Voting for 28th Barnack Challenge - do it here!

erl

Here my vote:

three points for Erl

two points for erl

one point for Bateleur

Rgds

Christoph

Very flattering Christoph but as eckart has pointed out, it does not work this way. :D

Last chance to vote!

Depending on where you are, there are only 24hrs (or less) left to vote.

The voting is very close so please add yours. This will give a larger representation of outcome.

Just one vote could change the outcome!

After breakfast and walking the dog tomorrow morning my time,(AEST; ie. GMT+11), I will close the votes and declare a winner.

This is very difficult but I will do it.

According to the numerical count of voting, it would seem, by the smallest of margin, that I have the most votes.

I think this is an error in the current system we use for the competition.

As the incumbent for deciding the topic for the competition I feel this does not put me at 'arm's length' from partiality.

Therefore:

1. I intend declaring Charles (Bateleur) the winner. His count is so close to mine that the difference cannot be real. Besides, I reckon his image is more imaginative than mine anyway!

So, congratulations to Charles for a seriously great attempt at the topic.

2. I propose that whoever in future chooses the topic, does not compete in the contest for points. I suggest that the incumbent can enter an image in the spirit of the contest but does not receive votes.

Further:

I suggest that the winner can either 'pass on' the right to choose the topic, OR, open it up to suggestions from participants in some way, such that any partiality on behalf of the previous winner is remove, thus allowing him/her to honestly participate for points in the Challenge.

I am interested to hear other POV on this.

• Like 2

Dear John,

Thank you for your kind words, I am however reluctant to accept your gesture.

Perhaps we can work together with the contributors to this thread to evaluate the conditions and prepare the way for the next round.  This is a worthy competition as it relives the spirit and essence of Leica by using Oskar Barnack’s creation and should continue, for the finely crafted instruments are now more than ever the symbol of Leica.

Sincerely

Charles

• Like 3

Charles, I agree that the Challenge is important and must continue. Never in doubt. I just feel that the sole organizer should not win it. Maybe we can have an arrangement where more than one person decides and agrees on the topic.

All opinions from posters would be helpful on this. Please offer any ideas, either different or agreeing with these concepts.

• Like 1

Well, same here: bravo to both of you. Erl, if I understand correctly, feels that setting the topic somehow gives an advantage; so even though he must have won by points, reckons that Charles is the real winner, being innocent.

• Like 2

Thanks, Philippe.  

Having met  Erl on a number of occasions I don't consider it remotely feasible that he would have used setting the topic to his advantage - even if he could have - so I don't believe he should rule himself out on the grounds that others might harbour suspicion (which I don't for a moment think they would).  It would be a sickening indictment were others to hold that assumption.

The way that the Barnack Challenge has run until now has worked very well, ie the winner's 'trophy' is to set the next topic and set the dates etc, and I'd prefer to see the same format retained.  The problem with setting the topic by consensus is that inevitably it becomes complicated because someone will always end up bing unhappy with the chosen topic - it's human nature - and the process becomes extended.  For example, how would the topic be decided if two topics garnered the same number of votes etc?  

I think the same tried and trusted format should be retained and if the winner is not able to, or does not wish to, set the topic and dates then it is his or her prerogative to offer it to the runner-up as Erl has done here.  I don't get why a format that has worked well needs to change.

That's my tuppence ha'penny. :)

Pete.

• Like 4

Farnz and Gibbo have made sensible observations and I cannot disagree with them about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I do feel uncomfortable about setting the topic and then winning it. I would be happier if Charles (Bateleur) would choose the next topic, if he is happy too. I still rate his pic superior to mine anyway.

To Otto, who requested publishing the scoring, I will do that later today (my time) as I have an appointment now and must not be late.

• Like 3

While I consider you, Erl, to be the rightful winner I'm happy to set the next topic for the next round, for as I mentioned this challenge exercises both the imagination and the Barnacks'. Lets keep this challenge basically as it is (with the option of delegating the next topic) as I for one thoroughly enjoy the process and the spirit that pervades here and I'm sure others do too.

• Like 6