Q user? What is your age, or approximate age, etc.?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am now 61. Have been a professional photographer and photography teacher since the eighties! Photographed using most camera's such as Nikon, Canon, Hasselblad, View Cameras, Fuji Panorama. Am now enjoying the fact that I am no longer photographing for clients.The Q gives me the freedom and quality I was looking for!!

Kind Regards Andy

• Like 3

I'm 65 years young and have been taking pictures since i was 12 when my father showed me how to load/use his Rollei 2.8. I learned black and white darkroom skills in high school photo service club and was using a 4x5 Speed Graphic for 4 years, first 35mm was a used Nikkormat FTN. Shot weddings with a Mamiya 2 1/4 with a Rollei petaprism and a Metz 401 while I worked in a camera store for a few years. Still love taking pictures and now i can afford whatever my little heart desires! Great to have fun with a hobby for over 50 years.

• Like 1

I'm in my late 50s. Photography strictly for fun.

First camera purchased in 1980. It was an Olympus XA - after seeing a picture taken of me at the top of a mountain in Colorado.

By 1982, a Fuji SLR. Then a Yashicamat (great camera!) -> Pentax 67 -> Toyo 4x5 -> Century 8x10 -> sold it all in frustration. 

15 years later, Yashica T4 (another great camera) for honeymoon.

Then Olympus 3030 (baby on the way - need new camera!) -> Oly 5050 -> Canon 10D -> Canon 1D (children require pro AF!) -> Canon 1DsII (still sees regular use)

Some failed experiments: Canon 5D (mark I), Epson R-D1(its analog gauges are the single best design element in all of photography), Pentax 645N (film only, although I have a bunch of lenses... hmmm), Hasselblad 500 (inherited - great viewfinder, but film and I have parted ways). Olympus µ43 (I just miss the DoF and MP). Sony A7II (well, it DOES let me focus the 75 Cron, and the 16-35/4 is a great lens, but it's not a pleasant experience, and the adapters are flaky).

Leica M9 + many lenses (favorite was 28 Cron). Phase/Cambo/Schneider (don't ever try a technical camera unless you want to get immediately poorer). Didn't use the M9 much (RF experience much less compelling if you need glasses) so sold most of the M gear and got a Q. The S is very tempting, but I have the tech cam for landscapes, and the Q does so much so well.

Best,

Matt

Edited by mgrayson3

I'm 71 and recently retired from a freelance photography career. My first Leicas were a pair of M3ds bodies and three lenses purchased in 1982. I didn't need the Leica system because I already had a full array of Nikon equipment, but my wife suggested I get it as an inducement to quit smoking. Our agreement was that if I ever smoked again, the Leicas would be immediately sold. I never smoked again! Since that time I've owned a pair of M6 bodies, lenses from 21mm to 135mm, two M7s, two MPs, the M8, Monochrom, and finally the M(240). I've also had nearly every point & shoot Leica made and currently have the D(109) and V(114), in addition to my brand new Q that just arrived today. About a month ago I realized that I never used or needed the M system, so I cleared off the shelf entirely and am now down to just three cameras--the Q, the D(109) and the V(114). It feels great.

• Like 3

59. Photography as a hobby. Started many years ago with my father's Leica R system but over the past 20 years used mostly Nikon's, including D70, D200 and finally D800. In 2014 acquired the Leica D-Lux (type 109) to have more a point and shoot when traveling. The picture quality was phenomenal and it made me realize how much more I would use a camera when not having to carry around a heavy camera. When the Q was announced, I sold all my Nikon equipment and gifted the D-Lux to my son, who is just starting with photography. He just came back from a trip to Iceland with incredible results. 

The Q went on it's first trip in December and I have totally fallen in love with using it for all the reasons mentioned elsewhere in this forum. For me, the 28mm fixed lens works well for 90% of the time and it's only limit is obvious. Would not recommend taking it as your only camera on safari!

Expect to have this camera for some time and realize that if I want a camera more versatile, it would have to be either a M or some future Leica that does not yet excist. 

• Like 1

I am 62 y.o. and started taking pics over 40 years ago with a home-made camera. After praktika, nikkormar, nikon F1, nikon EL, nikon D600, nikon D800.

I have the whole Leica T system but didn'tget very well along with: missed the full frame...so I have the Leica Q since last september and am veryhappy with it.

I cannot carry my nikkon pro cam and lenses all the time as I used too (age...strenght...) and was looking for a cam I could always have with me and that would not give me regrets not to carry the nikon: I found it, it is the Q.

I am retired from merchant navy and now am dedicated to enjoy peace and photograph.

sorry for my unperfect english: I am portuguese, from Algarve, where I live.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am 58. Just got my Leica Q mainly for travel and street photography. I also own a Nikon D750 and still have my first camera, a Nikkormat FTN. It works very well and I still love to use it. It is 41 years old! I also have the Olympus OM-D EM-1. So I am a gadget freak it seems... But really love my photography. The Q is really terrific! I have been using it exclusively the last 3 weeks to get use to it, esp the 28mm frame. Love the look of the photos I am getting, it's ease of use and the breath in its dynamic range. Great camera and lens!

I'm 64. I just got my Q about a month ago. My first Leica. I'm loving the IQ and the ergonomics. Build quality is superb. I also have a Canon 5D3 which I like a lot for wildlife photography with my 70-200 f/2.8 and 500 f/4 lenses. I've been doing photography for most of the past 55 years. Love it still. Huge Lightroom user. Still learning photoshop which I'll likely be doing until I'm done. Great forum. Enjoy the technical discussions. I haven't figured out how to post a photo yet. Still need to research that. Thanks.

• Like 1

Age 5 - received father's Brownie 620, the version with flash connectors, but no flash.

(skipping to the end of a very thick book of cameras and experiences)

Age 50 - picked up the 262, the latest addition to the herd.

Eric

P.S.  Waiting for the sequel to come out in 2016.

• Like 1

64. For my part, I started photography in 1970. My first camera was a Nikon F, then 75 in a Leica M4 followed by a Leica M6. In 2004, I purchased a Digilux 2 Leica M9 and then in 2009 and now, I use a Leica Q I just bought last month and I am more satisfied.

• Like 1

I'm 29, living in Switzerland and and purchased my Q two days ago. It's my first Leica. "My" first Camera was a Nikon FE. It actually was my Mom's, but that's where it all began for me in the early 90s. Then I got myself a D700, D3 when I seriously started Photography in my 20s. About two years ago I made the switch to Fujis X Cameras. Now I just sold my X-T1 and X100T and can't wait to go out with my Q. :)

• Like 2

• 3 years later...