US00678

New firmware 1.4 available

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is funny is that if you use Touch AF (or Touch Af and Release) after you touch the screen it focuses and shows the selected iso. If you press the shutter it dissappears... Definitely a bug..

It's the same for me when testing on Touch AF, the ISO is displayed when you touch the screen but does not when you press the shutter. But on Touch AF and Release, the ISO is displayed when you touch the screen and the shot is taken. 

But it since I am old fashion in that I only use the centre focus point and recompose if there is a need, this does not bug me. 

Given the very noticeable improvement in the T's AF speed, I wonder if it's possible to improve the X1, X2 and XV AF speeds? They have been improved slightly in previous updates but maybe there's still some potential to improve further. 

dunk

this would be a great

What is funny is that if you use Touch AF (or Touch Af and Release) after you touch the screen it focuses and shows the selected iso. If you press the shutter it dissappears... Definitely a bug..

Same with mine! I wrote to Leica Technical Support (in New Jersey) and received a response within hours. He said he will look into it and get back to me. What he also did was give me a file with the prior 1.3 firmware to see if I could roll back the 1.4 firmware to 1.3 and then re-install 1.4.  Unfortunately it doesn't work. When I tried to install the 1.3 the firmware screen doesn't recognize it and just indicates "Firmware is Up to Date".

I told him I am not the only one having this problem according to the Leica T forum and that it should become more prevalent as more Leica T owners update their firmware to 1.4.

This "bug" only affects "Touch AF" and "Touch AF"+ Release" so if you use any of the other focus modes you will not have this issue. Until this gets resolved I have reverted back to "Single Point AF" and will use the old focus and recompose method. It is annoying though not to be able to move the focus point around! I will update the forum when I hear back from Leica Tech Support.   

Unfortunately, aside a lot of welcomed improvements, there is a new bug in this release: aperture value discrepancy.

Here is the way to reproduce it:

- set your camera in A mode

- set an aperture value (say 5.6)

- half-press the shutter release and the on-screen preset aperture setting will change to 1/3 stop wider (5.0) - not supposed to change, this is aperture priority mode, isn't it ?

- take the picture and switch to review mode: the aperture value shown on screen will be one more stop wider (4.5)

After transferring the picture to a computer and checking the EXIF data, the recorded aperture is 5.0.

By the way, the discrepancy between in-camera review and EXIF data is the same in all modes.

I have gotten in touch with my Leica Store and they were able to reproduce this at will.

Jean-Pierre

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Help….! Maybe it's just me on a Sunday, but just cannot get this to open! What am I doing wrong?

You don't need to double-click it and launch it. You just need to place that file at the top level of your SD card, then put that card in your T.

Then start the T with the movie record button held down.

Unfortunately, aside a lot of welcomed improvements, there is a new bug in this release: aperture value discrepancy.

- half-press the shutter release and the on-screen preset aperture setting will change to 1/3 stop wider (5.0) - not supposed to change, this is aperture priority mode, isn't it ?

- take the picture and switch to review mode: the aperture value shown on screen will be one more stop wider (4.5)

After transferring the picture to a computer and checking the EXIF data, the recorded aperture is 5.0.

By the way, the discrepancy between in-camera review and EXIF data is the same in all modes.

I have gotten in touch with my Leica Store and they were able to reproduce this at will.

Jean-Pierre

Interesting. Was able to reproduce this bug. Hope it gets solved soon. 

Related to my use of the T, the main improvement resides in the much MUCH reactivity and reliability of the touch screen (particularly when switching between Viewer and Liveview or playing with the settings. Good move anyway from Leica. The general user interface become a true progress. But YMMV. Good pictures to all.

Help….! Maybe it's just me on a Sunday, but just cannot get this to open! What am I doing wrong?

I tried to send you a PM showing how to update the firmware but your PM in box is probably full so cannot send.  If you are still having problems, clear your PM box and advise if you still require assistance. 

dunk

OK, question for the knowledgable. I'm now firmly in the "T Club", received just now my new T18-56 lens.

I recalled reading where someone mentioned updating the firmware of the camera, with the lens attached, and suggesting that this would update the lens firmware as well.

This is what I am accustomed to with my experience with Fuji, body and lens have separate updates, and to update the lens you do it with the lens attached to the camera.

To date this has not concerned me, I have only had M lenses.

Is this the case, like Fuji, or not?

Gary

OK, question for the knowledgable. I'm now firmly in the "T Club", received just now my new T18-56 lens.

I recalled reading where someone mentioned updating the firmware of the camera, with the lens attached, and suggesting that this would update the lens firmware as well.

This is what I am accustomed to with my experience with Fuji, body and lens have separate updates, and to update the lens you do it with the lens attached to the camera.

Gary

You can update the body with no lens attached. Each lens will be automatically updated the first time you mount it.

JP

Edited by JPP1

My T camera's firmware was updated with the 23mm lens attached and during the update process I recall the camera monitor showing 'lens firmware update in progress' (or something similar) at one stage. 

dunk

Thanks Dunk.

And yes, too quick onto the keyboard.

I mounted the lens, and as soon as I turned the camera on it said it was updating the lens firmware.

All is good, and it looks a nice lens, similar to the X-Vario even.

Shot handheld at the 56mm setting as close as it would go. I have yet to work out how I will attach the Elpro system, but I will, bet on it.

Gary

I have just (Nov 2) received an email from somebody at Leica, whose name I shall not divulge, to the effect that:

"If you're on the fence about upgrading, you might hold off until you see more posts. It's still a developing story here."

Jean-Pierre

More on this bug; it's getting weirder when reviewing images:

- shots taken with an M lens are now displayed with the maximum aperture of the currently mounted lens (at the current focal length for a zoom) instead of "F0.0"

- if an M lens is mounted ALL shots, whether they were taken with an M or a T lens, are displayed with the maximum aperture of the currently mounted M lens (as defined by lens code)

Hope this will be fixed soon...

JP

More on this bug; it's getting weirder when reviewing images:

- shots taken with an M lens are now displayed with the maximum aperture of the currently mounted lens (at the current focal length for a zoom) instead of "F0.0"

- if an M lens is mounted ALL shots, whether they were taken with an M or a T lens, are displayed with the maximum aperture of the currently mounted M lens (as defined by lens code)

Hope this will be fixed soon...

JP

Regarding the f stop recording of an M lens........

That ain't going to,get fixed as there is no way for the camera to know what the f stop was. There is no electronic communication between the lens and the camera. The only communication between the lens and the body is by the six bit code and only if you use the Leica T Adapter M. The six bit code only identifies the lens and none of the aperture settings. 

Gary

Congratulations on the new T lens.

Regarding the f stop recording of an M lens........

That ain't going to,get fixed as there is no way for the camera to know what the f stop was. There is no electronic communication between the lens and the camera. The only communication between the lens and the body is by the six bit code and only if you use the Leica T Adapter M. The six bit code only identifies the lens and none of the aperture settings.

I fully agree and the best thing to do is probably not to show any aperture value at all for shots taken with an M lens. Far better than showing an unrelated value from the currently mounted lens.