New firmware 1.4 available

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just bought my T camera today mostly because of the news on the new 1.4 firmware. I also tried hands on the new camera with the 1.4 at the leica stores . It was super speedy and fantastic to use. I was quite disappointed to learn however that the store can not upgrade the firmware on the camera that I just bought because Leica German told them not to as there are bugs in the firmware . I still bought the camera as the store was having good promotion and just hoping that Leica HQ will soon fix patches for 1.4. I still am a believer and it is nice to see Leica start getting their hands on good firmware upgrades. Just beware on the bug as was told by the leica store

I just bought my T camera today mostly because of the news on the new 1.4 firmware. I also tried hands on the new camera with the 1.4 at the leica stores . It was super speedy and fantastic to use. I was quite disappointed to learn however that the store can not upgrade the firmware on the camera that I just bought because Leica German told them not to as there are bugs in the firmware . I still bought the camera as the store was having good promotion and just hoping that Leica HQ will soon fix patches for 1.4. I still am a believer and it is nice to see Leica start getting their hands on good firmware upgrades. Just beware on the bug as was told by the leica store

Strange... On their website they invite us to go to the Leica stores to do the upgrade there, and get advice.. What bugs are they?

http://uk.leica-camera.com/Photography/Leica-T/Leica-T/Firmware-Update-1.4

Edited by Daedalus2000

Thanks for this! I hope they can address the "bug" where the actual iso being used shows up with a half press of the shutter. It was fine before the firmware upgrade. Now it is blank when I half press the shutter. I was hoping I could re-install the firmware but the camera does not allow it. When I try (press the video button and turn on the camera) the firmware screen comes on but indicates "firmware is up to date".

This is very disappointing! A great and useful upgrade but now I lose the info on my most used setting (actual iso being used in "auto iso") when half pressing the shutter.

Where is the official Leica announcement ref the alleged bug? … What is this alleged bug? No mention of same after Googling 'Leica T firmware 1.4 bug' … And no mention of the store in the above post. 

dunk

Perhaps that is why the firmware is 1.410 and not 1.4?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for this! I hope they can address the "bug" where the actual iso being used shows up with a half press of the shutter. It was fine before the firmware upgrade. Now it is blank when I half press the shutter. I was hoping I could re-install the firmware but the camera does not allow it. When I try (press the video button and turn on the camera) the firmware screen comes on but indicates "firmware is up to date".

This is very disappointing! A great and useful upgrade but now I lose the info on my most used setting (actual iso being used in "auto iso") when half pressing the shutter.

I am not experiencing this.  I also use auto ISO and the ISO gets displayed correctly when half pressing the shutter.

I am in Manual mode with auto ISO.

So far so good.  Need to do proper testing but the AF does seem a lot faster with the standard zoom lens.

BTW, losing your settings with every firmware upgrade remains a bit tedious...

I have tried using the T on Auto ISO and I do get the ISO when the shutter is half pressed. I am on A mode. What are your settings? 

I've had my T for all of five days, so I haven't experienced the camera as it was when it launched, but just seeing how much better startup and AF is with the 1.4 update, I can't help but think the current state of this camera would be much different had it launched with this performance.

It's hard to get people to take a second look at something, but this is, to my eyes, potentially worth a second marketing push. It's like a different camera now. One would hope photography websites could be encouraged to update reviews of the camera: one of the problems I had in making a decision to buy a T was that all the reviews one can find are launch reviews, and they are all pretty down on the performance.

Reviews would read quite a bit differently now, I think.

• Like 1

I have tried using the T on Auto ISO and I do get the ISO when the shutter is half pressed. I am on A mode. What are your settings? 

I do not get the actual iso when half pressing the shutter in any mode...........A, S, P, or M. Before half pressing the shutter "auto iso" is shown at the top of the screen then when half pressed it goes blank at that spot.

As mentioned the only way I can see the iso chosen is to "review" the picture just taken and the iso is shown on the top of the screen. Hardly practical though! I want to know the iso before I take the picture so I an adjust settings if necessary.

I've had my T for all of five days, so I haven't experienced the camera as it was when it launched, but just seeing how much better startup and AF is with the 1.4 update, I can't help but think the current state of this camera would be much different had it launched with this performance.

It's hard to get people to take a second look at something, but this is, to my eyes, potentially worth a second marketing push. It's like a different camera now. One would hope photography websites could be encouraged to update reviews of the camera: one of the problems I had in making a decision to buy a T was that all the reviews one can find are launch reviews, and they are all pretty down on the performance.

Actually I thought most of the launch reviews were pretty positive, for example see Thom Hogan's review

The reason the T has had difficulty is that for the photography public they see a difficult choice with the lens price vs rivals, and for traditional Leica users the touch screen is a hard sell.

Personally I find the T's user interface excellent and I'm as traditionalist as they come. Touch focus and shoot, implemented well, is fantastic

It's the raison d'etre of the T, rather then an add on for most other cameras.

Perhaps the T was ahead of its time.

I hope it goes from strength to strength

• Like 1

It depends on the focus setting to see auto iso setting on the display.... strange

Wow!................I hadn't even thought of that!

I just checked and confirm the actual iso being used with a half press of the shutter IS shown in auto focus modes: spot, 1 point, Multi Point, and Face Detection.

It is NOT shown (and goes blank with a half press of the shutter) in auto focus modes: Touch AF and Touch AF + Release.

It is still frustrating for me because my normal auto focus is Touch AF. What are we supposed to do now? I wish there was a way to roll back the firmware upgrade and then be able to re-install it.

Comparing firmware 1.4 to the launch performance, it'd be pretty easy to believe this camera has a whole faster generation of hardware inside.

Comparing firmware 1.4 to the launch performance, it'd be pretty easy to believe this camera has a whole faster generation of hardware inside.

This is the reason I spent months deliberating whether to get the camera - so many things to like at launch but the sluggishness put me off [for a while].  If 1.4 had been on the camera at launch I would have purchased instantly.  

Wow!................I hadn't even thought of that!

I just checked and confirm the actual iso being used with a half press of the shutter IS shown in auto focus modes: spot, 1 point, Multi Point, and Face Detection.

It is NOT shown (and goes blank with a half press of the shutter) in auto focus modes: Touch AF and Touch AF + Release.

It is still frustrating for me because my normal auto focus is Touch AF. What are we supposed to do now? I wish there was a way to roll back the firmware upgrade and then be able to re-install it.

What is funny is that if you use Touch AF (or Touch Af and Release) after you touch the screen it focuses and shows the selected iso. If you press the shutter it dissappears... Definitely a bug..

Given the very noticeable improvement in the T's AF speed, I wonder if it's possible to improve the X1, X2 and XV AF speeds? They have been improved slightly in previous updates but maybe there's still some potential to improve further. 

dunk

Now there's a ripper of a thought Dunk. Hopefully Leica do this. While I can see they want to sell new cameras, it is one of THE catch-cries of the Fuji fold. Constant improvement.

I've thought more and more of getting the X1 out lately too, it has sat unloved too long, but I have too many "newer" toys, X-V, T, and film. Even the Leicaflex SL is sitting unloved.

Gary