear the same about the wide- and tele- zooms but haven't taken the plunge (yet).  

It's the autofocus and these zooms that give the T its real advantage over the M.  It's a nice compact kit that is flexible and fast handling (not having to change lenses all the time).

Initially, I was leaning towards building a collection of M lenses.  With the improvement in autofocus, and apparent commitment to the TL line of lenses, I am instead looking forward to the 35/TL/Lux and 60/TL/Macro.  I hope to carry the T/TL lenses forward to an updated body one day.  

I hope this is helpful.

Also, white balance is fiddly on the T with M glass (it is on the M also I suppose).  The T's lenses are designed for digital and are a tighter fit - and I rarely have white balance problems with the native lenses (except in tungsten light which I simply set and forget).

it's interesting that you brought this up, i sometimes feel like the white balance is a bit funky with the M lens, particularly indoors, but don't own any T lens to compare

otherwise the performance from my summicron-M 50mm has been fantastic

Edited by dbchun

But is not the T-23 equivalent to 35mm?

I was thinking of the quality of the pictures taken.

T23 = 35mm, coming T35=50mm and T60=90mm the mm being approximates when converted. An ideal range for a light travel system, hopefully the lens will be small and light.

In terms of image quality, the T's 23mm is very M- like.  I don't perceive a big difference in IQ over M glass.

As stated, autofocus is a big advantage for the T lens - especially with the new firmware update.  It makes the T a much faster handling camera than if using manual focus lenses.

Build quality and compact size are a big advantage with the M lenses - but the T's lenses are solidly constructed and I would consider them very high quality.  They're just not made of over-the-top brass and they don't weigh a pound.  That T-23mm is compact without the hood.

Oh - the T lenses are significantly less costly.  Advantage: T.

The standard T zoom is no slouch either and has delightful colors, contrast, sharpness and is without distortion.  It's like having a few (slow) primes in your pocket.  I hear the same about the wide- and tele- zooms but haven't taken the plunge (yet).  

It's the autofocus and these zooms that give the T its real advantage over the M.  It's a nice compact kit that is flexible and fast handling (not having to change lenses all the time).

Initially, I was leaning towards building a collection of M lenses.  With the improvement in autofocus, and apparent commitment to the TL line of lenses, I am instead looking forward to the 35/TL/Lux and 60/TL/Macro.  I hope to carry the T/TL lenses forward to an updated body one day.  

I hope this is helpful.

Yes me too those two TL lenses coming in 2016 will make the T a great system.

I'll go against the grain here.

If I have any gripes with what I think is coming T lens-wise it is the size, but correct me if I am wrong. The T35/1.4 is huge, Zeiss/Sony like almost, or am I looking at the wrong thing?

I've been to the Leica site, but cannot find much there, in fact I find this site poor. I wanted to find specifications before I started grizzling about the size of the newer lenses, but can't even find that.

If they are as large as I suspect, then I am out, and it negates any of the benefits that the T has (to me), number one being compactness.

Gary

• 1 month later...

Hi T owners. I have the T with a 23 mm lens and also use the camera with the M/T adaptor with a 50 mm Apo summicron and attach some recent photos taken with this combination. Focus is relatively easy either with the visoflex or via the lcd screen

The colors and detail are absolutely wonderful . Having said that I am looking forward to trying the new 35mm summilux due to the autofocus which I rather enjoy with the 23 mm 59c4b1da752f65ef56c9e944dbe8ee2e.jpge16ac5878dbebd5bd19b667ee1225909.jpg22d37c870a01668d980b5ecd6a73a392.jpgc4b5586b2a6c9631dfdb3883b645aeb1.jpg28544e33762d255c7a717edb83dc40f1.jpg

• Like 9

I'm 50/50 on lenses.

I started with only my M lenses, and a meager collection at that, 28mm Elmarit, 35mm Summicron, and a pair of 50mm lenses, Summicron and Canon 50/1.4. The rationale was the camera is small and discrete, so the likes of the minute 35mm Summicron fitted right in. Even the 28mm Elmarit and Canon 50mm were not overly large.

I pined for A/F, being lazy. I got the 18-56 and it's a nice lens, very nice. Quick enough for me, and not too large (especially if I don't use the hood).

I think a pairing of the 18-56 for lazy shooting, plus the likes of the 28 and 50 M lenses would be perfect. Perhaps with a 15mm Voigtlander if you wanted really wide.

The indications of the 35/1.4 coming will leave me out of the running, it is simply too big, I might as well get the A7 and Zeiss equivalent.

Gary

• Like 2

This should give you a better idea relative to the 23.

I'm wondering myself whether to sell the 23 and pre-order the 35, or keep the 23 so I still have a compact system, and just use my M glass.

Leica-Summilux-35mm-f1.4-ASPH-and-APO-Ma

Judging by the relative scale the 35mm Summilux appears to be about 3 inches tall and the same 2.5" wide.

Summicon-T 23mm 2.5"x1.5"

Summilux-M 50mm 2.1"x2.1"

summilux-T 35mm 2.5"x3" estimate

summilux-M 35mm 2.2"x1.8"

I get that there are electronics and motors inside and that it focuses internally rather than physically growing longer but I wonder why the extra volume was needed.  The need to not block the rangefinder evidently was such an Important design constraint that it seems to have led to a different design philosophy than on the mirrorless cameras like the T and the SL. Anybody know what the difference is?

• Like 1

No Ben, but since you asked, I'll continue my rant with respect to the sizes. I keep harping back to what I considered to be a good yard-stick, the Fuji XF35/1.4.

A/F, A/E, and not terribly big. Why can't we have something like that, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. This projected current T 35 Summilux is way too big for me, not even remotely interested.

Gary

• Like 1

According to b&h website, the T lens is only 5mm longer (70 vs 65mm). The diameter does not matter too much to me as the camera is still bigger than the lens.

What matters more is the difference in lens performance, at least that is what I hope for. People have been complaining about software corrections on Leica lenses, so the approach is now different. 12 elements in 8 groups (Leica) vs 8 elements in 6 groups (Fuji) might make a difference as well.

• Like 1