This forum is therapy for me: more advice, please

Advertisement (gone after registration)

At long last, it seems as though my Q is on its way and I may have it in my hands by this time next week. You'd think that'd be enough, wouldn't you?

The trouble is that I made a mistake today which may have consequences. I was passing through town and called into the Sony store, just out of interest, to have a look at the A7rii plus 55 1.8. I've read review after review but this was the first chance I had to actually hold one. And the trouble is that I liked it. To make matters worse, the guy offered to knock a couple of hundred pounds off. And I said I'd think about it.

So... Having got rid of all my Canon gear and lenses in favour of the Q, I always knew that I'd hanker after a bit more reach; not instead of the Q, you understand, but in addition to. Is this ridiculous? I'm calling on all you Q+A7rii owners out there (especially those who use the Sony 55 1.8) to share your stories. Half the battle is knowing I'm not alone!

Personally I don't like how the A7 series handle or the interface but I do have other cameras that I intend to keep along with the Q. I have an Olympus E-M1 with a few primes when I need wider than 28mm or longer than 50mm; a Ricoh GR because it is truly pocketable and is just awesome; a Sigma DP2M because it is stunning in the right situations (and terrible in others) and an Olympus WG-3 for shooting in the sea/beach.

The Q is stunning but a fixed 28mm is always going to be a bit limiting, some can live with that due to the shots they take, personally I like having a few other cameras to fill the gaps :)

At long last, it seems as though my Q is on its way and I may have it in my hands by this time next week. You'd think that'd be enough, wouldn't you?

The trouble is that I made a mistake today which may have consequences. I was passing through town and called into the Sony store, just out of interest, to have a look at the A7rii plus 55 1.8. I've read review after review but this was the first chance I had to actually hold one. And the trouble is that I liked it. To make matters worse, the guy offered to knock a couple of hundred pounds off. And I said I'd think about it.

So... Having got rid of all my Canon gear and lenses in favour of the Q, I always knew that I'd hanker after a bit more reach; not instead of the Q, you understand, but in addition to. Is this ridiculous? I'm calling on all you Q+A7rii owners out there (especially those who use the Sony 55 1.8) to share your stories. Half the battle is knowing I'm not alone!

I own both and they both have their positive attributes.  Obviously the Sony is the choice if want more than just a fixed lens. I think the Q is a great choice if you have multiple camera's.

I find it somewhat frustrating after using the Q to shoot with the A7rii, the interface is just plain cumbersome in comparison. The Q is so easy and fun to shoot with.

One thing you may also consider is if you like to shoot Macro.  Short of the Sony 90mm Macro lens, Sony's lens lineup have a fairly long minimum focusing distance.  

In addition most of the Sony/Zeiss lenses you add (16-35 f4, 24-70 f4, 35mm prime) really make the A7rii feel heavy.  The Sony 55mm 1.8 is a great lens, I would agree.  I don't know that is is better than the Q's 28 1.7.  I think I prefer Leica glass to Zeiss.

If you can live with the Q's prime, you won't ever be disappointed in the quality of the photos or the shooting experience (and you can shoot Macro).

Shoot with the Q for a while and get the feel for it. 

There's no "problem" with liking the A7 cameras. If it works for you, that's fine. But, I'd come to grips with the Q first, and try to work out what you want to add. If you find that you like the Leica gestalt, then a second hand M9 might be a good option, coupled with a 50 or 75. The benefit of that would be a consistent feel in how the cameras work.

Conversely, you'd be buying into a system limited to the 18 to 135 range. The A7 is more flexible, if it works for you (didn't for me). 

Edited by IkarusJohn

Just as an FYI I had the A7ii and ended up selling and went with the Nikon DF and and a Q.  For me this gives me the best choices in using primes for the DF and the pleasure of using the Q.

The A7 offered excellent image quality but  just did not give me pleasure in using it.  In the end a camera that can do both is for sure worth keeping.  I suggest renting the A7 for a week and see how you feel about working with it.

i sold A7ii + FE55/1.8 + loxia35/2 + samyang12/2.8 to acquire Leica Q

what i prefer from q:

- startup time & focusing speed (auto focus), sony feel laggy.

- form factor (retro is still the best)

- summilux lens

- simple menu, simple button layout 

what i prefer from a7ii:

- many choice for lens (autofocus and manual)

- zeiss lenses

- better handling (q is better if using pricey thumbs up)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

So... Having got rid of all my Canon gear and lenses in favour of the Q, I always knew that I'd hanker after a bit more reach; not instead of the Q, you understand, but in addition to. Is this ridiculous?

There's only ever one camera in your hands and the subject in front of you.

I've been through this and have narrowed the range of the photos I take as I shot more and more. I found I was consistently either 28mm or 50mm.

So from having a full range of M lenses, I'm now back where I started. The Q, with fixed 28mm and perfectly fine 35/50 crops (I'll rarely want 8mp 50mm shots blown up to the size of a house ;)), but I did keep my M3 with a 50mm 'cron. 

FWIW, I'm still yet to see shots with the Sony compact FF's, either the A7's or the RX1's, that render colours like the Leica's so for me I'd always be dissappointed.

Buy the Q and shoot like a mad thing. If you need to, step closer to your subject and in the meantime, wait for a second body from Leica optimised for full frame and at 50mm which may surely come in due course. If you're not bothered about AF, then alternatively, hoarde Lecia glass and get a second hand M9 or M.

If it was me and I had 2 brands/systems, I'd be endlessly comparing the 2 and it would drive me right up the wall.

Edited by Rapierwitman

I own both and they both have their positive attributes.  Obviously the Sony is the choice if want more than just a fixed lens. I think the Q is a great choice if you have multiple camera's.

I find it somewhat frustrating after using the Q to shoot with the A7rii, the interface is just plain cumbersome in comparison. The Q is so easy and fun to shoot with.

One thing you may also consider is if you like to shoot Macro.  Short of the Sony 90mm Macro lens, Sony's lens lineup have a fairly long minimum focusing distance.  

In addition most of the Sony/Zeiss lenses you add (16-35 f4, 24-70 f4, 35mm prime) really make the A7rii feel heavy.  The Sony 55mm 1.8 is a great lens, I would agree.  I don't know that is is better than the Q's 28 1.7.  I think I prefer Leica glass to Zeiss.

If you can live with the Q's prime, you won't ever be disappointed in the quality of the photos or the shooting experience (and you can shoot Macro).

Many thanks for those thoughts, atvrider. I was thinking that the macro end would be well-served by the Q (looking forward to testing that, as I haven't had a macro lens for ages). I'm sure you're right about the Sony/Zeiss glass not being in the same league as Leica's (it was really a length, rather than a brand/quality thing I had in mind). Seems like the Q is great, albeit not necessarily a lone camera.

There's only ever one camera in your hands and the subject in front of you.

I've been through this and have narrowed the range of the photos I take as I shot more and more. I found I was consistently either 28mm or 50mm.

So from having a full range of M lenses, I'm now back where I started. The Q, with fixed 28mm and perfectly fine 35/50 crops (I'll rarely want 8mp 50mm shots blown up to the size of a house ;)), but I did keep my M3 with a 50mm 'cron. 

FWIW, I'm still yet to see shots with the Sony compact FF's, either the A7's or the RX1's, that render colours like the Leica's so for me I'd always be dissappointed.

Buy the Q and shoot like a mad thing. If you need to, step closer to your subject and in the meantime, wait for a second body from Leica optimised for full frame and at 50mm which may surely come in due course. If you're not bothered about AF, then alternatively, hoarde Lecia glass and get a second hand M9 or M.

If it was me and I had 2 brands/systems, I'd be endlessly comparing the 2 and it would drive me right up the wall.

Many thanks, Rapierwitman - it's really helpful to hear from others who have been through it all. I suspect that the IQ from the Q, not to mention the shooting experience, is going to transform a lot of my thinking and perhaps move me away from more obviously electronic systems (I know they're all electronic, but...). My experience with the Fuji X system in recent years has drawn me back to a more manual feel, and I suppose that's what was at the heart of the Q attraction. I really appreciate the advice.

• Like 1

Many thanks, Rapierwitman - it's really helpful to hear from others who have been through it all. I suspect that the IQ from the Q, not to mention the shooting experience, is going to transform a lot of my thinking and perhaps move me away from more obviously electronic systems (I know they're all electronic, but...). My experience with the Fuji X system in recent years has drawn me back to a more manual feel, and I suppose that's what was at the heart of the Q attraction. I really appreciate the advice.

Yeah, very true. Ironically, my reference has always been Fuji Velvia 50 and the first time I put a roll through my M3 with a 28mm lens. Just stunning and no digital camera has been able to emulate that since.

But my Leica experience for both colour and contrast is the closest.   :)

I heard a good saying the other day....'Always put your brain between the lens and the camera'

Edited by Rapierwitman