Q user? What is your age, or approximate age, etc.?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey Dancook, absolutely love what you're doing with the Q, you're a natural.  Would love to see some of your medium format film shots ... I also shoot medium format film.

Thanks ! Working with a couple of backs at the moment, colour and black+white. Haven't finished them yet to send them off the processing. I line up shots then have a good think about whether I want to really capture it :)

@kkonkkrete also keeping a blog http://leicaqstreet.wordpress.com

Edited by dancook
  • Like 1

Great story Bill.  You're very generous.  If the artistic button is not pressed as our kids grow up, it's lost forever.

cheers  Dave S ;)

Not always lost forever, thankfully. But I totally agree that it should be pressed as soon as possible!

• Like 2

I'm 20 years old. Started photographing concerts at 15, and evolved into a commercial photographer. I've shot 35mm and medium format film, but most of my work is digital. Currently I use a Nikon DF for most of my work and have 2 video cameras as well. After wanting to pick up an M for a while, I was able to to check out the Q at Leica Store Miami and instantly searched all over the country to find one as soon as possible. Samy's Camera was able to ship one out to me within a couple weeks. The joy and simplicity of using the Q is unbeatable. My only issue with the Q is the focal length. Ideally, I would've loved a 35mm lens, but the 28 is a joy to use and I've gotten used to it already.

• Like 4

Thanks ! Working with a couple of backs at the moment, colour and black+white. Haven't finished them yet to send them off the processing. I line up shots then have a good think about whether I want to really capture it :)

@kkonkkrete also keeping a blog http://leicaqstreet.wordpress.com

Yeah, that's one of the great things about MF film, you have to really want the shot to bother hitting the shutter.  When I factor in film, development and scans, it works out at nearly a euro per shot for me  :) I'm not very good, but my keeper rate is WAY higher with MF film than anything else I shoot.

• Like 2

58 yrs old, living in the San Francisco area.  Have been shooting Canon for quite a while, lots of baseball and basketball.  Learned about off camera flash and moved into more portrait shooting.  Last summer I took my family on vacation and lugged my 5D III and my 24-105mm lens around London and Bath.  I got really tired of my family whining "hurry up dad, take the picture" plus it just got plain heavy.  Started looking for a smaller camera that had AF and came across the Q.  Perfect.  I'm now learning street photography by trial and error.  The city of San Francisco is loaded with subjects to be sure.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Groan, am 75 this December 30th, and have been 'banging' around photography all of my life. In the 40's, a Kodak Brownie, 50's, Kodak Pony, Kodak Retina IIa for many a year, late 60's in SE Asia, Nkon F with Photomic F TN Finder, then thru the vaious Nikons in the 90's, and currently sooooo many bodies/lens, embarrassed to tell. The Q my first Leica, for no reason other than somehow thought (not Q) range finder cameras went out with my Kodak Retina IIa. Have been focusing, yup, pun intended on the mirrorless variety and have a few Sonys. 

More of a background, business owner, IT industry, and somehow my fascination with all things mechanical, to inclode collector or only gorgeous firearms, cameras on my list of gorgeous, mechanical devices, and the Q top of the list.

• Like 1

I'm 61 and have loved photography all of my life. Flash back to the  $19 USD (?) Polaroid Swinger, white, plastic buttons which one squeezed before snapping, and then instantaneous gratification as that magical image appeared before my eyes 60 seconds later. I was hooked.

I'm an attorney by trade and taking photographs is just great fun and helps me to remain connected to people and events. Was the family photographer growing up and have albums filled with nostalgia. I just love daydreaming in my study at home which is filled with wall to wall photos of my life. Happy times, happy places, loved ones.

First started in digital with an Olympus 1 or 2 megapixel camera, which I thought was the greatest invention since the lightbulb. Bought an epson photo printer and I was completely rediscovered that "Polaroid Swinger magic" again, some 40 years later.  Graduated to the Canon DSLR system with multiple lenses,etc . . . but was always in a quandary as to what to take. After lugging around a Canon 100-400L across the Galapagos Islands and developing back spasms, I decided there had to be a better way! Loved those shots, loved the zoom, love taking it that zoom to sports events and stopping the action. But, that process ultimately wore me down. 

Took a break for a while with some compact digitals for snapshots, such as the Canon S95. Then, fell in love with the Leica X2 !  Loved the simplicity of the Leica interface, the feel and build of the camera, and most of all that "Leica look" that was magical. Sold the X2, moved to the X typ 113 (which I love) and then bought the Q on a whim. I find the Leica X113 and the Q to be "magnificent sculptures", museum pieces;  no other cameras have that distinctive look and feel.  

I really have no idea what I am doing on the photography end of things, lol, but  I love taking snapshots. I'm not really into this so much for the 'artistic shot', but prefer taking photos of the people/personal events around me. I absolutely love the X 113, but the Q turns it up a notch with the viewfinder and quick auto focus. Wow factor compared to the X 113.  And, I love to pixel peep at the sharpness of the images produced.

On the flip side, I prefer not to spend so much time working the photos on the computer so am trying to find out whether I can live with the OOC jpegs from the Q.  Bought my Q with a 90 day return option so I'm dabbling, but want to really love this camera and have it work out.  

Thanks for listening,

Rob

Edited by ropo54
  • Like 1

Hi everyone!  

My name is John from Los Angeles.  I am full time photographer specializing in entertainment, sports and concert photography.

Just purchased my first Leica Q.  Haven't had much time to play with it, but i'm excited to be part of the community.

Thanks in advance for the kind welcome.  Happy to be here.

• Like 2

I'm 26, diagnostic radiographer (medical imaging), Singapore. Love taking nice images using camera and also nice diagnostic images using state of the art imaging modalities in healthcare sector. First camera was a Canon Powershot G11 and wanted manual control over my exposure, hence got the Lumix GX7 micro 4/3 system in 2014 with two prime lenses (20mm and 45mm). Learnt to shoot with fixed focal length and got comfortable with it, sold it and got the Q. Love the way Leica designs their camera such that we have full control and visual of the exposure factors that we set before making any shots. Not a fan of setting aperture and shutter speed on the screen like the digital cameras, preferred manual handling of exposure factors. Loving the Q more and more everyday. I got the set in early Dec 2015.

• Like 1

32, from Italy. Main occupation: jazz pianist and drummer. Photography as a very serious hobby with sometimes acquires some little pro status :) 

Been shooting since I was 6, my dad gave me an old Kodak 110 pocket film camera before my first school trip in 1990. The care I took of the camera was considered good enough to quickly allow me to the next step: a Minox 35 GT, which I still own (not in use, unfortunately - I don't have patience for film anymore). Then it was Polaroid 600, dad's amazing Nikon F2 AS, Pentax MX and ME Super (bought on eBay), Leica IIIf, Lomo Lubitel 6X6. Not much into darkroom, but always loved shooting. Got my first digital in 2004, a Nikon Coolpix 3200. Then a more serious Sony Alpha 100, and my first mirrorless: the underrated Samsung NX10. Anyway, pictures were good but I had never had that feeling for digital until 2014: the Fuji Year!!! It all started with an X20 (graduation present by dad), quickly followed by an X-E1, a used X100S, a used X-Pro1 until... I sold everything and got myself a Q in September. It's my only camera now, and I have it with me all the time :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I’m 66, and the Q is the first camera I’ve ever owned.  Except for taking a photo here or there for other people using their cameras, I’ve never taken photographs.  But, after having taken several travel programs over the last few years and not getting photos, it became time to remedy that. situation.

I’ve loved the image of Leica optics via my 30 year old Leica compact binoculars and through my recently purchased Leica 7x42 HD-Plus binoculars (GORGEOUS color rendition).  So, my camera search would be confined to Leica offerings and Leica’s beautiful optics.  Knowing basically nothing about shooting photos, I felt I needed something that would accommodate this, at least initially.  Well, in reading about the Q, it seemed to be the perfect camera for me, given my lack of experience (initially).  I liked and like the fact that the Q can go from completely automatic to completely manual.  And, I'll admit, I do like the look of Leica cameras (I have for decades).  It’s been a lot of fun reading and learning about all this “camera stuff”. Using the Q has been so much fun. I love how Leica seems to emphasize getting out of the way and letting the shooter directly and easily interact with the camera.  I’m hooked. Thanks to all the posters here on this site.  I find your comments both helpful and interesting.
  • Like 4

Im 32 from Norway, i work as a graphic designer in an advertising agency. 

I've studied photography as well, and i've been shooting for about 15 years actively now, mostly analog in the beginning, doing my own development of film and dark-room work. 

I got the Q as my first Leica after trying Sony, Nikon and Fujifilm alternatives as a second compact system besides my Canon 5D3 workhorse. 

None of the options satisfied my image quality requirements, so decided to try the Q out, i'm a prime shooter and wide-angle kind of guy, so i loved the simplicity and lack of "right lens dilemma" from the fuji x100t.

The Q is made with the same philosophy in mind, but delivers on the image quality, something i never got comfortable with from Fujifilm and X-trans. 

I thought i would have some issues with the 28mm FL, but it turns out i feel even more at home with that than with 35. 

The Q is awesome, it's in my bag every single day :)

• Like 4

38 years of age in may, Born 1978

History of cameras.

Studied Marketing with photography as a part of the education. During that period it was all about spending time in the dark room. This was back in the 90is.

Tested a few cameras during the years and in 2008 I bought a Canon 20D with some lenses after that it just went on. In no perticular order:

• Canon EOS 50D – after traveling around with the 20D I was in desperate need of an upgrade.
  • Canon 5D mark II
  • Olympus E-PL1 – On a motorbike trip, Stockholm - Constanta - Stockholm 5.800km/8 days.
  • Sony NEX-7 – Loved it, but the menu-system is the worst by far that I have used.
  • Panasonic GX1 – A short love affair.
  • Fujifilm X100 – A before the S-release “I have to try it”.
  • Fujifilm X100s – Love the camera but I want a Leica thats the goal the aim and my only choice.
  • Leica M9 - Loved it and untill this day and on I´ts the best one.
  • Sony A7r – 36MP greatness but heavy shutter vibrations and a bad experience with Scandinavianphoto got me to replace this with the (loved it with the Noctilux from 1978 that I had a short romance with)
  • RX1 - Loved it´s output however hard to find a camera with a slower focusing today.
  • Leica M 240 - A great camera however to much functions for an M
  • Olympus OMD-Em1 - Sorry Olympus not my cup of tea
  • Leica Q - It´s a great camera that delivers the Leica feeling with som added benefits (AF) however the movie-mode is one of the parts that needs an update from Leica. I need at least 25p and 50p at 1080p to resolve the problems with flickering lights. 
  • Like 1

47 from the United States. Have been enjoying this strictly as a hobby for almost 40 years. 

The 70's

- Pentax K1000

- Yashika FX-3

- Canon A-1

The 80's

- Contax RTS II

- Pentax 6X7

- Canon Canonet

The 90's 

- Nikon F-5

- Leica Minilux

- Agfa ePhoto 780 (my first digital and a rare example of my poor judgement) 

- Agfa ePhoto 1680  (By far the worst camera I've ever owned)

2000's

- Nikon D2S

- Nikon D300

- Nikon D3 (First digital that made film obsolete for me)

- Nikon D3S

2010's

- Fuji X100 (sold all my big clunky Nikon gear and moved to these outstanding Fuji's)

- Fuji X-Pro1

- Fuji X100S

- Hasselblad 500CM (bought it in 2012. The only film camera I currently use)

- Leica X2

- Sony RX1

- Sony A7r (Like the previous poster I found the shutter vibration incredibly annoying) 

- Nikon Coolpix A (bought for $300 used in like new condition, the best camera value ever) 

- Leica X113

- Leica Q (Close to perfect for me) 

Edited by ejn09

69 going on eighteen and three quarters!!

Retired Traffic Bike Cop

My main passion from being able to remember anything has been motorcycling. I have photographs of my mother and father, my brother and myself, dating back to the early 1950's .... always a motorcycle somewhere in them. Those old photographs perhaps, sub consciously, ingrained in me the need to preserve the past, the memories and the times. 

So I've always had a camera of some description or another, even carried a small one at work when out on patrol (unofficially) so that when I took a photo of a motorist with a plank of wood sticking out of his side window by four feet, for instance, and having to drive round the lampposts to miss them, they always pleaded guilty  :rolleyes:

Two six month overland trips with girlfriend, on two BMW 650's, both nudging 60 years of age, Russia, Siberia, Mongolia, Gobi Desert, returning through all the Stan's, then later through Turkey, Iran and Pakistan, always with a camera handy. www.adventure.gs

So photography has always been a constant companion for me. Bought a s/h Leica X1 and I was hooked on the red dot. I should never have sold it. My little De-Lux 5 is a keeper. Moved from a De Lux (Typ 109) to the Q .... a smart move Micky. 

Also have the Fuji X100T and the X-T1 with several WR lenses. Why do I need so many cameras  :lol:

Regards Mick

Edited by MickyW
  • Like 1