New firmware 1.4 available

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks a lot for your feedback about the new Leica T firmware!
Obviously most of the Leica T users benefit from the improved performance but some of you found some critical points.

We checked back with Leica Camera AG in Wetzlar, their definite reply:

The Leica T firmware update 1.4 is absolutely recommended.

The performance is greatly improved and the issues described in this discussion affect neither performance nor image quality of the Leica T.
Again: Thanks a lot for your feedback, everything was forwarded to the developers. All issues will be checked thoroughly and possibly corrected in future firmware updates (which will definitely come).

Regards

Andreas

• Like 6

Andreas - thanks for maintaining this great site and for interfacing with Leica on our behalf.  

This site is a wonderful resource thanks to you and the great contributions from the global community of Leica users.

Cheers! 

Andreas, Thank you for your help and thank you Leica for your good intention.

But I must say that I cannot use the manual mode in my Leica T, since the firmware 1.4 update,  because the camera change my aperture values and I have lost the control over my shoots .

I hope that Leica give us a solution on the next days

Regards

There's truly something out of wack here... Wetzlar claims that firmware 1.4 if fine... Many users disagree. 

====

What do you say:

1) I've installed 1.4 and it works well

2) I've installed 1.4 and regret doing so

3) I'm holding off until I'm convinced that the firmware (be it 1.4 or 1.5) is solid.

There's truly something out of wack here... Wetzlar claims that firmware 1.4 if fine... Many users disagree. 

Not really IMO.  The reply from Leica is pretty much spot on.  The new firmware isn't perfect and there are issues and they obviously need to be addressed by Leica but for most users this is a very welcome upgrade and an improvement over the old firmware.

Leica Wetzlar says that the current FW is officially recommended - and contradicts statements (of which we don't know the source) that you should wait.

Leica doesn't deny the issues described here but will investigate them - and fix them if necessary.

On this basis every Leica T user can make up an informed decision if he/she wants to update now or later.

Andreas

• Like 4

The easy work-around to the changing aperture display value (or shutter speed if you are in Shutter Priority mode) is to look at the display value BEFORE you half-press the shutter.   This problem only presents itself in the display (when half-pressing the shutter) and doesn't affect exposure accuracy nor EXIF data.  

The benefits of much faster autofocus and startup times and touch screen responsiveness surely outweigh this niggle (for me anyway).  No regrets here.

I'm delighted with these improvements.  They make it feel like an entirely different (more responsive) camera. 

T owners - I recommend that you take the plunge!  You won't regret it. 

It's hard to get people to take a second look at something, but this is, to my eyes, potentially worth a second marketing push.

Coincidentally enough, I got a "Discover the Leica T" email from Leica today, which is a good sign. It would appear they do want to actively revitalize interest in the camera, with the new firmware being such a substantial performance improvement.

Having used the camera for a couple weeks now, I'm still really enjoying it. I've shot it more than my M240, which is weird for me.

I tried to shoot in P mode and noticed that after changing my my setting (from A to P), the right dial is not working. It only become active when you half press the shutter button. After taking one picture, the right dial is not responding again and you need to half press the shutter button to make it work. I think this is a long outstanding bug but not fixed in 1.41 firmware. Hope that Leica include it in the list of bugs that needs to be fixed in the next firmware update.

Slightly off topic, but my visoflex would never correctly register with the body if left on and the camera powered down and back up. If i removed it and slid it back into the hotshoe, the camera would always recognise it was there. Since 1.4, on powering up, my T has always realised that the visoflex is there and I have 100% confidence to lift the camera up to use the Visoflex for focussing, the LCD will turn off and the Visoflex takes over once I bring the camera to my face. For this alone, i LOVE 1.4!

Mine occasionally does that Dunk, more so with formatting the internal memory, less often with the SD card.

Not really noticed any change, good or bad, since V1.4, I've noticed this from the start.

I always put it down to "poor contact" with the touch-screen, similar to the lack of response when swiping for playback, sometimes it is bang instant, others more often than not, it takes a few swipes to make it work.

Gary