Q user? What is your age, or approximate age, etc.?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

77 Days to 44, currently in the UK.

My first camera was a Minolta weathermatic 110. My late dad's gift.

Still in possession of his Agfa 16mm miniature camera, Kodak TWzoom Quartz date (which works really fine), Kodak instamatic 133 and a -still clunky- SX-70.

Bought my self an F601 a quarter of a century ago (which I used for many years) and moved to digital with the Sony DSC F55 selfie (before selfies) camera. Next stop was an LX-3 which impressed me with its fast f2.0 lens and then moved back to film with the acquisition of a Zeiss Ikon ZM. Entered the Leica game with an X2 which i sold for the Q.

I am amazed what this tiny gem can do from portraits to landscapes. Still learning how to use it.

Its the only digital camera I would keep.

Edited by cyrusthevirus
  • Like 1

Seventy years-old.

My mother was an arts enthusiast and when I was eleven we went to downtown Hartford, Connecticut to G. Fox & Co.,  a huge department store which sold a few 'blems'. She found a gold colored Brownie Bull's-Eye with a subtle surface defect for a good price, bought it and handed it to me. I was stunned. At the same time my Father had just given up his mild excursion into photography so my next younger brother got his Kodak Duaflex which I found to be just terrible in every respect. My penchant for viewfinder cameras had begun. I still have the Bull's-Eye.

I did stone lithography for fun as a teen and left home at Sixteen. Carrying about stone and grease pencils was not an option. I met a man in rural France who became my accidental mentor. He used a Leica M2. I used a Petri 7, another rangefinder camera. Later I went deep into debt to get an M2 and 50mm Summicron.

I learned photography, in particular a photojournalism style and by luck was hired as a daily news photographer in Chicago where I accumulated the standard Nikon F stuff, and purchased a few Leica M4s. I still have one of those M4s. I moved on to magazine work, and eventually I put away photography when I stumbled into higher education and computer programming and found I was actually good at it. The Nikons went into padded hard cases for decades, in fact so long that the padding in the cases turned to a tar-like bog. The Leicas stayed out.

Today I use nothing but rangefinder, view finder and view cameras. I wish I had the energy I had as a young man. Don't we all?

• Like 3

I'm 68.

In 1959, 6th grade, Larry Harris brought a contact print frame, a big red safelight bulb, and chemicals for developing.  After seeing the image appear 'magically' on Velox paper, I HAD to do this.  I used my first camera, Brownie Hawkeye, and took rolls and rolls of clouds, our dachshunds, and my family just to have negatives to play with in the darkroom (the basement bathroom).

1962 - Kodak Stereo (a gift to my family from my uncle)

1964 - Nikkorex F with 50MM f2.0 and clip-on selenium meter

- Beseler 23 C with 50MM Companon 

1967 - Nikon Ftn with 50MM f1.4 (mistake - not as sharp)

- Minox B

1968 - US Navy (used Minox B and Nikkormat FT with 50MM f1.4)

- Rollei SL66 with 50, 80, 150, ttl meter (bought for half US price in Naples, Italy)

1971 - Minox C

1974 - Chromega D2 XL with 80MM Rodagon

2003 - retired as camera store manager

2011 - Panasonic LX5 (first digital camera)

2012 - Leica S2 P with 35, 70, 120 (the gov't gave me some dough)

2015 - waiting for my Q from B&H since 22 June

• Like 1

An interesting thread but the first question that springs to mind is "why is this in the Q sub-forum rather than Barnack's Bar?"

My rationale for the starting the thread was that I believed it would be fascinating  to understand the diversity of the Leica Q group, and not Leica photographers in general. Forgive my glaring ignorance, however, I had no knowledge of Barnack's Bar.  Many Q users stated that  they find it interesting to see who we are, and how we arrived here. I do as well.

Good luck!

• Like 3

My rationale for the starting the thread was that I believed it would be fascinating  to understand the diversity of the Leica Q group, and not Leica photographers in general. Forgive my glaring ignorance, however, I had no knowledge of Barnack's Bar.  Many Q users stated that  they find it interesting to see who we are, and how we arrived here. I do as well.

Good luck!

Fairy snuff, as we English are wont to say ;)  At 68, fast approaching 69, I am plenty old enough for the bar but getting a bit too long in the tooth to recall with any great accuracy my first foray into photography - AFAIK it was pre-teen.  Since then it has been something akin to feast and famine in that there were periods when photography was all-consuming followed by periods when it didn't exactly take a back-seat but fall off the seat altogether.  You know the sort of thing - hunting/shooting/fishing, motorbikes, raising a family, motorbikes...

First new camera was an Olympus Pen, followed by a Yashica SLR then Canon FT.  After those I tended to favour 6x6cm - Yashica 124G, Pentacon 6, Mamiya C3.  At one time I converted the utility room into a darkroom and had a LPL 7200.  Prior to going fully digital in 2005 with a Canon 20D, I had a Contax G2 black outfit (which in a way I regret selling).  A 5D then 5D MkII with a collection of L glass followed but there was always a sneaking feeling that I was missing something, so I resurrected my Pentax ME Super.  Health issues then dictated a need to downsize weight-wise so late 2009 saw my first foray into Leica-Land with an M9, initially with ZM 35mm & 50mm followed later with a Summarit 75mm.  Naturally, the thought occurred that as I could only use one lens at a time on the M9, another body was needed and an M7 also satisfied the film itch.  Well, not completely as since then a 1957 IIIg and a Rolleicord Vb have also wheedled their way into my affections. Oh, and a MP ALC.  

A while back the M9 was replaced by an M240 and the digital armoury was strengthened with an X-Vario for our travels.  My concern now is that there is neither time nor sufficient opportunities to do justice to these superb artefacts!  Now, I really must abandon the keyboard and go and develop the 35mm & 6x6cm films from our latest trip around France & Spain...

PS - the situation was further complicated by a new neighbour, on seeing me with my M240 said "ah, would you like another old camera? I was just about to dispose of this bag of old camera-stuff to reduce clutter".  Out of curiosity I accepted and a pristine Olympus OM 2N, Zuiko 50mm f1.8 plus other lenses have been added to the equation. 

Edited by Keith (M)
  • Like 2

62. Graphic designer and product photographer. First camera at 13 a Pentax and a bathroom darkroom, later in high school a Nikkormat and an F. In art school and beyond, various Blads (500, 501, 503cw); Leica IIIC, M3 and M5; later a Nikon N90s. Switched to digital with Canon in 2004. Then, 1DII, 1DIV, 5DII, 5DIII. Kept the 5DIII and the best lenses for work (Otus!) and sold the others and a Nikon film scanner to fund a Q for travel and grab-and-go. The more interesting L lenses are quite big and heavy. The last time I went to Mexico, my Gura bag weighed 30 lbs. I decided never again.

• Like 1

I'm in my late 50's and I have been into photography since I was 13. I started with a Nikkormat in 1973 and have had many, many cameras since. My first Leica was M6 about 1993 or 94, I had an M8 and M9, now a Q and still other cameras including Sony A7RII.

• Like 1

43 here, been a professional painter/illustrator and musician for 20 years and photography has always been an integral part of my work. Learned the lay of the land on a Pentax K1000 and eventually bought a Rolleiflex E2 which was my main camera for the better part of a decade. I bought into the micro 4/3 stuff right before my daughter was born 5 and 1/2 years ago since I wanted to shoot digital, but not drag along a huge system. Got bored and started to research FF options and the Q just spoke to me. Been loving it, reminds me of the days shooting film and having to actually think a bit...

• Like 2

I am a 77yo retired physician. My first Camera was when in High School I used  a ww2 surplus 4x5 Speed Graphic.Took pictures for the school paper and yearbook. Did the same in college with the same camera. Lugged around a large case with camera,many film cassettes, plus big flash bulbs. I quit photography while in Med School...some years later took up with a 35mm yashica...with the light meter built around the lens...then later went to the  NIkons and many lenses...But now i have just the Q which is an unbelievable tool, and am thrilled to use it. 

• Like 1

I am 68, and have been involved as an enthusiast since my 20's. Began with a Miranda Senorex (recommendation from Consumer Reports), migrated to Nikon F2, and many other Nikon's, to Leica M, then back to Nikon 800e. Leaning to the Q (on waiting list). 

Enjoying everyone's history. It is utterly fascinating how we are arrived at this intersection. 

Well, I am more than leaning to the Leica Q. Leica e-mailed me Friday evening, and informed me the camera will be in on Tuesday. Picking up the Q then, after an informative excursion to Miami Leica on Saturday. Appreciate everyone's input about the Q.  Extremely happy!

Chapter 1:

- Canon EOS 350D

- Canon EOS 30D

- Canon EOS 60D

Chapter 2:

Sold the whole Canon stuff...

- Fuji X100 (best digicam ever!)

- Fuji X-Pro1

Chapter 3:

Sold the old Fuji stuff...

- Fuji X100s

- Fuji X-T1

Chapter 4:

Sold the X100s... (sad about it..)

- Fuji X-T1 still in use (loving it!)

- Leica Q

• Like 1

Hello everyone.  I'm soon to be 66.  I'm new to the forum, Leica and the Q.  This is not to say I haven't followed and thought about using a Leica for a long time.  Photographically my history began in college with a Kodak 110, though it wasn't used for "photographs" but "taking pictures" as I had no idea or real interest in photography.  A few years later as I was embarking on a career in the military and about to be posted overseas my sister told me I needed a "real camera" to capture all the places I'd be seeing.  She was also very kind and paid for a Canon F1 and standard lens.  It didn't take long for the bug to take hold and I was shooting everything I could.  Being stationed in Japan with a strong dollar I was soon adding lenses to the collection.  The F1 and later F1n sustained me for a long time, right up until digital became a viable alternative.  The first piece of Leitz gear was purchased while in Japan, a table top tripod and large ball head (still going strong today). 

A Canon 20D started me on digital cameras and I am shooting today with a 5DIII and 5DSr.  When the Q came out and it offered a full frame sensor, fixed lens with great image quality I knew the time had come to add a Leica. 

I am enjoying the smaller and lighter camera compared to the size and weight of a DSLR and the beautiful photos it is capable of making. 

• Like 2

nice thread, quite interesting to find out about the similarity and differences in the phorographical vita.

1959,at the age of 8 years I started with the Kodak Instamatic, then continued with my mothers's Zeiss Ikon and 2 lenses. A series of Canon ff cameras followed in form of Canon Ftb, AE 1.

The digital times began for me with a Fujifilm Brigecamera, the final step was a Canon 5D MKII. For this I bought a couple of Leica R lenses which had always been my dream to shoot with Leica lenses. And they promissed to be the right decision.

My first Leica Camera followed to be an X1. Fantastic little camera.

I also use an Olympus EM 5 MFT with 2 Panasonic Leica lenses: a great firstrate combination of Summilux, and Nocticron.

Since I have all the stuff I want there is one thing I recognized that the 28 mm is my favourite fl. So I am waiting eagerly since July for my "Q" to arrive. It will be a a step further in IQ, lightweight and my favourite themes in landscape and street. For special things I'll probably use the other stuff as well as before, because planning a shoot will require the proper choice among the right tools. This is the reason why I keep my stuff and do not sell what I love so much. I use all my gear and often heavily.

• Like 3