Leica Summilux-TL 35mm f/1.4 ASPH

It makes more sense to me to buy the T Summilux if one wants to take advantage of autofocus.  That being said, I have yet to buy a T lens and only use my existing M lenses thus far that work great, but am contemplating a T lens soon.  Looking at photos of the new T Summilux, it looks quite large.  I think going to get the 23 for starters just to keep my setup compact.  

It makes more sense to me to buy the T Summilux if one wants to take advantage of autofocus.  That being said, I have yet to buy a T lens and only use my existing M lenses thus far that work great, but am contemplating a T lens soon.  Looking at photos of the new T Summilux, it looks quite large.  I think going to get the 23 for starters just to keep my setup compact.  

I opted for the 18-56 zoom first and it is turning out to be a dynamite little lens. 

I already had a bunch o M primes so I put off the 23mm for a bit.

Edited by jdlaing
  • Like 1

Thanks for the debate...

I have the 23mm TCron and it is, I think, brilliant. I also have a M to T adapter and an M4 body....hence the thought of a crossover lens that could be used on both the film camera and the T for similar pricing to the T Lux, giving a 35mm film option and 50mm equivalent on the T... I'm well aware that it's horses for courses, YMMV etc!

One of the advantages of the T system is the small size and related low weight, in this case a large lens is a little bit counterproductive. Of course in the case of the  TL Summilux 1,4 larger size and higher weight are counterbalanced by the possibility to use the same lens on a full frame body. Now it is up to each one to decide if it is worthwhile or not. As always it's about individual decisions...sometimes not so easy...

robert

Advertisement (gone after registration)

One of the advantages of the T system is the small size and related low weight, in this case a large lens is a little bit counterproductive. Of course in the case of the  TL Summilux 1,4 larger size and higher weight are counterbalanced by the possibility to use the same lens on a full frame body. Now it is up to each one to decide if it is worthwhile or not. As always it's about individual decisions...sometimes not so easy...

robert

Not quite right - you can use the TL lens on the SL body but you will still get a 'crop' image - at 10MP. 

• Like 1

Thanks James for pointing me to this, I didn't realize it...so if using it on an hypothetical future Full Frame T2 or... it will not work  :( or yes but in a crop mode...not good!

I understood it in the wrong way, my mistake.

robert

Edited by robert blu
  • Like 1

I just tested a 23mm TL lens on the SL and compared it to the same shot with a Vario-Elmar 24-90mm.

On a large computer monitor, the pictures both looked the same even when we zoomed in to sections of the image.

If my memory serves me right, the M8 only had 10MP and the images I got from that camera easily made

beautiful 16 X 20 prints.  I think using TL lenses on the SL will be just fine.  

Ciao,  Sully

Thanks Sully, I read your post in the SL forum. it would be interesting to have the possibility to use the same lenses on different bodies, sometimes on a small body for a "casual style"shooting, sometimes on a "major" body for special dedicated work. Hmmm, this is just an idea, free wheel thinking, probably wrong  :)

robert

If you're comfy with manual focus on the T, then the 35mm Zeiss should be fine, and would be like a "double birder" (killing 2 birds with 1 stone) to use on your M4. I've used the 35 M Cron on the T and love it.

Do you have the EVF? That makes a difference for me with manual focus, although 95% of my AF shots are taken using the rear LCD.

• 3 weeks later...

Now we're talking!!

:wub:  :wub:  :wub:

what's the track record like for this blog?  i googled the patent number and found some other sites that discuss the Konica patent but this is the only site that suggests the Summicron-T

Edited by dbchun